Have you actually used the Xoom at all?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by langis.elbasunu, Mar 17, 2011.

1. langis.elbasunu macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

I tried it out the other day and was rather underwhelmed. Here are a few things I noticed:

1. highly convoluted interfacing
    2. lag while scrolling
    3. much better camera than ipad2
    4. resolution variance makes no difference and in fact, ipad 2 has a better screen.
    5. Its a bit louder than ipad 2 which is nice.
    6. LED flash is good as well.
    7. Android Market is pathetic
    8. very buggy and jittery scrolling on xoom
    9. widgets are kinda neat i guess but totally unnecessary for the most part.
    10. its a bulky device and doesnt feel great in your hands
    11. more customizable options (may or may not be a good thing)
    12. the device and OS itself seem very sterile

Overall, its not a terrible product but really needs a ton of work. Where it excels is the rear facing camera w/ flash and volume of stereo speakers even though I dont believe stereo was necessary. Its also nice to be able to just dump files on there as you wish without something like itunes.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I purchased mine at 10am and returned it 24 hours later. It has got some growing up to do.

3. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Bought mine a little over a week ago. Thought it was really slick, but as the days kept coming I became less and less enthused with it. Kept running into situations where it just wasn't able to do what I needed to do. A few points
    • The one widget I was interested in loading on it didn't even work.
    • The Facebook app crashes constantly.
    • There is no stock video player on the device. Seriously? This is a multimedia consumption device and you don't ship it with a damn video player? I had to download a 3rd party one from the marketplace that was ad supported.
    • It is a lot heavier than I first thought it was, over time you can really feel it.
    • They talked about how the tablet uses flash, but it still isn't available on it (I think it is supposed to get flash today or tomorrow).
    • The SD card slot doesn't work yet either. Don't know when it is supposed to work
    It's being returned today. I know the last two points will be corrected over time, but for something they are trying to use as selling points, I think it is pretty lame that those options aren't even available to someone purchasing when I did. I came to realize that there isn't much advantage to the Xoom over the iPad, and now I am going to wait for an iPad 2 to become available and fulfill my tablet needs.

Oh well, I tried.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I know the Me, Me, Me, Me threads are all the rage but did we need another thread to bash the Xoom?

5. langis.elbasunu thread starter macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

hey, i figured it was getting a ton of hate from a lot of people who have never even picked it up so I wanted to test it a give it an objective review. It wasnt all bad either.

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

The lack of Widgets is the biggest problem I see in iOS.

The second is the need to use the home key so damn much

7. omni macrumors 6502

I can't find it at best buy to play with :(

Been to 2 of them and can't find it a display unit anywhere.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I like the hardware.

Software just feels generally unpolished. Like desktop Linux distributions; everything is kinda thrown together and the GUI is badly inconsistent. (Desktop Linux is very powerful, but I don't think anyone will argue that the GUI is inconsistent and doesn't feel designed)

9. langis.elbasunu thread starter macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

LOL...i looked all over and then finallly asked and it was buried in the back

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

In 2 months, people will be asking what a xoom even is.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

I played with my friend's Xoom over the weekend. My friend ended up returning it on Monday.

Xoom is ok. It feels like a test product. Like Google and Motorola designed this product just to launch a tablet competitor to the iPad. Sorta of like HTC G1 (yes I was one of those original G1 users).

As others have stated it doesn't fee like a "finished" product like the G1. Limited Android market.

Android tablets will improve with version 2 or 3 likes Android phones. But I'd wouldn't even want a Xoom if someone were to give it to me for me.

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I only played with one briefly. Let's hope someone produces a decent device based on Android. Apple needs competition.

13. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I used it for a little, way overhyped.

The scrolling wasn't smooth and Android still feels like a beta operating system. The GUI was pretty confusing, in my opinion, but I am used to iOS.

14. bossxii macrumors 68000

I still have one I picked up a week ago but it Is going back this weekend. I agree it needs some time to mature and plenty of room for a more polished UI. The lock ups and lag is not acceptable afte r using devices like an iPad.

JB the iPad allows for widgets. It's possible, just not out of the box, then again plenty of people root their Android device to get around manufacturer lock outs as well.

15. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I found the display Xoom at my local Best Buy (it was at the end of the counter with the Netbooks). Unfortunately, the demo unit wouldn't power on...

Oh well, at least I tried to play with it.

16. langis.elbasunu thread starter macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

very convoluted interface IMO. widgets other than email and other notifications are pretty pointless

17. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Had mine for 14 days.

I liked it, but it was buggy. Resolution was nice for PDFs, but the ips on the iPad looks much more vibrant.

18. langis.elbasunu thread starter macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

yeah for sure...i couldnt discern any noticeable resolution difference between the 2 but i thought the ipad 2 screen was much more vibrant

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68010

Apple is far from perfect, but they'll always have a leg up on the competition as long as they continue to control the entire user experience, from hardware to software to packaging, etc. The android products just have too many chefs in the kitchen: hardware, software, cell carrier. Because of all the negotiations, you spend more time making all the partner companies happy and less time focusing on the end user experience.

20. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Play nice! ;)

21. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

My boyfriend has it and I have played with it for a few times. He also installed flash on it. The flash is alpha version and live streams are kinda laggy but youtube and stuff like that works fine. It didn't have any noticeable impact on battery life either.

When I used it I didn't encounter any lagging or crashes. I thought it was fast and responsive.

If I could take the digital copies that come with my movies and put them on a Xoom, I would get that in a second...but I can't. I would like flash, but I want the media more. And whenever I come across a flash site I can just ask my boyfriend to borrow his xoom for a few minutes. lol.

22. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

23. xraytech macrumors 68020

Well said!!!

24. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

John Gruber raised an interesting point about RIM's upcoming tablet. He felt that of the big 3 competing against the iPad, (RIM, Motarola, and HP) that RIM have the best chance, since a 7" tablet would be seen as more of an alternative to the iPad than a direct option.

25. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I have an android phone and love the widgets. It is just convenient to have weather, e-mail, recent news and calendar all up on your screen without having to go into any apps.