Have OS4 beta. What happens when it's officially released?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PanAm-L1011, Oct 16, 2010.

1. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I've berm downloading the os4 betas. What do I do when the official os4 is released?

2. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You restore to the final release. You should know that being a developer for whom the betas were intended.

4. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

My UDID was registered and i hadn't a clue.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

What's with the pervasive holier-than-thou attitude in here among some of you who have paid developer accounts? It's getting really old.

6. PanAm-L1011 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL. I am not a developer. Please don't be snarky. :) So, I just plug it in on release date, backup, then hit restore. I am a bit confused. I hadn't thought that far ahead when I registered my UID.

7. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

NEVER backup from a beta firmware and restore it to final release.
    Start Fresh or restore from a 3.2.x backup.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Developers are rightly very sensitive towards the issue of obtaining software without paying for it. If you don't like the attitude, consider it to be one of the prices you pay for using beta releases not intended for public distribution.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Uh, but the only way that you can use iOS software is if you own an iOS device. And Apple doesn't charge for these updates! This is not like using a beta of MS Office or some other paid software.

Having beta software distributed to a wider audience generally benefits everyone. Microsoft has finally learned this, and their software has improved greatly for it. The OP asked a reasonable question. The attitude in this forum has gotten to the point where we can hardly have a thread discussing the problems in the current beta without it being flooded with people sniping 'it's a beta'! every time someone brings up a problem.

I could pay the $99 developer fee without thinking twice about it, but I'm not about to. That's not to say I don't sometimes enjoy trying it out in advance. We can all do without the attitude.

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Just to answer the original question: I am sure that the Gold Master will be available on the Internet somewhere...Just use it to upgrade the current beta to the final version.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No one is stopping discussion of beta issues. You are not permitted by Apple to use the beta software if you are not a paid developer regardless of what you feel is right. Obtaining the betas outside of the developer program is software piracy and it is against the forum rules to discuss or aid in that. Some developers feel strongly about this issue. If you don't like the attitude, like I said, consider it the price you pay for jumping the queue and going against Apple's wishes. It's as much an irritant to you as people outside of the developers program discussing beta issues is to developers. The threads are still there, however.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Seriously, this irritates you?? I would hope you would have bigger issues to deal with day to day.

So what, specifically, bothers you to the point that you have to spend your time cluttering up threads with this attitude? NOBODY is harmed by this action, and no revenue is being lost by ANYBODY.

13. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

+1

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not to me personally. I have retired from development. I'm just expressing the story from a developers side. Discussing the fruits of piracy, even in this case, is a sensitive issue with developers. Relax and let it be.

15. PanAm-L1011 thread starter macrumors 6502

I paid to register my UID. So will I just be notified by the developer that the official release is out?

16. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

On release if everything goes as apple plans it will "brick" all devices upgrading, forcing everyone to go out and purchase a new one. Resulting in the best fiscal quarter ever!

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

We don't know: what did the contract between you and the developer say?

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I honestly understand where you and others are coming from. This may come as a surprise, but I am a huge proponent of developer's rights. A couple of years ago I was the driving force at my workplace to better manage software compliance - a move that needed to be done, but came at a huge cost to the company.

However, I am also pragmatic enough to realize that sometimes it's ok to break the rules. I am 100% ok with jailbreaking or rooting a device. (This was certainly influenced from my experiences back in the day of Windows Mobile when devices were shipping to consumers that would crash or lock up multiple times per day and we were forced to resort to 'illegal' ROM's that were actually stable enough for use on a phone. They should have beta tested better!) And I'm ok with beta testing Apple's software because I know we are not causing any monetary damages to any developer.

19. mac jones macrumors 68040

I understand the sensitivity to piracy, but this is different.

Betas are Betas.

having them public is arbitrary.