Have Pagemaker files need them coverted to something usable

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by nephron, Sep 22, 2008.

1. nephron macrumors newbie

Anyone with a set up that can read Pagemaker 6.0x files and port them to a modern page layout program (please be Pages) I would even be happy with PDFs.

This is a 500 page book I wrote in 1999 that is lingering useless on my hardrive

I would love to be able to access it.

Thanks

Joel Topf, MD

2. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

InDesign is the "upgrade" to PageMaker (really it is the replacement, since Adobe wanted something of their own, instead of supporting Aldus' software). You may be able to find some converters to other formats, but likely you will need InDesign, or a PageMaker to PDF converter that does not require a copy of PageMaker.

TEG

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Your best bet is finding someone who has PageMaker and can export your document to something else, or save it as a PDF. If you can do this, the biggest problem you are likely to have is the fonts used in the original document. You'll have to be satisfied with something approximating the original. InDesign might also work, but I've never had much luck getting older PageMaker documents to open in InDesign.

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

My boss uses PageMaker 6.5 (even though he has ID CS2 on his PC...don't ask :rolleyes:). For some reason he can't export PDFs, so he sends the file to me on occasion and asks me to "convert it to a PDF" (again, don't ask :rolleyes:) for him. 99.9% of the time, I just open the file in ID CS3 and it's good to go. Sometimes tracking/kerning/etc. is a little off, so I have to move things around a bit, but that's about it.