Have you downgraded?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by maflynn, Jul 2, 2013.

?

Have you downgraded?

1. I’ve downgraded due to it stability issues or bugs

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. I’ve downgraded because its not much different then ML

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. I’ve downgraded just because (explain below)

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. I’m still rocking with Mavericks and will not downgrade.

72 vote(s)
    80.9%
  1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While it appears from what I see in this forum Mavericks is fairly stable, though in searching on "downgrade" there are a number of threads.

So here's my question for those who loaded the beta, have you downgraded and why?

I decided to add a poll as well, though I suspect many of you guys are still on Mavericks :)

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Install on VM or External Drive and you won't have to downgrade just sayin'.

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not my question, I'm interested in those how have upgraded and decided to downgrade.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Haven't seen any possible reason to downgrade...

On DP1 I had one issue where if the computer went to sleep and I immediately hit the space bar to wake it back up it would show a black screen with the cursor and require a reboot, but on DP2 I haven't ran into that issue. All is running well.

5. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I did two rounds of testing before I upgraded my main installation, so I was confident that there were no show-stoppers before I upgraded. (1) I did a quick check via a clean install on a separate partition. Then (2) I cloned my 10.8.4 installation to the separate partition and upgraded to 10.9 DP1 over it.

Only after running with (2) for a few days did I install DP1 over my main partition (after making a fresh clone of it just in case). I still have my ML clone as a fall-back if I need to, but I've been happy. Parallels 8 was my only initial major problem, but they released a patch quickly.

I've seen a few random program crashes that appear to be related to the menu bar/dock/spaces changes. The Plex media center, for example, seems to like to crash if I launch it from the dock with the menu bar active on the secondary display. But it's not 100% reproducible. And calibre crashes on a lot of different operations.

But everything major works well, and the improved spaces functionality alone is worth it.

John

6. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Use the search function on MR and you find anything. :D

8. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

25/25 people not downgrading.

Safe to say the Mavericks DP's are going smoothly :D

9. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

No need to downgrade, it works tickety-boo on the iMac and the MBP is smoother on the RAM now. DP1 did something weird with hogging RAM, but DP2 seems to have it fixed.

10. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Have not downgraded yet...

My only nag so far is the absence of 2D Dock which sometimes makes it hard to see which of my apps are active. And the absence of iTunes sync of Calendar and Contacts to my iPhone.

Otherwise, Mavericks seems good to go...

11. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

I downgraded, and it looks like I'm in a very small minority. I went in expecting to have some difficulties w 3rd party apps, and boy was I right. Mostly it's just gaming stuff, but that's a big part of what I use my Mac for. I went through a LOT of trouble to get OpenEmu working on my iMac, and it insta-crashed under Mavericks every single time. Steam wasn't working great, either.

Aside from that, I also had a lot of pains with memory allocation on my machine. Running 5-6 Chrome tabs and Spotify/iTunes at the same time (very typical usage for me) would slow the computer down to a crawl. My iMac isn't all that old, either. I may have just needed a fresh install, but I can wait for the real deal.

Back on ML and things are running much more smoothly. Hopefully it'll handle the final edition of Mavericks when it comes.

12. silver25u macrumors member

I use DP1 and DP2 on my main machine until I realized it broke Adobe CS6 for me. If I could have got it to work I'd still be rocking 10.9.

13. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

CS6 was fine for me? Only After Effects crashed on startup (so does the new CC version)

Have downgraded to ML though - fresh install to clean system ready to be upgraded on release :)

14. jb510, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

jb510 macrumors regular

jb510

Perhaps a useful response option would be:

I tested it on another machine but have chosen not to upgrade my main machine yet.

15. froggyjo, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

froggyjo macrumors newbie

Any ideas how to downgrade? I would like to download ML but I always get an error message

"We could not complete your purchase. OS X Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer."

Any ideas?

EDIT: Found it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1602065

PS: I'm not sure whether I will downgrade or not, since Maverick runs quite smoothly on my MBAir 2013. But I would like to have the option in case I have to.

16. vindictum macrumors member

vindictum

On rMBP the overall responsiveness of Mavericks is so much better, that I will gladly close my eyes on the minor issues in DP2 (which are to be expected, as this is not the final release).

17. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I downgraded it's not ready for prime time on either of my systems

18. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

It is very promising and there were features I liked and will miss until GM, but the WiFi issues on my rMBP simply made for an intolerable experience. Some of my favourite apps (iaWriter, for one) wouldn't work at all, but it was really the WiFi issue that cinched it for me. I'll take a look at DP3 when it's available.

19. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I am still running mavericks. It seems to be faster than mountain lion and less battery consuming on my cMBP 13" 2012 :)

20. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The only real annoyances I have found are

• A wifi bug that occurs under specific circumstances (if i play audio via soundcloud.com and background the tab, my wifi dies and won't recover until it is disabled and re-enabled again). I've filed a bug report, as have others.
    • Perian is causing my Quicktime player to not function (so I'm using VLC)

Both, I can live with until they are fixed.

The big thing I expected to break, which didn't - VMware Fusion.

21. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I really cannot tell the difference. It runs good on my iMac 12,2.

22. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I downgraded, but may install on a second partition. I had a finder issue where it wouldnt search any apps correctly. I tried renewing the finder indexing, but it would never let me, only with errors when dragging the drive into "Privacy".

This was on a upgrade from a 10.8 install, so we'll see