Have the iphone unlock itself while I'm home

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chad.petree, Feb 6, 2015.

1. chad.petree macrumors 6502

chad.petree

Is there an app (or maybe a tweak) to have the iphone unlock itself while I'm home? On lollipop there's a security/GPS feature that unlocks your phone as soon as it detects you're in the place that you have marked as home on google maps, is there something similar on ios? I find it quite useful, touch id is fast but not THAT fast , having the phone unlock depending on the time wouldn't be a solution because I come home at a different time everyday because of Uni

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I thought I read somewhere that code was found in 8.2 that will allow something like this if you have another piece of hardware with Bluetooth LE proximity (Apple Watch for instance)? I don't think Apple has geofencing coded for unlocking the phone though.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is a hack that can be added to do this if one jailbreaks their iPhone, but nothing for stock phones that I am aware of.

4. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

chad.petree

Do you know the name of the tweak? I already have jailbreak :D

5. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

CleverPin. Compatible with iOS 4 through 8. It works by matching Wi-fi network names, so change your wi-fi name to something unique if you haven't already. Also it's worth $2, but worth it for the time you'll save.

And yes, you have to be jailbroken.

6. Zxxv Suspended

This would be unsafe because someone having your iPhone could just walk unto you home to unlock it. What is better is once you unlock it whilst on your wifi network it would remain unlocked until you leave

though with touch ID its pretty redundant

7. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

Not really. You come home, connect to your wifi, unlock your phone and then its unlocked forever until you leave your network.

What happens when you go to bed and someone breaks in and steals your phone that's still connected to your network?

8. Zxxv Suspended

Then you have bigger problems. Anyway you have a time out function. after 1,2,3 hrs of inactivity it locks again. Problem fixed :)

You don't really need it anyway with touch ID though it could be good if the iPhone just wakes up when picked up after lying dormant for a set period (of course taking into account the time out/inactivity lock period)

9. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Are you serious? Somebody breaks into your house, comes into your bedroom when you're sleeping to steal your phone (where almost everyone keeps it) and you're worried about your mobile?!?!

Man some people have whacked priorities.

10. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Well, it's understandable from a perspective...

You can always get another wife... And it does save you the expense of a divorce. Plus, you might even collect on an insurance policy.

On the other hand, if they take your phone, you might be out $700 approx. for the phone, and they might purchase something with the credit cards you chose to store on the phone, and they might text or email your friends and family or coworkers.

So, from that perspective perhaps protecting the phone sounds more financially important.

On the other hand, if it's a choice of your life or your phone, you might readjust the priorities.