Have you dropped a naked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Nov 8, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I have a clear back case and an invisible shield Glass screen protector. I really wanted to not have the screen protector simply because of the way it looks, but watching numerous drop test videos, I'm a little leary.

Any experience on the matter?

2. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Just a phone broc. Just a phone.

http://youtu.be/7lhXOgJ8ahA

3. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I dropped it the first day i got it.

Semi-dropped it actually.

It was tethered to my headphones and they swung it a little so it didn't fall straight downwards.

Nothing happened. But I did put a case on it after lol.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I have yet to drop my iPhone 6+ and it's been naked since launch. I have dropped previous iPhones before. Never a crack.

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Honestly, the screen protector is not your main defense against cracks. It is mostly for scratches. I haven't used a screen protector in over 2 years. If you have a case, just make sure that it has raised edges around the screen so the edges contact the ground first. If you don't like the screen protector, take it off. Just make sure you have a good case.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Several times…I'm on my third iPhone 5 by now, though the last two were not replaced because of that. I've learned how to hold it by now.

I have dropped my old HTC Touch Pro. Multiple times. Once when walking fast it slipped out of my hand from waist height and landed on the concrete sidewalk face down. Skidded about three feet before stopping.

I've dropped my Sanyo Katana in a cup of hot coffee when getting out of my car. It was in there for less than a second before I managed to snatch it out.

8. o2breathe macrumors member

When I had the iPhone 4, I dropped it and the back glass plate shattered. I make sure to have a case on my newer phones

9. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Yup.
    In the first couple of days I watched my iPhone 6 plus fall from my hands onto the concrete of the garage (I had a lot of other things in my hands and wasn't paying attention).

It didn't have a case.

No discernable damage

(well, except, it seemed to unbend my phone...kidding about that part).

It is just a random data point and if it landed differently it may have shattered the glass, so your mileage may vary.

----------

Well, it is actually only in part a phone. It is also has tremendous utility as a computer - browsing, emailing, document review, etc. etc.

I wonder at phone point Apple will drop the "phone" part and have a different name.

10. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Don't you think as a society we know how much things cost but we have no idea what they're worth.

11. Lashae macrumors member

I've dropped a naked iPhone before, it was my 5s, and it soldiered through with only one nick on the right bezel.

I'm one of the people who believe it's just a phone, I have Apple Care +, so whatever happens happens.

12. LeanneLand macrumors member

I have dropped my 4S a crazy number of times, and the most damage it has are a few small light lines on the glass in the upper corner.

It's truly indestructible for the amount of times I drop it. But I don't stress out too much about it. But it's funny to see the reaction of people around me. I've dropped it on the pavement a few times. Each time I pick it up expecting a shattered face but it's always fine. I wipe it on my pant leg and carry on.

My 6 Plus however will have a case, not be carried in my hand (like my 4S) and I've gotten Apple Care for the first time ever on a phone. Just too much money spent on it. But I'll miss my 4S. It's been awesome!

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Yeah, dropped my 4s once (got a slightly bent out of shape antenna at the top right edge) and my 5s (has a very slight nick on the chamfered edge).

Otherwise, I don't really go out of my way to baby my iPhone, and it's still looking fine.

14. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Not going naked so if/when I drop my phone it will still be workable. I have a clear gel case so if I dropped it down concrete stairs, that would be a problem. Even though I have apple care+ I wouldn't want to risk waiting another month for a new phone if there aren't any replacements. Once they have a plentiful amount of 6+ then I may not be as concerned but I'd rather not waste $79 when I don't have to. I think I used 2 of the replacements on my iPhone 4 and bought apple care for the 5 but was far more careful. Usually the moments I dropped the 4, I shouldn't have had the phone out in the first place...texting while walking on a busy sidewalk.

15. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No I would have a heart attack and die before having the change to pick it up.