Have the issues on the macbook pro touch bar been sorted?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Game 161, Oct 12, 2017.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I know people were saying there were issues with bigs and battery life when it first came out. I'm looking at getting the 13 inch pro with touch bar. Still think it's a good purchase?

2. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

No.

I find the touch bar impedes my workflow and is an unneeded distraction (even when set to simply display function keys). The oversized trackpad, hit or miss keyboard, lack of magsafe, etc., have all contributed to my trying to return to a 2015.

Others will, of course, have different opinions.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

As far as I can tell it works perfectly for the vast majority of users wether they like it or not. And the better touch tool app improves functionality immeasurably.

4. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Indeed, my opinion is opposite. I don't want to argue your thoughts or claim you're wrong - just want to offer my perspective and leave it to the OP to decide what is best for them.

I use the Touch Bar daily now, in Photoshop, Notes, Safari, etc. I am also a heavy keyboard-shortcuts user, and it's still useful. For less used apps, you just don't feel like remembering a shortcut for every little thing. Do you really want to memorize 100+ shortcuts for every single app you use? For apps that you use daily - like Photoshop in my case - there's still a reason to use the Touch Bar. Sure, I know a bazillion shortcuts for Photoshop, but there is no shortcut to slide the opacity of a layer with a finger, or to pick a color from swatches straight from my keyboard, etc. Finally, one more reason to love the Touch Bar is BetterTouchTool, an app that allows you to configure the TB in really powerful ways.

As for the trackpad, after using new ones, I don't see myself returning to anything smaller. I have both the one on my MBP and Magic Trackpad 2 for my iMac. A bigger space for gestures, like rotating and zooming the canvas in Photoshop, is amazing. Not sure why some people have issues with the larger size - if you turn off 'tap to click', even those rare accidental cursor movements while typing don't occur, and bigger trackpads mean more precision, easier gestures, better experience.

The only thing I can agree is the keyboard, and mostly in terms of reliability. First, I have to say it's the best feeling keyboard I have ever used. A lot of people disagree, but for me, the keyboard is a true pleasure to type on. However, a lot of people seem to have certain reliability issues with the keyboard, and that is really not good. I don't think it's a reason not to get the computer, but at the slightest sign of keyboard issues during the first week, I would exchange it, and also would get AppleCare.

This is just my opinion.

5. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

Thanks for your thoughts.

Trying to decide on 12 inch MacBook Pro touch bar or the 2017 MacBook Pro non touch bar. Price wise the touch bar is £50 more expensive but got to decide which is better for me. Do like the thought of Touch ID to open the MacBook but I have an Apple Watch so really maybe it’s not a deal breaker.

6. leman macrumors G3

What kind of issues? Battery? That was a software issue which has been fixed a month or two after release...