All iPads Have you changed the way you used your iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ElDogman, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

when I bought my iPad, I intended it to do the following things
    - be something to use to replace all the articles I print out.
    - take all my notes in class, so I bought a k760 keyboard
    - watch media and play games while traveling
    - use as a secondary screen

however what I ended up doing was using it primary for games.
    sometimes I use it to browse the internet or listen/watch something when I don't have access to a computer

as for what I intended for it..
    - e-reading.. I still end up printing all the time. Part of it is because I have access to an awesome printer at work. But another reason is the feel of flipping through pages. I don't think any e-reader can mimic that
    - notes.. I still use it for notes, but I think a macbook air or ultrabook would've been better and more productive. especially when traveling. I use google docs often and the mobile version is very limited

anyone feel the same way after using their ipad?

2. Kaye Star macrumors newbie

Kaye Star

The first iPad I had was from my high school, so I was kind of forced to use it to take notes and for some assignments. When I get my own iPad, it will be used solely for entertainment purposes. Games, blogs, email, web chat, etc.

3. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Yep, from barely using it to absolutely abandoned it.

4. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Nopes. I opted to buy the iPad to do my formal work-related reading. And, I continue to do so.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

No I use mine for browsing the web, playing games and that's about it. I don't take it out of the house, as I have my iPhone for portability. I don't have any email or iMessages on my iPad as I use my iPhone or iMac for that.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i was going to get my mini for reading and i still haven't read a book on it.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I got an iPad for games and internet and I use it for games and internet. I use it just how I though I would.

8. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

My primary reason for buying an iPad was as an e-reader, and that's mostly what I use it for. Before I would print out documents and put them in binders, but I wasn't very organized and it was too much to keep track of. Now I have hundreds of documents with me everywhere I go inside my jacket pocket, available to be searched. Yes, paper documents are nicer to use, but the advantages in portability, search-ability, and always having my documents with me are more than worth it.

Now that I have one, I also use it a lot for gps. I get lost easily, and while gps on a phone was nice, it can't compare with the size of maps one can get on a larger device.

I discovered it was easier to take notes on it than I expected. Not as easy as a laptop, but less obtrusive and easier to carry around.

And of course it's useful for Internet surfing, email, and messaging.

9. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I was not reading all the research papers I needed to while at my desk. Now that I have an iPad, I can not read them wherever I go, at all hours of the day or night.

10. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I've kind of changed the way I started using my ipad. I bought the ipad 3 when it came out and wanted to use it for content creation, but the hardware made it reallllyy cumbersome.

I just upgraded to the ipad air and my first Cellular ipad at that. Content creation is something I feel I can actually use this for now. Having GPS and mobile data, I'll be more likely to use it on the go more for directions and others.

Before I resorted to using it for web, netflix, and reading, all of which I felt the ipad 3 was great at.

So basically, the way I have been using my ipad is only getting better and more involving as hardware improves. Gotta love technology!

11. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I got mine to be used as a sort of portfolio and also for project photos during meetings with clients. I still use it for those purposes, but now I use it for ereading, the web, & movies much more than I did in the beginning. I also hoped to use it to draw with using the Brushes & Procreate apps, but after getting a decent graphics tablet to use with my iMac it's too frustrating to use the iPad.

12. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

That's an interesting question since I just got my (first) iPad last week. And this is something I've actually already thought about because I noticed it myself.

When I got it, I had no grand plans. I figured it would be a better device to play games on than my iPhone.

However, after getting it, I found myself barely playing games. Due to the increased screen size and real estate, I found myself being way more productive on it than I expected to be. In 4 days I sorted through 8,300 photos (just sorting them into folders at this point). I used the same app I've had on my phone for months. But it was just too tiny on my phone to feel motivated enough to tackle the job.

I realize a week isn't enough to figure out my "normal" usage, but so far, I'm rather shocked at all the things I can do that aren't game related. Again, nothing I couldn't do on my phone of course. Just things I didn't want to do on my phone.

13. mripadmini macrumors regular

I do pretty much everything on my iPhone 4S or iPad mini that I would have used my laptop before to do the same things.

14. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I do the usual web browsing and email as I expected.

Maps is now a really nice to find things when traveling.

I use Keynote to present with. I do some modification and creation of presentations.

