Have You Checked Your Child's Credit Report Lately?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, May 12, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

For those not aware, you can obtain a free credit report from 3 credit agencies every year. Get one every 4 months and you have a pretty good free way to monitor your/child's credit report.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Link

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

my though on it is any company that gives credit to someone under the age of 18 should be fined heavily and before to eat every penny of the lost plus pay the family that had it done a fair amount of money for the trouble of dealing with collections.

Reason for it is it should be a HUGE and I repeat HUGE red flag if the person name applying for credit is UNDER the age of 18 and make it red flags.

That is greed on the parts of giving out credit not checking very deep.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I tried to check mine, and it won't let under 18 year old check their credit.

Attached Files:

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I have to do this myself. I admit I've never been curious because I don't like debt and do everything to avoid it.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I try to check mine ever 3-4 months. I cycle between each of the credit services and look for red flags.

All that I currently have on mine are my 2 credit cards and I think one of hte services has a record of Cable internet services I had but zero bad markets everything is good. It is kind of scary the details. Also it is always kind of internsting to see how often credit card companies make inquires on you.

I get about 2-3 a month from AMEX (have a credit card with them) and then 1 a month each from Capital one and Chase neither of which I have any intentions of getting.

Amex is my primary card and my back up a VISA is threw my bank.

6. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Credit is a tool. Yes, it needs to be used wisely and with discretion. But, like any other tool, it can help - sometimes immensely - if used correctly.

Do you also avoid hammers, brooms and vacuum cleaners?

Most likely AMEX is checking up on you, looking for signs of difficulties elsewhere (e.g., universal default). Don't worry about it, they do the same for just about everyone.

The other card companies are trolling.

If you're sure you don't want unsolicited credit card offers, you can opt out of that. They'll still be able to do a soft pull on you, but once they see the opt out they'll stop.

In many states you can now freeze your credit.