Have some doubts before i get iHome for iPhone 4 / iPod Touch 4th Gen

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rak007, Mar 20, 2012.

1. rak007, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

rak007 macrumors 6502a

I am planning to buy the iHome to complement my iPhone 4 and iPod Touch. In fact i plan to use my iPod touch dedicatedly with the iHome.
    My main requirements are

1. iPhone 4 / iPod touch 4th Gen dock
    2. FM Radio - since the iDevices listed above miss those.
    3. Good reception of the AM/FM Radio.
    4. Aux Input incase i don't want to use iPod.

I feel that the iHome models iA91 and iD91 (links below) suffice my need and budget (under 100 $).

The basic difference between iA91 and iD91 seems to be that the iD91 can also accept the iPad, anything else which is different ?

One important thing i wanted to inquire about was that can the iHome play the audio which is streamed over the internet on the iPhone / iPod with 3rd party apps like Pandora radio / Tune-in etc etc ?
    I would love if it can do that.

iA91 -> https://www.ihomeaudio.com/iA91BZ/
    iD91 -> https://www.ihomeaudio.com/iD91BZC/

If anyone owns any of these models, please suggest how it is.

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Please feel free to ignore this post, as it ignores your well-stated question, and serves to send you back to the drawing board. But...

Have you ruled out an Altec Lansing dock at the same price point? The reason I bring it up is that I think it will provide better audio quality. I do not know that for a fact, as I only have two different A/L docks (the older 600 and the more recent 620), and have not demoed an iHome. The A/L's fare well in reviews, being compared to the Bose dock as sounding nearly as good at a fraction of the price.

What the 620 doesn't have is an AM tuner or the clock/alarm functionality. But it seems like you could use your iDevice to perform clock/alarm features with even greater functionality. It has its own rechargeable battery, too, so you can take it out to the patio, etc.

Also, it will perform the function of playing through your iDevice's Pandora, Tune-In, etc., just like it will play any of your iDevice audio.

Regards,
    Tom

3. rak007, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. Actually yesterday entire evening i was surfing through amazon to lookout for other options.

I also liked the Sony ones but found out that they have only 120 V AC and in intend to take the dock back to my home country where we have 220 V AC.

Then i had stumbled upon the Altec Lansing Classic iMT620 inMotion and was really impressed seeing all the reviews and best about the portability.
    I am ok with not having AM and clock and i feel that A/L is fulfilling my requirements.
    I was planning to go to Fry's or BestBuy over the weekend to have a look and feel of the Altec Lansing 620.

If you have the same dock then i would request you to please check if it can also play the streaming audio (over tune in radio etc).
    Also i would request you to just check if the AC adapter says 120/220 V ?
    Sorry if it sounds dumb but i have never owned a dock before and the iDevice i have is also bought just few months back.

4. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

The 620 plays through audio from iPhone/Tune-In perfectly, and even displays info from Tune-In on its own little display. The wall adapter only says 120V, but I think this is easily fixed by getting an inexpensive voltage converter.

Regards,
    Tom