Have to disable 3G to even make or receive a call!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Scott-n-Houston, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that in some areas, I get very low to no 3G, and my phone won't take calls or make them well at all... CALL FAILED over and over. Then if I turn off 3G, it will get 4 or 5 bars on Edge and will work fine.

That is just pathetic. My wife's phone on Edge works great most of the time.

Sometimes I think moving to this new phone was a mistake...

Do others find this to be true of 3G?

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

You live in the middle of nowhere don't you...a.k.a. a non metropolitan area?

Personally i've YET to encounter an area with Edge coverage over 3G on mine, well except that one roadtrip i took, there's no 3G in the middle of the desert

personally i think there's just no 3G coverage in your area. probably a bug though...idk

3. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

I live in Houston, but I'm experiencing this problem just outside of San Antonio.

This area definitely has 3G coverage. From my hotel, I've gotten excellent data throughput with 3G. It's the voice that's been sketchy... off and on.

Just now, I had 3G turned off and excellent Edge service... then I turned 3G on, and it went to 1 bar and "no service" off and on. Why isn't it going to Edge if it can't get the 3G?

Very pathetic.

4. pkagel macrumors regular

I live in McKinney, TX about 20 miles North of Dallas and my house had terrible coverage with my old phone and Verizon. With ATT I get full bars when using edge and it really drops down when using 3G. It's no real problem though as I only turn on 3G when I plan on browsing the net to conserve battery power.

5. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

Same issue outside of Providence RI. I've pretty much given up on 3G for that reason. Lots of missed incoming calls unless I have it on Edge. The only time I use 3G now is for browsing.

It sure would be nice if I could configure the phone to use 3G for the browser and Edge for calls/SMS. Maybe somebody at Apple might listen?