Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cshoemake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I just got a new job, and i have to provide my own laptop. i have a powerbook 12" 1.5ghz g4 currently. however, the new job requires windows and windows software (i.e. - programs only designed for windows, etc...). so, my question to you, does a macbook run windows effectively enough to run most if not all types of windows software? i know i'll need to install xp or vista as well, i just want to make sure that the macbook will be efficient in this type of windows environment. any help, advice, or suggestions would be much appreciated. i just can't picture having to buy a pc. bleh.

Thanks!

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
If you run of Parrallels you should be fine. Apple notes that you should not use Boot camp for work applications as it is still in its beta stage.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
As long as you don't have to play games for work, you'll be 100% fine...

On a side note, what kinda company makes their employees provide his or her own computer!?

cshoemake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
As long as you don't have to play games for work, you'll be 100% fine...

On a side note, what kinda company makes their employees provide his or her own computer!?

i'll be an independent contractor for an oil and gas company. fun stuff. ;)

thanks for the advice.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
What Software?

i'll be an independent contractor for an oil and gas company. fun stuff. ;)

thanks for the advice.

Just a question what kind of software you you have to run? I have seen programs like CAD 2005 LT and other virtual tools running on a macbook and it is not fun. If this is what you need to run you may want to look at a refurb MacBook Pro. Just my opinion.

JohnMC

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I wouldn't be that confidence, what software are ou going need to run?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Just a question what kind of software you you have to run? I have seen programs like CAD 2005 LT and other virtual tools running on a macbook and it is not fun. If this is what you need to run you may want to look at a refurb MacBook Pro. Just my opinion.

JohnMC

I am able to run Pro Engineer just fine on my macbook and thats a cad program.....

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
...like CAD 2005 LT and other virtual tools ...

Clevin, Im only asking about more "open" programs and not private "company only" stuff.

The only reason I'm saying this is my college cousin has to run CAD 2005 LT and it is much slower than my MacBook Pro.

I may be way off the mark.

JohnMC

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you run of Parrallels you should be fine. Apple notes that you should not use Boot camp for work applications as it is still in its beta stage.

Honestly, if WinXP runs well now, and runs well 2 months from now, it'll continue to work fine (viruses and malware not factored in).

Just use it. It's almost not a beta anymore since Apple is about to start charging $30 for it.

cshoemake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
i'll be using it to run office (probably 07), and also to run some adobe acrobat (full version), and a program called deed plotter (windows only). bleh. if it wasn't for the deed plotter program, i'd be fine. question, if i run parallels, will preview on osx run equivalent to adobe acrobat on windows? what does the full version do that reader does not?

Thanks for all the great advice!

cshoemake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
also, one last question, when buying windows, should i go for XP pro, or vista home premium?

thanks.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
also, one last question, when buying windows, should i go for XP pro, or vista home premium?

thanks.

I would go XP Pro. Hope Premium is too new and probably still full of bugs. Most enterprises won't be upgrading for a long time.. I know my univ is waiting almost a year before rolling it out.

Plus, you might be able to find a cheeper price on XP Pro

HugMnster

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2006
Tyler, Tx
I would go XP Pro. Hope Premium is too new and probably still full of bugs. Most enterprises won't be upgrading for a long time.. I know my univ is waiting almost a year before rolling it out.

Plus, you might be able to find a cheeper price on XP Pro

I second that vote for XP proffestional. I have vista buisness on one machine here at work , mine an its ok but our corp version of trend micro antivirus / spyware does not have vista support yet an I have seen some issues with printer drivers. I do not plan to roll it out here for 6 to 8 months if not more.

jack

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
BTW, I wouldn't run Parallels - I'd run Bootcamp. That's how you'll get the best performance out of Windows on your mac.

I tried Parallels on all of my mac laptops (white macbook w/ 1.25GB RAM, blackbook w/ 2GB RAM, and this MBP), and all of them were subpar.

I mean, try both out if you want, but from experience, I don't think Parallels performs to expectations, at least not for me, and not compared to bootcamp.

In bootcamp, though, windows will fly!

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
AFAIK non-Intel Macs won't run Bootcamp; Bootcamp requires an Intel cpu.

I don't know about Parallels requiring Intel or not.

His whole post was about "have to buy new computer today or tomorrow" and he wants to know if he can buy a Mac that will run Windows well. The answer is yes.

cshoemake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
thank you all so much for your input. i'm probably going to pull the trigger tonight. it'll be a battle b/w the refurbished and brand new black macbook core 2 duo. (the white just doesn't look as "professional" as I'd like). i'll be upgrading the ram to 2 gigs, so it might be best to order the new one as they'll do it right away. the one problem w/ the way the refurb ships is that it's two dimms of 512, instead of a 1 gig. bleh. thanks again.

cshoemake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
follow up

well, thanks to everyone for their advice. i bought the black MB today. so far, so good. tomorrow is the windows install. i'll keep you updated. i ended up buying from an apple store, b/c i feared the laptop wouldn't be delivered in time. so, i still need to throw some ram in here. is crucial my best bet? i'll pay a bit of a premium for reliability. also, since moving from the 12" PB (1.5 ghz), I've noticed the screen is a bit more washed out on the MB. anyone know where i could download a good MB display profile?

thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.