Have the iPad 'issues' been ironed out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by berthenderson, Aug 7, 2012.

1. berthenderson macrumors member

I bought an iPad in April, and the left half of the screen was yellowing, and the screen had about four dead pixels. I returned it and was given one that had a pink and green screen, so I returned it and got a refund. I'd still really like an iPad 3 however, especially since I've bought many apps that can't be used at the moment.

Have these screen issues been sorted out now? If I were to purchase one again, is it likely it would have any issues? I've also read about people receiving iPad's, and the iPad had a rogue hair actually UNDERNEATH the screen, along with iPad's having scuff marks on the aluminium and loose buttons.

Have these issues all been rectified now? Should I re-purchase one again?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

There are always risks of defects
    But most users seem to be satisfied with their recent purchases

The only way to really know is to make a purchase yourself again and see if you are happy with what you get

If you go by what you read on the Forums, you will never buy anything ever again

3. TurnTronics macrumors member

Wow, that is pretty shocking you received two defective iPads. I have never personally had any issues with any of mine, however it has been known to happen from time to time.

I would say go ahead and buy another. If it's bad, you can always exchange for another or return it. Good luck!

4. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

Not that shocking...I just tried again. First one had a couple of reflective pieces of something under the screen. One right in the middle. Exchanged and the second one had a dingier, yellowish screen and a loose home button that rattled. Returned it for a refund.

5. berthenderson thread starter macrumors member

You tried again recently?

Would it be best ordering from Apple's online store, actually going to a physical store, or going to another store that gives additional warranty? Or would the non-Apple stores have older iPad's (from release) in stock, that could be prone to a defect?

6. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

Yeah, just a few days ago from an Apple store. They were out a week ago when I went so they should have been fresh stock (AT&T 64GB). I originally tried when they first came out. Went thru 3 AT&T 64s (1: dead pixels, 2: bottom half of screen had very noticeable yellow tint, 3: had 2-3 big specks of dust or lint under the screen) and 1 wifi 32GB before finding a good one (it still had a slightly darker side to the screen, but I could live with that). Ended up returning it for a MacBook Air 11" as it turns out I needed something with flash ability on the road. Now I'm looking for another one. I might try once more, and if still no good, then I'm done.

As far as where to buy...probably a store if possible, just so that you can readily exchange if necessary.

7. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

Just an update....I tried one more today. Picked up another AT&T 64. Thought this one was perfect. But it looks like theres a scratch or tiny hair under the screen right by the YouTube app on the home screen. It's reflective so you can see it whenever the screen is on regardless of the back ground. I also found a few specks of dust under the screen, but was willing to let that go as everything else seemed good. Oh well. Its maddening, but once you've seen it, you can't un-see it. Back it goes. I give up...tired of the buy, exchange, return game. Guess I'll wait and see if the next generation is any better....sigh.

8. doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

geez this sounds like an awful experience with the new ipads ... really makes me wonder if I should just go get an iPad 2 since you do not hear about this type of massive issue ...

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yeah, you would think that wouldn't you. I think think there's a bit something else going on here though. Just a hunch.

10. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I finally got around to upgrading from my iPad2 to the new one (WiFi, 32GB, White). When it comes to issues, mine is rather unremarkable, it runs easily as well as my old iPad2, and the display looks pristine.

11. garbeth macrumors regular

12. HardRain macrumors regular

Have bought several iPads over the last few years for myself and family, included a couple of the new iPads, and had nothing but smooth sailing... Sounds like you have got some rotten luck!

13. augustya, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

The Least you can do is sound sarcastic in your comments to the people who have not been lucky and have been unfortunate to get the bad one's, Why the hell people derive divine pleasure in hurting by saying how they have been lucky in getting the good one's and how others have not been. :mad: Hope tables dont change the other way around ever for you !!

14. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

You just can't see it.

I've gone through 7 myself, and this is the best one I've had.

Can you see the defect? If not, then, enough said.

Compared next to a 2011 iMac with full brightness - which has virtually even screen and pure neutral whites.

[​IMG]

15. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

The issue of the iPad being a useless pointless product hasn't been solved yet, nope

16. doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

17. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

your ipad screen looks just fine.

18. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

If you are, I think I must be, too.

I've owned a first and third gen iPad. My wife has a third gen. None of them have had stuff under the screen. None of them have had any of the issues the OP described.

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

subjective much?

20. retinarob macrumors regular

Stop buying your Apple products in an ally out of someone's trunk--problems solved.

----------

Pics?