Have to buy 3.0 OS for new Touch 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BeKind437, Nov 25, 2009.

1. BeKind437 macrumors newbie

I got a new iPod Touch 2G in September from Apple. I tried putting a half dozen apps on it, like eBay and Facebook, but can't because my software is 2.2.1, not 3.0.

I have to buy the new software? I can't get older versions of the apps?

The software came out b4 the purchase of the iPod, I don't understand why it wasn't already on there or why a free download wasn't offered. I have an iAudio from Cowan and they offer free software updates.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Try calling Apple and see if they'll give it to you for free. Otherwise you'll have to pay up its only $10/£6.

3. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Apple considers the OS to be a intrinsic component of the device you purchased. The feature-set of the device was fixed at the instant they released the original 2G iPod touch SKUs, and this includes the features available in OS 2.x. OS 3.x bundles additional features that were not available when the 2G iPod touch SKUs were created, so they are not considered to be part of the deliverables of a 2G iPod touch purchase.

By purchasing OS 3.x, you are paying for those additional features that were not included with the original device.

The additional features delivered by OS 3.x were included in the baseline late 2009 iPod touch SKUs, and so OS 3.x is delivered by default in those iPods. All original 2G iPod touches still in the distribution channels at the time these new iPods came out, retained their original 2G SKUs and feature sets, and thus their original OS 2.x.

Because of situations such as yours, I think it is very unfortunate that some existing apps which had already been certified for OS 2.x have been withdrawn from distribution, and that new apps which could theoretically have run just fine under OS 2.x's feature set are now having their distribution limited to devices running OS 3.x.

For a very brief time back when OS 1.x was still current, Apple did experiment with delivering updated OSes which included new features for free, but they locked out access to the unpaid-for features until a separate purchase was made. This proved to be even more confusing to the average customer than their current policy of requiring fees for all major OS upgrades.

4. BeKind437 thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes should still have available the old apps for those who don't want to upgrade. I don't want the new features, just the apps. Is there anyway to get the old apps? Probably not.

I might do the above illegal download because I don't want to give Apple another dime, but, I don't need the new features, I don't want new software glitches and I've read that it has some, and illegal downloads run the risk of impairing the device.