Have we been spoiled by retina?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scytus, Oct 26, 2012.

1. scytus, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

scytus macrumors newbie

I'm one of the members of the community that is actually quite excited for the 2012 iMac (I haven't used an optical drive in ages) and plan to buy the 27-inch when it releases.

Right now I own an iPad (3rd-gen) with retina display, as well as a dell laptop I've had for ages for my computing needs. Whenever I want to consume any media, be it watching trailers or viewing photos, I always opt for the iPad, as the retina screen ensures me the best experience; I dislike doing anything of the sort on the laptop.

Now I plan to buy a rMBP (as that screen is also gorgeous) and realized a concern: the new iMac wouldn't have a retina display, thus making me fear that I'd want to use the MBP (or iPad) for consuming media content - something I don't want. I don't want to be using a magnificent 27-inch iMac then opt for a smaller macbook to watch content on.

It might even ruin my experience of the iMac in every sense - not just media consumption - after being spoiled by retina displays. Is this something to have concern over? or would it be nothing like I'm imagining?

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

you dont lose anything if you return within 14 days :)

try it out

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It won't happen if you sit the normal distance from it. It's nothing like going from retina iPhone to a laptop.

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

The 27" iMac is retina, isn't it?

Retina isn't a function of ppi, it's a function of ppi and distance.

Also remember that part of what makes the rMBP screen jump out so vividly is that it's laminated, which the new iMac screen also is.

5. scytus thread starter macrumors newbie

Would that new screen improve the color reproduction like it did the iPhone?

6. drjsway, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

drjsway macrumors 6502a

27" iMac becomes retina at 32"
    21.5" iMac becomes retina at 34".

Edit: By the way, Intel says real retina is coming 2013