Have these been fixed in LEOPARD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jason2811, Jun 13, 2007.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

1) Does Leopard have a picture viewer like "Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer" or whatever its called. The thing I hate about Tiger is that you there is no way to scroll through pictures like in Windows without opening a separate application (iPhoto). I hate having to highlight all the pictures that I want to see and then opening Preview. Has this been fixed? Has this been solved by Quick View?

2) In Safari 3, if you have a bunch of tabs open and click the red X, does it ask you if "you want to close all tabs?" as it does in Firefox. I have had many accidents beacause of this in Safari.

3) Also, in Safari 2 if you open too many tabs at the end there is a >>> symbol that lets you view the other tabs you have open. I HATE THIS. In Firefox, all the tabs get small and you can see them all. Has this been fixed?

4) New application like paint?

Thanks.

2. 66217 Guest

1- In Tiger, just click Apple+A and then Apple+O and all the images would open, either in a slideshow or like Windows. Just much better IMO.:)

2- I think there is an option to restore your previous session in Safari. Try it.

3- That not really a error, it is just a matter of taste. You normally don't have that many tabs open.

4- There are some free-ware apps like paint. No luck here, Leopard does not includes this, at least not that I know of.

3. macguysoft macrumors member

I would say it has in a very innovative way. Quick View and Coverflow in Finder makes it seamless.

You could always use GIMP which is a lot better than the Paint in Windows. Not sure if Apple would really implement that though. Features are always subject to change.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

1. It's not a "problem" that needs fixing, it's a feature difference from Windows. Windows doesn't ship with anything like iPhoto. Apple figures you have iPhoto, so you can just use that. Either way, you can scroll through thumbnails of your pictures in the Finder when you are using column view, like this:

Picture 1.png

2. That has always been a setting in Safari preferences:

Picture 2.png

3. That's also not something that needs "fixing" that's just how Safari works. Some of us might like it better that way.

4. No.

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

[rant]let me go grab my copy... Oh wait I didn't get one cause i didn't go to WWDC, but i pay for ADC.[/rant]

anyways

1. You can open folders in preview by opening it and going to open.

2. already been answered

3. firefox does this too, just at a larger amount of tabs.

4.Just get photoshop...

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Picture and Fax Viewer is an app, like Paint, or Preview for OS X. I use Xee in Tiger to view and scroll through pics. It's like Irfanview on Windows. Kinda. Coverflow will be good for that though too, just like iTunes does now, but Quicklook is good for 1 pic, and Preview can open multiple pics.

Safari 3 now has the option to warn you before closer multiple tabs. It hasn't always been there, in not there in Tiger now. But it is in Leopard, and you can actually download it for Tiger now. See the Safari 3 beta on Apple's site.

They get smaller up to a point, but just like FF, after that point you get an arrow.

No, but you can download apps like ArtRage, Image Tricks, ImageWell, Poster Paint, Seashore, and several others for free and they still work fine.

7. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Not sure if you haven't seen this already since it was on digg's front page a while ago...

http://www.pixelmator.com/

I can't find a release date though!

8. osirisX macrumors regular

1. Hold Cmd+Option and drag a Folder onto Preview, it will open all the files it can within the folder.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Technically, neither does Mac OS X.

10. Transmogrified macrumors newbie

11. 66217 Guest

What??:confused:

All macs come with iLife.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

That's true, but the Tiger retail box doesn't include iLife apps.

13. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Not true - Safari2 definitely doesn't confirm with me if I want to close a window with multiple tabs open.

14. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Have you checked the box in Safari Preferences?

15. r1400sch macrumors member

To answer #1, I believe the "coverflow" feature of the new finder in Leopard allows you to view photos and other files this way without opening them, similar to how you can view cover art in itunes currently. Go check it out in the leopard section of apple.com.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I believe the preference warns you if you close multiple *windows* but not a single window with many tabs.

Everyone already knows about this plugin for Safari:

http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/taboo-03

It's free, it's been around forever, and it works without any major flaws. Why not just use it and stop complaining?

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I like this app. Only beef I have is how selections work - I'm not a fan of colored selections as this confuses me with Photoshop masks. I'd much rather prefer the marching ants.

18. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

This is exactly why Cover-flow will be useful in Finder!

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh oops I stand corrected. I could have sworn that was in Safari 2, but I guess it isn't.

Anyways, that is in Safari 3, so huzza!

20. Mekgek macrumors member

And what exactly IS BETTER about this SUPERGEEKY way of opening the images. Do you REALLY think this kind of thing makes sense to the average computer user.

What's easier then opening an image, and just clicking next and previous to browse to the next without any stupid keycommand like Apple+A and Apple+O...

If you really think this ridiculous apple-a apple-o thing is the best I suggest you try linux...... You'll have the time of your life memorizing all the keycommands... yeah it SUPERFUN!!!!

21. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

From their forum

Looks good though.

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah... works with a single window with 3 tabs, too...

Picture 1.jpg

:)

You had to use Taboo or something... [as said above...]

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

1. Yes, Quick Look

2. Yes, this is in Safari 3 beta.

3. Unchanged, but once they get really small they are silly anyhow.

4. Unchanged but as no-one has suggested it try Seashore, it's free and open source and like MS Paint but better.

24. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Get a cheap copy of Apple Works and you can have fun painting all day. It allows you to paint all the colours of the rainbow, gradients and textures. I've never understood the fascination with paint. It seems to have a cult following. What am I missing?

Also have a look at graphic convertor.

There is a thread here.

I also think you need to learn what is a feature and what is a bug. The lines do sometimes blur, but the way tabs behave is Safari is wholly consistent and obviously follows a specification. Just because it is not your personal preference does not make it a problem which needs fixing.

25. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I don't really like what Safari does in this case, but the firefox solution isn't that good either. I would probably be happy already if they added a button next to the >> which would move all the tabs in the >>-section to a new window.