Have the Snow Leopard Bugs been ironed out yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dale124, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Dale124 macrumors member

I bought my upgrade disc last weekend, but am afraid to install it if there are issues that are unforeseen. I was reading the "post your snowleopard flaws" thread, and it seems there were many, but these were from 1 or 2 months ago. How are you folks liking it so far. (sorry if this has been a subject that has been beaten to death).
    Dale.

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I've had SL since day one and haven't had any probs (aside from the whole no printer drivers thing...which was resolved a while back). you still have leopard right? just go back if you don't like it.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Ask us sometime next week when we have OS X 10.6.2 to play with.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It can't have been beaten to death if people keep asking like this.

No, the bugs are not put to bed yet. They are out and rampaging across the land. Trick or Treat, from :apple:.

5. sharkync macrumors regular

I've got 10.6 on my iMac but am paranoid to install it on my MBP as I am running Vista in boot camp and cannot take the chance it will muck up my machine.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Been running it from the start with zero bugs. Individual mileage will vary no matter what, even if you wait a year. Waiting won't help you.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Even before SL was officially released, I was using the developer beta. Zero problems. When I upgraded to the official release, still didn't have any problems. There was one bug and that was Safari using a slightly older version of Flash. I think 10.0.16 or something when the latest was 10.0.32.18. Very minor. All my programs installed just fine, major apps like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, and Office all work properly. Office still needs Rosetta to load the installer, but the app itself is Intel.

8. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard has been working great for me. I've always thought Leopard was a little bloated and SL seems to have sped things up.

What you should do is try and get all the latest updates to your current software if they have them. There is a lot more SL support from 3rd party applications now. Most of my Leopard programs do work in SL but there were a few that I had to update to get working. If you have a lot of really old applications then you might see some problems.

What you could do is backup your whole hard drive by cloning it. This way if you want to go back then you will have an exact copy of your current hard drive. I also prefer a clean install so you don't bring over problems you might have from Leopard. The downside is that you will have to reinstall all your applications but this will allow you to find out exactly which one is causing problems in SL if you install them one at a time. That's basically what I did.

People have done the upgrade route and had no problems so your experience might vary. I've always done the clean install or archive and install options in past upgrades and haven't had really any problems. Like I said it's up to you.

9. Dale124 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the reply's, guys. I think I'll bite the bullet and install it this weekend.
    Dale.

10. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Just to add to the other reassurances you have had from this thread already, I was in a similar position to you, bought the upgrade DVD about two weeks after it was released and never got round to installing it until two days ago. However, once upgraded I have been really happy with it. My MacBook runs quicker (not that it was slow with Leopard) and the new features of Snow Leopard definitely make it all worthwhile. So far I have had very few problems which did not take more than 30 minutes to resolve.

As others have suggested as long as you have a sensible strategy to the upgrade you will be fine. I backed up my Leopard system with SuperDuper (even going as far as booting from that drive and using my MacBook booted from that drive for a few hours). I also used the excellent website http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/ to make sure that all my programs were compatible and to download updated versions where applicable (I think the only things I needed were new versions of Little Snitch and Canon's Digital Photo Professional) and got those running on Leopard first before doing the upgrade.

There's always going to be bugs with any OS (new or otherwise) but I have not had any which makes me think I should have stayed with Leopard and not performed the upgrade.

11. TimNiego macrumors newbie

Snow leopard is less than perfect

My experience differs from most of the above posts. I've installed SL on a 2009 MB Air, 2009 iMac, early 2008 MacPro and early 2008 MacBook Pro. Each has experienced more hangs in the past two months than I have experienced in the last 14 years on Macs.

Much of the problem has to do with connecting to or switching between wireless networks. Waking from sleep causes the grey screen of death needing a hard restart.

I too am waiting for 10.6.2.

BTW, I haven't experienced any probs with FCS 3 or CS3 Prod Bundle. (where I do most of my work)

12. montysinger macrumors newbie

Extremely Disappointed

I have been using Macs for many, many years, and don't recall Mac ever making a product that received such bad reviews as Snow Leopard is getting. Take a look at the reviews of Snow Leopard at Apple's own web site. Many are rating it with only one or two stars out of five, and telling disaster stories about it:
    http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC223Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTI2NzQzMzQ

I was going to by a new 27 inch iMac until I started reading about Snow Leopard in the reviews and forums. Adobe's forums have many posts depicting trouble with Snow Leopard.

Has Mac, in an effort to compete with Windows 7, created a Mac "Vista"?

13. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

This was no effort to compete with Vista.

Apple only made a transition between soon-to-be legacy architectures (32-bit) to the new generation (64-bit, OpenCL, multithreading) and dropped obsolete ones (PPC).

Now it's normal that there are problems. It's a totally new OS inside. But is there that much people who had to do clean installs? And I'm not talking about all Mac freaks on forums because they're not representative of the average mac user. I had no problems with my computer (although it was merely a month old when I installed snow leopard), and many people say so.

It's not that bad...

14. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

Are you sure you read all the reviews for previous Mac OS? I remember that Leopard had a lot of complaints when it first came out. My least favorite OS X was 10.2 Jaguar. It crashed on me more that I liked. There are a lot people who are using Snow Leopard without problems but most forums are places for people to complain or find solutions.

Snow Leopard was also a quicker transition to a new OS for me because basically it's Leopard with "under the hood refinements" so I didn't have to adjust much to using a new OS like I did when I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard.

15. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Except for snow leopard giving me 2-3 hours less battery life it is working great :)

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I heard the iron broke, and they were resorting to beating the bugs with Mr. Microphones.

17. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

snow leopard works fine on my 1 year unibody macbook but its DISASTEROUS on my friends brand new macbook. avoid avoid avoid.