Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Goglin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Hi there,
I have a 2008 iMac.

Model Family: iMac
Processor: 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo (E8335)
Manufacturer: Intel
# of CPUs: 1
Display:
Size: 20"
Finish: Glossy
Resolution: 1680x1050
Backlight: CCFL
Base Memory: 1GB PC2-6400 SODIMM
Max Memory: 6GB
# Memory Slots: 2
Brand: Apple
Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.5.2
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO (256MB)
Base Storage: 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical Drive: 8x DL Superdrive

Was having problems after the first year I bought it, was told it was the HD. I had it replaced, then about a year or so later the computer died again. I just had a tech guy look at it and he said it's the HD again. What would be causing the HD to keep dieing on me. I don't overuse the machine just general at home use. Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be repeating. I will try again with a new HD. But there has to be a reason why they keep going on me.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Hi there,
I have a 2008 iMac.

Model Family: iMac
Processor: 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo (E8335)
Manufacturer: Intel
# of CPUs: 1
Display:
Size: 20"
Finish: Glossy
Resolution: 1680x1050
Backlight: CCFL
Base Memory: 1GB PC2-6400 SODIMM
Max Memory: 6GB
# Memory Slots: 2
Brand: Apple
Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n
Color(s): Aluminum
Original OS: Mac OS X 10.5.2
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO (256MB)
Base Storage: 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3.5"
Optical Drive: 8x DL Superdrive

Was having problems after the first year I bought it, was told it was the HD. I had it replaced, then about a year or so later the computer died again. I just had a tech guy look at it and he said it's the HD again. What would be causing the HD to keep dieing on me. I don't overuse the machine just general at home use. Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be repeating. I will try again with a new HD. But there has to be a reason why they keep going on me.
Goglin, this is the PowerPC forums and you have an Intel Mac. You might get better help reposting this in the proper forum (if the mods don't move it first).

But in general, hard drives can be flaky things. If you didn't pay too much to have the last hard drive replaced the tech guy may have bought a cheap HD. They may have bought a cheap HD anyway.

You might want to just go out and get your own HD from a brand name you trust and ask them to place that drive in your Mac instead of just having them replace it. You'd at least know what you have inside.

Comment

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Goglin, this is the PowerPC forums and you have an Intel Mac. You might get better help reposting this in the proper forum (if the mods don't move it first).

But in general, hard drives can be flaky things. If you didn't pay too much to have the last hard drive replaced the tech guy may have bought a cheap HD. They may have bought a cheap HD anyway.

You might want to just go out and get your own HD from a brand name you trust and ask them to place that drive in your Mac instead of just having them replace it. You'd at least know why you have inside.
---

Attachments

• funny-pictures-kitten-kicks-you-out.jpg
    funny-pictures-kitten-kicks-you-out.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 47
Comment

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Good to help others even if in PowerPC Forum

Same here... possible power supply or logic board issue. Its not good thats all I can say..

On that note, we in the PowerPC community should help others even if its in the wrong forum. I think we alone are the more experienced as we use PPC macs everyday, or at least try to. I have a Mac Pro 6-core and use that only for heavy stuff, but web browsing, emailing, everyday - G5 Quad all the way!

Comment

Goglin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Well even though its in ppc i could offer some help. It sounds like a possible bad motherboard or powersupply.

Is there a way to find out for sure if it's the motherboard or powersupply? The tech said that he ran some diagnostics and didn't find any other problems. He removed the old HD and the Mac powered up fine. Is there a way that a lay person such as myself can tell if it's the motherboard or the powersupply. I ran the hardware test on start up as well as ran DiskWarrior and it didn't find anything wrong. I live in a small town with not too much to choose from in the tech department. Sorry for being in the wrong place.:D But I really appreciate the help.

----------

Be nice!!;)

Comment

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
How far into the boot can you get? Restart the machine and hold Command + v as soon as it turns on. See how far it gets until it dies and report the last few things it says. You might need to take a picture to get all the info down.

Comment

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Same here... possible power supply or logic board issue. Its not good thats all I can say..

On that note, we in the PowerPC community should help others even if its in the wrong forum. I think we alone are the more experienced as we use PPC macs everyday, or at least try to. I have a Mac Pro 6-core and use that only for heavy stuff, but web browsing, emailing, everyday - G5 Quad all the way!

I agree, and because we tinker and work to keep the old machines running we are more likely to have the experience to help others than the average newer Mac owners who are less likely to work on their own machines.

Comment

Goglin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Thanks you guys. I get the mac back with the new hard drive this afternoon. Sooo excited.::D But will get back to you tonight after work.
Cheers!

Comment

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Thanks you guys. I get the mac back with the new hard drive this afternoon. Sooo excited.::D But will get back to you tonight after work.
Cheers!

That was quick. Sounds like you sent it out for repairs before you got feedback on this thread.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.