Have the marketplace access rules changed?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by iMav, Jan 1, 2010.

1. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I've got 250 posts, a user rank of "6502", and have been a member since June 2008.

Shouldn't I now have access to the marketplace forum?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As you have just passed the limit there is a delay with the servers catching up. The servers can take a while to get in sync so we suggest leaving 24 hours and if it hasn't kicked in by then submit a contact us.

Looking at your account it seems as if the process has started so you should get access soon.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here is where it's covered in the FAQ:
    Only users with a history of 250 posts (user title 6502 or higher) and membership for at least 6 months can access the Marketplace forum. Once you reach 100 or 250 posts, you may not immediately be able to post in these forums. The privilege is added automatically when the forum system does routine processing, so check again in a few hours. The delay is normal, so please do not contact us to report it as a problem on the same day that you reach 250 posts. When you first gain access to the Marketplace forum, you will see it in the Community section of the forums.

4. jaysen macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but is it just me or does anyone else think the "marketplace rules" are a little absurd?

I'm a a first time mac owner/user and these forums have been a great resource for me. I frequent many forums; POTN, hardforums, anandtech, audizine, droidforums, glocktalk, etc... most of the forums have similar standards like requiring users to be registered for so long or requiring a certain amount of post. However, it seems MacRumors wants a little more then the usual.

I'm fairly knowledgeable and a very quick learner. So, fortunately for me I don't ask a lot of questions and I am one of the few who actually know how to use the search button. Anyway, before I get off track, my point is this.... I can understand a user to be required to wait X amount of days and/or months but also requiring 250 posts? Wow... a little harsh.

Grant it, I've been scammed many of times on different forums and I hate trolls just as much as the next guy here, but believe it or not there are a few honest traders like myself who have lives outside of internet forums - I can't be posting 1.5 threads/replies a day to reach the 250 limit. I don't find the need to post anything or chime in on "hot topics" and it seems as of late I've been doing so just to reach the 250 limit. Any internet transactions I conduct, wether I'm the seller or buyer, I offer and expect all Personal information be exchange regardless of the amount; Name, address, telephone number, and email. I've got tons of heatware feedback and that in it of itself should allow someone into a "marketplace".

I'm a sucker for new technology - I buy lots of things on impulse. B/S/T forums are what save me from my girlfriend leaving me. If I buy a new toy and don't like it... Instead of it sitting in a closet, I know someone somewhere, would want a good deal on new technology or used parts/etc...

Anyway... I decided to post this just to add another Post to my count =/

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its there to protect both the buyer and the seller and to protect the reputation of MacRumors as a good place to do trade. Only those with a good standing in the community can be trusted and it takes time to build that.

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

That's exactly why the Marketplace rules are as tight as they are. There is no problem with scamming in the Marketplace forum here. :)

7. jaysen macrumors 6502

Truly, you don't believe this do you ?

Just because someone has 250 posts and 6 months of membership makes that person an "honest" trader. Grant it, I can't speak from experience because I've never been in the marketplace but I'm sure there has to be some report of 1 or 2 upset buyers/sellers over trolls - it's the internet.

With that being said, I can understand the rules are in place to dissuade potential scammers; most do not want to wait 6 months, nor do they want to dedicate the time to post 250 times before allowing to be let in.

My thing is this, and we'll use Photography-On-The.Net/Forum as an example; You have a large group of mature people on that forum with a wide age range. The strict "rules" of a forum don't dictate a sites reputation for trolls or scammers (it might scare some off) the members on the site dictate their reputation.

POTN requires 30 days + 30 posts (IIRC). In the year that I've been on that forum (with my low post count) I've traded over thousands of dollars in camera gear and not one single hitch... Nor have I heard of someone being scammed... What's your explanation for that ?

Again - I am replying to build my post count. My concern for being granted access to the marketplace is this; I'm in the market for mac items - specifically accessories. Most the forums I visit don't have a big mac client base. 70% of the time I join a specific forum is because of their B/S/T thread - It's easier to off-load product specific items in a product specific forum....

/end rant

8. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I believe it. Trolling on the Marketplace hasn't happened since I've been a member here. Why? Because a member obviously values the forum enough to both post regularly and stick around. Therefore, if they troll, steal, lie et cetera, they're got something to lose; their valued membership on this forum.

9. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I think the 250 posts is fine, but the 6 month wait does seem excessive. maybe 3 months but a half year?

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I do believe it or I would not have posted. There have been a few issues but no deliberate scams from what I can remember. Considering the traffic on that forum, I think its reputation is intact. By having 250 posts on the system, people can look up your old posts and judge your character for themselves. BTW, posting just to increase your postcount is also against the rules. If you don't agree with arn's way of doing things, perhaps this is not the forum for you.

11. jaysen macrumors 6502

I see you rationalization and I whole heatedly agree with you on some points but one just stands out; 250 post/6 mos.

Someone (buyer or seller) can take the time, do a quick search and see the type of person you are but if all my 250 posts are questions re: OSX how does one formulate the opinion "im honest" - this I do not understand. An example; I post 250 times: How do you _____ this ?, how do you _____ that ? and then after im answered I never respond or I respond with - Thanks.?

Again, I just don't see the point.

Direct toward Ryan,
    I understand where you're going with this but to say someone "Value's" this forum only after they've put in "work" (250 post/6 mos), again is absurd. I "value" this forum and have learned a lot in the "short" time I've been a registered member here; Heck, I started to "Value" this forum within the first 24 hours after visiting it because of my lack of knowledge with macs.

I use me as an example; I've been registered on HardForums.com under the username: jaypeezee for over 6 years (should be 9, but the database lost my password so my account needed to be reset) and have just reached 375 post. I am extremely knowledgeable in Computers and try to help out whenever I can with answering questions but as you'll see (if you do a search) most my post are in the B/S/T forums.

I explain this because this goes back to my original reply to this post; I don't have time to dedicate to a forum and post daily because my job and personal life are demanding... To be honest, the only reason why I am posting now so often is because I'm at home sick and have nothing better to do :)

My Heatware Reputation speaks for itself; jaysen34 - 6 years worth of trading and all positive feedback.

-Yay only 200+ more post to go before I get "access" to the marketplace!

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its up to others to judge from the content of your posts whether you are an acceptable risk. By the look of your posts, most people would consider you a good risk but I would hate to see exceptions to a general rule be made. Also, remember that the Marketplace is a convenience to members here. Its not meant to be a goto place for traders. Although I have seen a few people contribute only marginally (to the 250 post limit) and then start trading vigorously in the MP, as long as they are above board I don't have a problem with it but that is not the intention of the MP. Like I said, its a bonus to members in good standing and not an attraction to new members.

13. jaysen macrumors 6502

I hear you... I'm not looking to be made the exception but I guess the old saying goes; If it aint broke, don't try and fix it.

I'm sure once I get my new iMac - and start fiddling with iPhone programming i'll have more questions (which in turn will build my post count)...

Ahh, oh well... Thanks for the good argument, err I mean conversation :) !

220+ post to go !!!

14. SpitzerCR macrumors regular

I know how ya feel, i have hardly ANY posts because im new to it all and mainly just learning.

Im sure the FS section is like when you walk over a desert hill and see rainbows and green grass with animals of all sorts conversing... but no really its kind of neat they go to great lengths to ensure good intentions.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The forum participation required for MacRumors Marketplace access isn't a guarantee that scams won't occur, but it vastly improves the odds against people getting cheated. The frequency of problems in Marketplace transactions dropped way down when the current rules were implemented. That's good for buyers, sellers, and for MacRumors.

What's really needed is a way to automatically measure honesty over the Internet. Then MacRumors wouldn't need to impose minimums!

16. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I am grateful for the requirements. I do alot on craigslist and these scammers are so annoying its refreshing to go onto the marketplace and see real postings

17. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

i like the rules the way they are. to many "floaters" bouncing from forum to forum trying to make a dollar on a quick scam. it helps alot. one or two shady dealers still come through but imho its so much better then other forums.

18. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

and as the other old saying goes "if you dont like it dont let the door hit you on the way out"

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Always so positive... what's really needed is a way to kick people in the boy parts if they don't come through! Half full, meet half empty!

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's difficult for a potential scammer to roll in and spend 6 months (hopefully) being part of the community and posting 250 (more or less) relevant posts (we are watching you, you know.. ;)). Why waste the time when there are greener pastures elsewhere?

That's the point.

This is not an arbitrary set of rules, we've come to them from many years of trying to keep the marketplace as safe as possible for all users.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Their English has to be reasonably up to scratch too ;).