Have to send my Mac Pro back... anyone a similar issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sharky II, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi

I was getting issues in Logic Pro, with a piece of audio hardware (SSL Duende). I thought it was a software issue, but another user of the hardware and a 2008 mac pro doesn't have any problems with bouncing his audio down.

So i ran the apple hardware test - extended - off the apple CD. Passed the 'extended' test off the cd. No problems. Cool.

Shut down, tried to boot up again. Wouldn't get past the gray screen. The CD is still in the drive but not much is happening. I don't think the hard disk is doing much, maybe it died.

Tried to press T or C or D to try and get it to boot to do anything - no dice, gray screen. Tried PRAM reset, unplugging everything for 5 mins, and moving the Hard Drive to bay 2. No dice.

I guess i'll have to call apple tomorrow, and try to get a new replacement machine. I'm within my 14 days. Really gutted. Especially since i have people wanting to buy the G5 but i can't let it go right now because i have nothing to switch to (that works). I have my MBP but it's not setup for all the audio stuff. Apple are gonna take at least a week or two to get a new machine to me..

Really gutted. Hope it doesn't take weeks to get a new MP.

Anyone had this never changing gray screen?

My spec was an Octo 2.8, 8800GT, 500GB WD drive in bay 1 (instead of 320gb), and WiFi.

Thanks

2. prismra macrumors newbie

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here. Try holding down the mouse button as it is booting to eject the CD. See if it will boot with no CD in the drive.

3. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi, thanks for your help

I tried this, and the same thing happened. I can't hear the HD seeking.

After about 5 mins i got a picture of a folder on teh screen with a flashing question mark in it (OSX style, not the old OS9 looking style), so i am thinking the HD died...

I've already ordered a new one and am shipping this one back to apple...

Thanks!

4. jeffmc macrumors 6502

the most common reason for this is a bad board on the hard drive itself.

did you try a different drive or even booting from a cd without the drive plugged in?

5. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

well no, to be honest - it's obviously broken so i'd rather just send it back and get a new machine. that way if something is being weird in the future, i'll know it isn't the machine.

i am happy to make do with my g5 and mbp for now!!

6. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

You can eject the disk manually. Check the documents that came with the machine - it tells you how to do it. I had to do this when my XP install screwed up.
    Alan