Have to go back to Windows (don't want to!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aghazi, Jul 18, 2010.

1. aghazi macrumors newbie

Guys, hope you help me out. Here is my dilemma. I moved to MAC abuot 4 years ago by making a Hackint0sh. I liked MAC so much that I bought macbook and never looked back to Windows.

Recently I bought Canon 550D with HD movies capability and things started to fall apart. I am not able to run 1080p movies on MAC. Video is choppy all over the place. Same issue on both macbook and desktop. My windows 7 (64bit) is doing fine. 1080p runs like butter on win7.

I having been doing lot of troubleshooting since last week. Here is what I tried.

- upgraded my hackintosh to core i5, 4GB ram. Remember my macbook also has choppy 1080p.

- tried all OS updates.

- tried almost all mac player including QT, VLC etc.

- tried to change advanced settings in VLC.

- reinstalled OS

- change media HDD.

nothing worked. Now ultimately, I decided to go back to Windows as win7 64bit plays 1080p fine. I was using Adobe suit on MAC to edit videos. Now I have to get the same for windows.

Is there anyone else with same problem? I am disappointed with MAC, it should have run media files better than Windows. I don't want to move back to Windows for obvious reasons (no time machine, slow boot, viruses, unstable etc)

Any help will be appreciated. A big thanks.

AG

2. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Just get Boot Camp or Parallels then have both?

3. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

get boot camp and run windows on your mac...or go to a genius bar and ask why this video is choppy. Canon is a multi platform camera, id should work on both. If you have the sd card, try putting it in a card reader, or the camera usb and see if the transfer works better. The best way to play with such HQ video is to put it directly into the system, don't try to play or edit off the card.

I don't see how windows could do better than mac in any lifetime.

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

What video card does your MacBook have? You can learn this by option clicking "About This Mac..." in the Apple menu to open System Profiler.

If you have a MacBook with an Intel Integrated chipset, I think that's likely your problem.

Attached Files:

5. aghazi thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been doing a lot of research and found ppl having the same issue even on apple forums but with no solution. So I dual booted my machine and switched to windows 7 64bit for video work. If I am doing video work on windows then of course all of my video/photo repositories will be on windows and I will use windows more than MAC. In fact, I did not boot mac in last 5 days or so!

Looks like I am back to Windows after 5 years or so. Well done MAC!
    :mad:

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Hackintosh.
    Video problem.
    Nuff said.

So your leaving the Mac scene because you had a hack and it ran poor?
    Kthxbai

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1

The MBP in my sig runs 1080p awesome.

And, as of two days ago, I learned that it batch renders in Maya awesomely too! :D

8. aghazi thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe you didn't care to read the post carefully otherwise you would know that my macbook is having same problem and many ppl with iMacs are having the same issue.

9. Nefertem macrumors newbie

i had this problem too a few months ago when i switched from windows to mac and first thing i noticed was that 1080p movies were running choppy. Searched for solutions on the internet and etc but couldn't find a solution for me.

I was told on irc that apparently windows has an edge on video rendering or something like that. Can't remember exactly what it was but basically in the end windows was at that time much better for 1080p movies due to some software it uses to make use of both processor and graphics card. im talking about the mkv files though.

now i am using movist to watch 1080p and it runs fine. although windows seems more smoother with skipping and such.

10. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Did you even read his post?

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You didn't care to read the post where someone asked what graphics you have in your MacBook. If you had a MacBook Pro or a non-hacintosh (or at least one with the drivers correctly configured), you would not have issues.

12. jsdc2005 macrumors member

Are people on this site usually so obnoxious? This is a legitimate response to someone else getting called out for a jerky reply to the OP? Wow.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

By the way, I have a Mac. It is not a MAC. Just sayin'...