Have trackpad clicking issues? Found a solution!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apple.fiend, Jun 21, 2011.

1. apple.fiend macrumors member

I have been plagued with problems regarding the track pad (not registering clicks) and have tried the tightening screw method to improve responsiveness, but the problem would come back shortly after.

Today I tried a new technique. Remove the screw completely (tiny screw-disk) and between the actual trackpad and the screw, put a small piece of paper. So basically all I did was cut a tiny, tiny rectangle out of paper, folded it in half to make a square, then cut down to size to fit the hole. I then placed the screw back in and tightened until it was perfect for me.

So it clicks like a dream, no problems, and I am noticing that the click is less noisy than before. Just my experiences.

2. mike2732 macrumors member

I've never clicked my trackpad. From when I first got my MacBook it was just natural to tap for right-click and two-finger tap for left-click. Pros: never wear out the trackpad. Cons: None? Plus I LOOOOVE how you can left-click no matter where you are on the trackpad with your fingers. No more looking for the button/bottom-left corner!

3. apple.fiend thread starter macrumors member

I guess the way I have been accustomed to laptops (first laptop was a iBook) I have always rested my thumb on the click button, and since the transition to a trackpad with no button, but thumb stills rests on the bottom. Im just so used to clicking, even though I have the tap feature enabled, like to use both. For example, to drag stuff/windows I need to used a button, I cannot do that with touch (as well).

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i can't stand tap-to-click so i use the bottom left trackpad click as left click and the bottom right as a one-click right click.

in any case i'm glad you found a solution to your trackpad. cool makeshift fix rather than possibly paying for repairs depending on the disfunction, just hope your piece of paper holds up. :]