iPad Have they fixed the book spine effect?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Branskins, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

My iPad Air has a uniform white screen except for the "book spine" down the left edge.

Has this issue mostly gone away with newer units? I really don't want to enter the display roulette if the issue still persists. Especially if I go from a white screen to a warmer screen...

2. luckylisp macrumors 6502

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

And you did check all the iPads on the market, right ?

I could tell you they have, since my iPad Air has nothing like a "book spine" defect ....

4. luckylisp macrumors 6502

My friend picked up one from a recent production week and it had it. Maybe you can get one without it, of course I don't know that, but I feel it's safe to say it hasn't been resolved since my friend has it on theirs.

5. Davidsr20 macrumors member

They won't fix this issue. Most won't even notice it.

6. Electa macrumors member

Got mine a few days ago. A retina mini.

Mine goes from white to yellow from top to bottom respectively in portrait mode.

7. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Just picked up a new Air today - mine has it as well.

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

If most don't see it, is it even there?

If most don't see it, then, are the few who do see it seeing something that isn't there ?

If a tree falls in the woods and..........

9. PDE macrumors 68020

Didn't you say that you got a good one from Brazil?!

10. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Yep, I hardly notice the effect, so it doesn't bother me. It's good in every other way :)

11. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Here's another data point… I started looking for the book spine on other monitors…

I found it on our original iPad and on my MacBook Air 2013 ! Yet, I had never noticed it on either of them before. (Before I went looking for it, that is!)

I've also seen it on older (November) and later (January) iPad Airs… the severity varies--ones with mild levels can be gotten used to. At higher levels… well, the many threads and user posts speak for themselves!

12. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Can someone show what this looks like with a screenshot?

13. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

LOL

Another one bites the [OCD] dust. Your life is ruined now because you can now see imperfections everywhere! :D

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm trying to return my car since the LCD display on the cockpit has an uneven tint ....
    I strongly suspect they are not going to accept it.

15. TheSwede macrumors regular

Some ipads are really bad, the gray shadow along the left side of the screen darkens pictures, web content, basically anything being diplayed on the screen.

If it is minor you will forget it's even there. The Air is an amazing iPad. I'd take an Air with a little screen issues over any other fullsized ipad any day.

16. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

It was visible on my day 1 air, replaced 3 weeks after buying as the screen cracked, replacement is uniformly white top to bottom and side to side.

17. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

Have they fixed the book spine effect?

I've tired multiple replacements and had varying degrees of this defect along with other issues. Really irritating as I primarily use iPads for reading.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I didn't seem to have a problem with that honestly.

19. Altis macrumors 68000

You joke, but the new VW Golf/Jetta lower model LCD display for the stereo can only be half seen from where the driver and passenger sit, because the viewing angle completely washes out. You have to move your head towards the center to see it. Sometimes I wonder...

20. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

The iPad Airs that I have either seen on display at the Apple Store or Best Buy, and that I have owned – all had the book spine shadow.

21. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Book spline, yellow tint are real and in some cases severe!

Boy, do you know how to misread posts!!

I see you have your own "OCD" on other issues... (anyone can search here or Google you)--somehow when you are concerned about an issue, it's OK and a real problem, but when others have a concern, then they are fools and it's "OCD"! (Insecure, are we?!)

I'm making an important point--that we can all get used to various defects--and not even notice they are there. It's similar to your point, but with a major exception--these defects are real, they vary greatly in their severity, and whether they are a problem *partly* depends upon the user. Some are so striking that most people would be bothered and are bothered; others are less noticeable and won't even trouble or be noticed by many people.

But simply mocking all this as OCD is an insult to people who actually have OCD for real--and showcases your own trolling behavior in being unable to acknowledge that the problems are real and some quite severe. Indeed, you are so intent on mocking people that you misread my post entirely!

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Did you find so necessary to refresh a three months old thread like this ? :rolleyes:

And now the "bookspine saga" will start again ....

23. Macalway macrumors 68000

All the gripes are totally legit. If there's an abnormality there's no harm in pointing it out.

You probably shouldn't care, but then that's up to you

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

25. Macalway macrumors 68000

It's just that if there are a shortage of recent defects we have to go looking for them in archives.

Short of that, there's away the OCD fallback. :)

Apple makes it really difficult though with their excellent quality control. :(