Have to replace hard drive AGAIN!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Goglin, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Goglin macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I have a 2008 iMac.

Model Family: iMac
    Processor: 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo (E8335)
    Manufacturer: Intel
    # of CPUs: 1
    Display:
    Size: 20"
    Finish: Glossy
    Resolution: 1680x1050
    Backlight: CCFL
    Base Memory: 1GB PC2-6400 SODIMM
    Max Memory: 6GB
    # Memory Slots: 2
    Brand: Apple
    Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n
    Color(s): Aluminum
    Original OS: Mac OS X 10.5.2
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO (256MB)
    Base Storage: 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
    Optical Drive: 8x DL Superdrive

Was having problems after the first year I bought it, was told it was the HD. I had it replaced, then about a year or so later the computer died again. I just had a tech guy look at it and he said it's the HD again. What would be causing the HD to keep dieing on me. I don't overuse the machine just general at home use. Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be repeating. I will try again with a new HD. But there has to be a reason why they keep going on me.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Goglin, this is the PowerPC forums and you have an Intel Mac. You might get better help reposting this in the proper forum (if the mods don't move it first).

But in general, hard drives can be flaky things. If you didn't pay too much to have the last hard drive replaced the tech guy may have bought a cheap HD. They may have bought a cheap HD anyway.

You might want to just go out and get your own HD from a brand name you trust and ask them to place that drive in your Mac instead of just having them replace it. You'd at least know what you have inside.

3. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

---

Attached Files:

4. ppcfanforever1 macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Well even though its in ppc i could offer some help. It sounds like a possible bad motherboard or powersupply.

5. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Good to help others even if in PowerPC Forum

Same here... possible power supply or logic board issue. Its not good thats all I can say..

On that note, we in the PowerPC community should help others even if its in the wrong forum. I think we alone are the more experienced as we use PPC macs everyday, or at least try to. I have a Mac Pro 6-core and use that only for heavy stuff, but web browsing, emailing, everyday - G5 Quad all the way!

6. Goglin thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to find out for sure if it's the motherboard or powersupply? The tech said that he ran some diagnostics and didn't find any other problems. He removed the old HD and the Mac powered up fine. Is there a way that a lay person such as myself can tell if it's the motherboard or the powersupply. I ran the hardware test on start up as well as ran DiskWarrior and it didn't find anything wrong. I live in a small town with not too much to choose from in the tech department. Sorry for being in the wrong place.:D But I really appreciate the help.

----------

Be nice!!;)

7. Wildy macrumors 6502

How far into the boot can you get? Restart the machine and hold Command + v as soon as it turns on. See how far it gets until it dies and report the last few things it says. You might need to take a picture to get all the info down.

8. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I agree, and because we tinker and work to keep the old machines running we are more likely to have the experience to help others than the average newer Mac owners who are less likely to work on their own machines.

9. Goglin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you guys. I get the mac back with the new hard drive this afternoon. Sooo excited.::D But will get back to you tonight after work.
    Cheers!

10. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

That was quick. Sounds like you sent it out for repairs before you got feedback on this thread.