Have problem to reinstall Mac OS on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChaoscripT, Mar 29, 2015.

1. ChaoscripT macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have Mid 2012 MBP,
    I replace the HDD with WD Blue 1TB 2.5 HDD,
    When I hear start sound I click on ALT, then I get the WIFI window, I put my password then click on "internet recovery", when it's up I choose "Disk Utility", then "Erase" and make new name "Macbook HD", but the create parition takes very long long time, what's the problem ?

Regards.

Attached Files:

2. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

I think what you're supposed to do is to turn on your Mac, and when the screen lights up, press and hold Command + R until the Apple logo appears. This will take you to OS X Utilities. There should be a button that says "Reinstall OS X", which will allow you to install the latest version of OS X on your new disk. Make sure it is connected, and selected when your are asked for the installation destination.

3. ChaoscripT thread starter macrumors newbie

But I can't choose the new HDD, as it's new and not formated to MacOSX support .

Regards.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The first problem I see there is you have the drive formatted to the Master Boot Record (MBR) format and it needs to be set to GUID. Follow this to reformat to GUID.

MBR would cause the OS to not boot properly, but it should still format the drive.

What caused you to install a new hard drive? Were you having what you thought were disk issues with the old drive? It is very common for the drive cable to go bad in this model and that can cause a good disk to appear bad and also cause the issue you are seeing.

Do you have an external USB enclosure you can put the new drive in to see if it can be formatted there from recovery? That would eliminate the cable from the picture.

5. ChaoscripT thread starter macrumors newbie

Weaselboy,
    Thanks for reply,
    I bought new HDD because when I try to boot the MacOSX I got blink question mark,
    Now the HDD works at my Windows computer and I re-format it, but I install the WD Blue HDD and it's also blink question mark, but the Disk utility recognize the HDD (WD Blue).

Regards.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If the drive is recognized on your PC, but not on the Mac, it may be that the drive cable is bad. Did you try to reformat the drive to the GUID format I mentioned.

7. ChaoscripT thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, the "original" HDD (Hitachi 500GB) not recongized at MBP but at my PC is , but the WD Blue is recongize at MBP, and now I try the GUI.

Regard.s

8. ChaoscripT thread starter macrumors newbie

Just update, the problem was HDD Cable.

Regards.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh good. Glad to hear you got it fixed up. :)

10. ChaoscripT thread starter macrumors newbie