Have SL, should I wait?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by earthdan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. earthdan macrumors member

Hey everybody!

Finally got my UTD copy of snow leopard in the mail today.

I've been reading the forums and it looks like there are lots of bugs to be worked out with SL.

Would you mind giving me your opinions on wether or not I should update or wait till they come up with bug fixes?

cheers to all,

Dan

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Forums aren't a good representation of how stable SL is since people who are having problems come here to post and those who aren't don't. Make a backup before you do anything and do the install.

It seems pretty stable to me on my MBP. I'm sure lots of others will agree.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

SL as an OS is very stable. However there are a handful of apps that are not SL friendly. Your best course of action is to research the top apps you use each day for SL compatibility. Most s/w companies have SL compatible versions out now, or tech notes about what may or may not work in SL, so check their web sites.

4. jointsmoking macrumors regular

5. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

...or run the awesome free utility, AppFresh, to fetch and install updates for all apps it can find:

http://metaquark.de/appfresh/

There are three things I do for a major OS upgrade, and in this order:

Run AppFresh to update all apps
    Get a solid Time Machine backup (and if necessary, also run CCC or SuperDuper on another drive)
    Boot off DVD and run Disk Utility's Repair Disk option

Then after that, give the upgrade a try.

6. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies,

I ended up installing just because I am curious to see how it runs. So far it runs pretty well, hopefully it will continue...

By the way, apple is sending out another copy to me (a retail version) because my UTD disc was taking to long. It looks like it should be here today.

Is there any difference between the UTD and retail discs? Is one more preferable than the other?

Also, since I will have 2 copies now, will it be legit to install 1 of them on my wife's mac?

cheers,
    Dan

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Thanks for pointing AppFresh out. I had no idea anything like that existed. What a huge timesaver.