have to re-add apply pay cards after getting watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pesos, May 3, 2015.

1. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

Picked up a space grey 42 today from craigs.

I assumed that apply pay would just sync or whatever from my phone but no cards showed - I had to add and activate them again to the watch.

Then after avengers tried holding the watch up to a vending machine but nothing happened - the phone worked immediately.

Am I missing something?

2. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

From what I understand Apple Pay runs a seperate process on the iPhone (assuming iPhone 6, 6P). Once you setup the watch you will be able to pay for things without your iPhone.

I have not gotten my Apple Watch yet July 2017 I believe! ;)

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I was irked by this too but it makes sense. Every device has a unique account for your credit card, so that if someone steals your watch you just deactivate the watch's access to the card. You don't have to cancel your actual credit card.

4. pesos thread starter macrumors 6502a

pesos

Yeah not that big a deal to add the cards. But I'm wondering about the vending machine - do I need to do anything else to get pay working on the watch?

5. surferfb, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

surferfb macrumors regular

surferfb

You need to tap the side button twice before putting the watch up to the NFC reader.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There is NO CC info on your iPhone to sync. Only tokens assigned by your financial institution that are specific to that device. There could be no way for Apple to sync info it doesn't have or know.

7. Glene macrumors 6502

The watch has now made it reasonable to use Apple Pay. I never used it in my phone because my phone always had to carry a pass code which I don't want or the fingerprint, and I had to trigger it before I wanted to use it .

and now since you put your card into the Apple Watch directly through the app, not the phone, it just takes a double click at any time to bring up the card ..l..it works perfectly .