I use NoteSuite to take notes all over the place. I take handwritten or typed notes in the lab while collecting data. I take handwritten notes in meetings and while on the phone.

NoteSuite is good for its organizational features and because it uses iCloud to sync with the app on my MacBook Pro.

I keep a number of technical documents in iBooks or GoodReader.

On the MBP I'm using iBooks Author to write a manual which is viewed in iBooks.

I take a moderate number of photos with the iPad. It is great for grabbing a quick photo of something to add to a presentation or email just to document a location or the appearance of an object. Cortex Cam is really useful for getting clear pictures in low light conditions.

I'm slowly using airdrop more and more to move stuff between the iPhone and iPad.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

For me web browsing, Youtube, and email are just the best on the iPad. I can't thank Apple enough for NOT ditching the 4:3 aspect ratio on the iPad.

16. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

I bought it as being more portable than a laptop and bigger than the iphone, I use it for Netflix (with Chromecast) at home, reading books, internet browsing and an organizer for work.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

When I first got an iPad 1 I wanted to use it on my bed watching Netflix and check with Tweets and Facebook updates. :apple:

18. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I heartily second this. In fact, I'd go a step further and laud Apple for identifying the 4:3 aspect ratio for the iPad. I wonder why other companies don't do this. For example, I would have like the soon-to-be-released Surface Mini to have a 4:3 aspect ratio, but they won't do it! I wonder why?

19. Electromatic macrumors newbie

(in school studying for a bachelor degree)
    Started out with

- Always having a synchronized schedule (my friends always asked me if there were any changes made during the day)
    - Taking lots and lots of notes
    - Download school related PDF files
    - Listening to music

Now?
    - Watching tv shows before I go to bed
    - When I play an instrument for tuning, tabs, backup tracks etc
    - Facebook

Don't really have any regrets buying the ipad even though I could do most of the things on my Phone. I know that in the future I'll use it in a more niche way again, tablets are here to stay in my belief.

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Same here, but I don't want to say that it's a slight against the iPad. More just me and my workflow and what I demand from a mobile device.

My wife uses my iPad now, mainly for media consumption. She does check emails, but she never takes it out of the ultra thick keyboard case which makes the thing almost as heavy as a 13" Macbook Pro but far more limited.

I was totally in the same boat. I bought it and used it daily, then after about a month I forced myself to use it at least once a week.

I spent more time using it to surf the web to find workaround for the things it couldn't do, and usually the workarounds involved spending money on apps and peripherals or jailbreaking it.

I eventually started using it for maintaining some media production hardware, but ultimately things that any device with a web browser could do.

In the end, the iPad was totally replaced by a Note 2, not perfect, but it works, and now I've got a Windows 8 tablet that does what I need a tablet to do . . . . . . somewhat clumsy, but it works.

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

Funny you mention it. I'm on the couch right now, with my Macbook Pro, texting on my iPhone and playing pool on my iPad! Oh, and watching Netflix on my Apple TV. smh! I didn't even noticed I was using all four until my cousin just said, "You have too much Apple stuff..." But, I usually use my iPad at night. I'm only on my MBP right now because I'm filling out sensitive information that I need to submit asap and need to make sure its done right.

22. Mindprey macrumors member

I have worked diligently to turn my iPad to my main means for work and pleasure. I can do about 70%-80% of my work on the ipad (I am a mortgage loan officer), and never watch movies or clips on my laptop any more. The only reason I keep my laptop is for my loan processing software that is not available for an ipad. I even set up a remote server so I can connect to my laptop from my ipad and use my loan processing software on the ipad.

23. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

thats the exact word. U kinda force yourself into using it because battery is so darn good, last me a week. U want to make use of it because this stuff are not cheap. However, now i plan to use as cctv camera for security so at least its actually on for a reason, for once.

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yes, the battery life is definitely something I miss too. The Dell tablet is nice, almost an 8" Surface Pro, but the battery will last 8 hours MAX. I use it enough to go home after work and keep using it for personal things but the battery needs to be charged.

And yes, they are mighty expensive.

25. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I intended to use it for all of the above and actually do.
    -books, newsfeeds, stuff via newstand...all the time
    -taking notes at work, I use a stylus and evernote.
    -play plenty of games and watch movies on it
    -during basketball games either my ipad or iphone are with me to track stats, etc.

Yes on device is nice, but not so great when mirroring to Apple TV.