Have two partitions and want one - TM external

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by breug, Jul 8, 2011.

1. breug macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have question about an external disk I use for Time Machine.
    The disk consists of two partitions. I use one for TM but I need it to be bigger now and want to 'deactivate' the other partition to get more space.

Is there a way to change my external disk into one partition? And can I prevent losing my backups?

I have a Macbook with 10.5.8

Thanks!

2. breug thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't drag/delete partitions

Thanks, this looks easy, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.

I cannot click functions like the minus or drag from a corner, it's al grey (I am in an administrator account).

I have really been searching and trying, I have no clue what I might have overlooked. I hope someone can help me with this.

screenshot

3. breug thread starter macrumors newbie

I did erase my disc and partitioned it again as 1 partition and am making a new backup.

It turns out there is a difference between hard/soft partitions, and hard ones can't change

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Sorry I didn't get back to you, I was asleep. Yeah, all you had to do was click on the "Backup Handmatig" box below the "Time Machine" box to select it. After you have it selected you can click the minus and plus buttons. You would click the minus.

I'm still learning about hard/soft partitions, but I don't think you had a hard partiton.