have no audio with .wmv while uising windows media player, vlc or flip4mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carlogon, Feb 3, 2009.

1. carlogon macrumors newbie

please heelp , going nuts !!!

after installing VLC in my mac book , my .wmv files are no longer playable with windows media player, i was able to play them just fine before that ( more than 6 months)

i uninstal VLC
    I uninstall WMP, reinstall it and no luck. WMP crash right after i open the file , i made sure that when i put it in the bin WMP got deleted cause i was getting errors that a bunch of files were locked

I tried flip4mac, still no luck , i even try the upgrade available at windows site but no nothing, i get perfect video but no audio

I deleted everything and just left VLC and the same just video no audio.

i dont not what else to do , im running OS 10.5.6 , intel.
    I going crazy i even tried realplayer now, but still the same no audio :_(

any ideas pleaase

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Odds are a codec or plugin you have installed is overriding all other players when playing back Windows Media content. To fix this, check your user-level QuickTime plugins folder and the global QuickTime plugins folder for un-necessary and/or unwanted plugins. If you don't know where these are, they're in your user Library and the Library at the root of Macintosh HD, respectively - inside a folder called QuickTime.

3. carlogon thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply, i thought that after uninstall it, those codecs will be removed form the library , arent they? not sure how to check what files should be in that library and what shouldnt., any hints will be great, im a new mac user , not really wise with the command line.

I was thinking in restoring the whole thing back to scratch like windows but hopefully mac os has a better work around than that

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You don't have to use the command line for this, fortunately. It all depends on what you have installed, really. I have 2 things in my QuickTime folder and nothing in my Components folder - this is because I haven't installed any codecs.

5. carlogon thread starter macrumors newbie

cool , i find the folder, could you please let me know what you have in the quick time, i have a bunch of files in there
    thanks

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've got AppleIntermediateCodec.component (part of iLife) and AppleMPEG2Codec.component (comes with Mac OS X, I believe) in there. That's it.

7. carlogon thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, i tried delete a bunch of file still no good, and then i lost some other sounds , so i decided to format this thing for good, that did the trick after restorage i instal wmp 9 and everything started to work again just fine

thanks for the help

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

If I were to receive a WMV (which never happens anymore), I'd convert it to MP4 (e.g., with iSquint) rather than messing around with WMP, flip4mac, et al. (except VLC, which is a must-have).