Have to give up using my iphone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshua1davison, Aug 27, 2010.

1. joshua1davison macrumors newbie

The problem is dreadful, I'm a strong iPhone lover on T-mobile. Had one ever since the launch and have upgraded each time, kept up with the unlocks and jailbreaks.. I've been a free man in the use of my phone. The problem now is that I got a job as a sales representative with T-mobile and of course I won't be able to use my iphone while on the job. So of course I'll be picking up an android phone now and I'd like help deciding which one. Thanks in return

EDIT: The reason I posted on an "iphone forum" is because I'm a fan of the iphone not the android series. The director asked me personally not to use my iphone while at work so I wouldn't want to keep it in my pocket, especially with the vibrations going off tempting me to check it haha. The only phone I have considered so far is the Vibrant as I am a huge fan of the retina display, it has comparable specs the only thing negative for me is the non-iphone 4 beauty, the lack of flash and lack of the app store. I'm sure the android market will have some of the same applications but from what i have seen they are a lower quality than the iphone applications. Anyways thanks for the suggestions so far!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just get a cheap phone and swap the sim during work. Or just don't take out your phone while with potential customers.

3. shandyman Suspended

if you want help picking an android phone, surely you'd be better asking on an android forum, rather than the iPhone one? :confused: :confused:

4. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Why not keep your phone in your pocket?
    A friend was in a similar situation last year, and nobody from T-Mobile gave him any problems.

Customers would ask him but he just said that he has one phone for business and one for personal.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. adztaylor macrumors 68000

As long as your boss isn't Steve Ballmer I don't think there would be an issue :p

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

it's not illegal to use an unlocked phone on a network... i don't see a problem here

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The problem is that he is a sales rep for t-mobile. It would be bad form to use a phone that they don't sell while on the job. I wouldn't think very highly of a salesman that wouldn't use his own companies' products.

9. mjz147 macrumors regular

I do understand completely what you're saying.

However it seems the only reasonable solution is to keep your phone in your locker at work. You are not required to keep it on you, are you?

If so when you are getting trained just use an old cheap flip phone, then when you start, just use the iPhone.

I do know what your saying, the boss is not going to like one of his employees using a phone that they don't sell, so if you want the iPhone that bad just keep it locked up.

10. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

So? I have been to car dealerships where the sales people don't drive what they are selling.

11. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

If you are making sales, nobody will care. If you suck at selling, better lose the iPhone.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I feel sorry for you not being able to use your iPhone, I have a slightly different cause at work for not being able to use my phone except in certain areas.

I work in a Natural Gas plant and the company has not made any ruling on the use of cell phones until last Monday. They decided that since they issue us intrinsically save Nextell Phones to ensure we won't blow the place up if we get a phone call during an accidental release of gas, that it didn't make sense to allow us to use the non-intrinsically safe phones. Now except in the lunch room and certain other "safe" areas we cannot carry or use personal cell phones. Having to leave my iPhone 4 behind is causing a bit of withdrawal symptoms so I sympathize with you.

However, this is an Apple iPhone forum, why come here to get info on what Android phone to get? Are the Android forums so poor that this is the only place to go to get decent info? Enquiring minds want to know.

13. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

As long as you don't use your phone in front of existing or potential customers you won't have a problem.

14. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Get a Vibrant. T-mobile doesn't have any other handsets that come close in terms of speed, usability or shiny-ness.

As for your iPhone, if you like it... keep it for personal use. At Ford, they make the non Ford cars park in a lot farther away from the main buildings.

15. calvy macrumors 65816

16. satirev macrumors 6502

easy solution here. lie and use the iphone to your advantage. when with a customer whip it out and tell them how you whole heartedly regret buying it with all the problems but you cant get rid of it now because of the att contract your in.

wah-lah

17. MrMacNasty macrumors member

Of course you shouldn't be using your personal iPhone while you are at work, especially if your working for a competing cell phone company! While at work you should do the job your being paid to do and not check or use your personal cell phone as a courtesy to the company that writes your checks. Save it for breaks!

Here are some solutions for you which will allow you to keep your iPhone 4:

1. Get a new job working at an AT&T or Apple store.

2. You could keep your existing job and only use your iPhone 4 when outside of the business while on your breaks.

3. You may want to consider a different line of work where nobody cares which phone you have.

18. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

why can't you keep the iPhone for your personal use and have a separate T-Mobile phone?

19. capn7 macrumors member

Wait until end of September for the G2.

20. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

This.
    If T-Mobile want you to who off their wares, get them to give you their flagship smartphone (I'd say the vibrant) and a line specifically for business use.

Then keep the iP4 for personal use.

Unless your personal line is anything to do with them or theybpay towards it, they shouldn't be able to tell you what you are or aren't allowed to own IMO and you shouldn't ever use your personal line for business use.

21. shandyman Suspended

exactly. my friend works for orange, but she has a vodafone contract phone which is exclusive to them and she has no problems, actually she's forever using it at work with no issues, just not when customers are talking to her. the company cannot dictate what phone you have for personal use.

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

1. You should not be using phone at work. Unless it is business, don't use it.
    2. Go ask this at android forum.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He IS using his company's product. Their product is the T-Mobile cellular signal. He uses the T-Mobile cellular signal.

Granted, many people will assume he's not using it, but you didn't say anything about it looking wrong to ignorant people walking by. You said he wasn't using his company's product and, in reality, he is.

For what it's worth I met a T- Mobile rep who showed me his unlocked iPhone on the job back in 2008. Of course, he knew I had an iPhone and was showing me his unlocked one. In that case he was being a GOOD salesman...trying to show me how I could leave A&T and get a T-Mobile contract!

24. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Since the iPhone is your personal use phone, keep it. You don't want customers to have you personal number anyway. The company should be giving you a business phone if they expect you to field calls from customers. Just don't use it around the customers. When you are trying to sell something, you shouldn't be stopping to check your missed calls or texts in front of them anyway. Save that till you get in the car

25. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I like my iPhone too, but I never forget that it's just a phone. Get the free T-Mobile android that will be the most popular among customers where you will be working and leave your iPhone out of sight while at work. It is really that simple.