Have to repair permissions all the time

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jardins de Vin, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hello all,

I just repaired the permissions of my boot drive (Samsung 850 Pro SSD) and I noticed that as soon as I have them repaired, I have to repair them again. Is that normal?

Apparently there's issues with printers and Safari. There's no printer connected to the Mac.

All I know is that I repaired permissions, and then I had to repair them again. Why is that?

Thanks everyone

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, very normal.
    There will often be items listed when you repair permissions, and you can choose to ignore most of them, particularly if you run RP again, and you get the same list. Read: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203172

My own idea is - run Repair Permissions if that makes you feel good.
    Consider that "repairing permissions" seldom fixes any problem in any noticeable way. The results list may show you a variety of items, and are simply results, with little else that you need to do. They are just results, and usually do not indicate that you have a problem, and also do not mean that you need to run repair permissions again, nor do you need to do anything further. If the "permissions repair" completes, then that is satisfactory.

Bottom line: You can ignore the results list.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Thanks!

The Printer "issue" has disappeared, but the Safari one is still there. It isn't on the list from the link you posted – can I still safely ignore it?

It says some values are wrong with the following file and that they've been repaired:
    Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/index.html

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You should notice that article simply says the items included in that article are just examples - so you may see those, or your own list of results might show some different items.
    From the beginning of that article:
    and at the bottom of the page:
    Apple doesn't give you any clue about why those results appear, nor what to do with the results - other than "You can safely ignore these messages...(they are) generally not a cause for concern. "
    They are just information, and not an indication that something needs to be "fixed" in your system.
    Done.

5. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Alright then, I had some issues with my Mac so I thought this might be relevant. Thanks again!