iPad Have older retina iPad--which keyboard will work best?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by cmm, Jul 30, 2014.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I already have a case enclosure on the iPad. It's the only apple sells in it's stores. I would like a keyboard that work in harmony with my case (I like the case and the color and don't want to remove it. The case I have is called the iPad smart case, I believe.) It would be great if the keyboard somehow "connected" to my case for ease of typing.

As an aside, does anyone use apple's Bluetooth keyboard with their iPad? I think it's a little large and bulky to keep in my bag all day (my iPad is always in my tumi messenger style bag). Is it safe to assume iPad specific keyboards are smaller than apple's official Bluetooth keyboard?

If it matters, I think I have the iPad 3; I'm sure it's the first retina iPad, which I think is iPad 3.

Thanks!

2. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Did you ever find one you liked? I'm not sure there is one that works with the Apple case

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

None will "connect" with the Apple cases, but many can be used along with them.

I've used the Apple Wireless Keyboard along with the Incase Origami Workstation, which acts as both a protective travel wrap for the keyboard and as a stand that puts your iPad in a position similar to a laptop screen. It's a fine combination, but it is both bulky and a bit heavy compared to many keyboards designed specifically for tablet use.

I've also had the Mini version of the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover and their new Keys To Go. Because it's a stand alone keyboard, the Keys to Go is a good match for working with any existing cover that has a built in stand function, while the Ultrathin is designed to be used with a bare iPad. It does have its own groove that holds your iPad at a good angle for viewing.

Just about any Bluetooth keyboard will work with an iPad. Pick your favorite based on price, features, and portability; there's dozens to choose from.

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I'm interested in the Keys To Go, haven't been able to try it yet, none in stock where I live. Is it better than the Ultrathin in general, and in the typing in particular?

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Well, to be fair, I have the Mini Ultrathin, so my evaluation of it is going to be a little different than perhaps it would be from someone who has the Air version. The Mini edition is a very, very compact little keyboard, which has both strengths and weaknesses. It has very crisp keys and feels like any traditional keyboard, once you get used to the smaller size.

There were a couple of reasons I moved on from it: the outside is very slippery as it's out of aluminum; this wouldn't be as much of a problem if it were heavier, but it's so slim and light that I'd find it sliding across the table as I typed away on it. The size works against it too in that when you put the ipad into the groove it provides as a stand, the ipad is just too darn close for viewing comfort.

The Mini version also doesn't work well as a smart cover. It doesn't stay closed on its own. I don't know if they've corrected that in either model since I first bought mine. It really needs either a strap around the ipad/keyboard "cover", or it should be kept together in a snug sleeve.

The Keys to Go isn't a full sized keyboard either. It's a good 2" shorter than the Apple Wireless. But it's a bit more spacious feeling than the Mini Ultrathin. It weighs almost nothing, and it's actually thinner than the Ultrathin.

The typing surface on the Keys to Go is different, to say the least. You're really typing on fabric covered mechanical keys, so it does feel a bit weird until you get used to it. It's not as easy to use as a more traditional keyboard due to the fabric texture and the very, very shallow keys--it's a bit easier to typo with than most keyboards I've used.

BUT: I got used to that pretty quickly. I do type a little more slowly on it so far--I've only put a couple thousand words on it, so I'd say I'm still adjusting. But I'm liking it a whole lot. It's definitely the most portable keyboard I've ever used, which counts for a lot. It's device agnostic; I'm using it with the Mini to type this up, but I've already tried it out with the iPhone, and it will be easy enough to pair with an Air (or the fabled iPad Pro, should that ever materialize!). It doesn't slide around when I type on it. It's rigid enough to use on my lap (with the ipad off to one side, upright thanks to the smart cover). And of course, I can spill coffee over it without having to worry about needing to buy a new keyboard, which is a huge plus over basically any other model.

I like it quite a bit. I think it's a touch over priced at $69, and I could wish for more color options. But I can see where this keyboard will be a better fit for my needs than any other I've used or even considered.

Hope that helps a bit!

6. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Helps a lot, thanks. I have an Ultrathin on iPad Air, and it does stay closed and doesn't slip on surfaces when typing, so this must be because the combo is heavier than the mini, as you said. I have a Zagg keys Pro on ipad4, excellent, more robust and with backlit keyboard.

The problem is, with iPad design changing every year, these won't work, or not as fitting covers when I upgrade and I don't want to start an obsolete keyboard museum! So, the keys to go sounds ideal for just one portable keyboard that will work with everything.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I totally understand. The Ultrathin was something of a deviation from the norm for me; if I'm thinking about an expensive accessory, I generally won't buy one that is device specific, because as you said, the device designs change so darn frequently. I managed to get the Ultrathin pretty cheaply and used it on and off for about a year, so it wasn't a waste, but I do expect the Keys To Go to last me a good deal longer than that.