Have you dropped your iPhone 4 yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thadoggfather, Jul 10, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I did tonight on carpet, with the Speck PixelSkin on. I had a Luxmo Argyle TPU case on that I absolutely love for slimness but I dunno I'm clumsy with cases at times so I think I might rock the PixelSkin to take hits and just use the Argyle when I feel up for it.

Plus I noticed the chunkier cases result in no flaw in reception. The TPU and other slim cases, while do not allow for the death grip and slow the reception issue process, still decrease the reception somewhat. I think it's because you grip it from farther away from the antenna with the bulkier cases.

2. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

My phone is in an ifrogz luxe lean case... I haven't dropped it - but, this morning I rested it on top of a pile of clothes on my bathroom sink. I walked away and heard it bounce onto the tile. It landed face down. No cracks. I was so afraid to take the case off to look at the back - but no cracks there either. Whew.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

The lean luxe is another slim case, glad to hear! If your phone survived a fall with that, I would imagine a Luxmo TPU can as well. Good news for my dad and me, for the times when I use it to show off the phone slimness.

I think PixelSkin or something heavy duty will be my daily driver though. I'm mostly careful but every once in a while I slip up.

4. k1ite macrumors newbie

k1ite

I had my phone fall off and hit tile before but only when it was in my i1015 pelican case. It's handy but only when not being used. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the bumper case on it so i'm thinking of cutting into the liner to fit the bumper case more cleanly.

5. nerk69 macrumors newbie

Yep.. while the phone was naked too. Fell about 2 feet onto a ceramic tile floor. The image and sound of the bouncing iPhone is not comforting... But the bright side is that there is not a single blemish.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

did u get a case or are u going to still rock it naked?

7. nerk69 macrumors newbie

I have this on order. But since it is shipping from China, who knows when I will get it.

[​IMG]

8. ziked macrumors newbie

Yeah. Three times. Twice two feet on a carpet. Once about 4 feet on a bus floor. I had a generic hard plastic case that I got at the mall for $10. Its not that good looking but is a damn good case for drop protection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Fortunately, I haven't dropped mine yet. I am using a iFrogz Luxe case.

10. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

When my phone was naked it slipped from the arm of the sofa. The phone must of rang and it vibrated right off the sofa, bamn!

No damages thank God. I have since put on a screen protector, leather back cover, and Apple Bumper. That should help a little the next time if and when it happens.

11. twigg macrumors member

I dropped it face first on to concrete once. Im pretty sure that it's slipped from my bed onto the floor a couple times too. I also toss it on my bed (it's a freakin bed, with pillows etc). Fortunately it hasn't cracked although I have tiny nicks on it, fingers crossed. Btw I'm not careless with my stuff, accidental drops just happen.

12. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Yep

I have the same type of plastic case. Bought two of them, one for a friend. I had put the Best Skins Ever on it front and back. I was moving the phone and it flew out of my hand forward and onto the floor about three feet.

Nothing.

Today I added the Best Skins Ever side moldings. I noticed with them positioned just right the finger of death is preventing your skin from making phone calls drop.

Regardless, I found I'm not comfortable even in the house without the case. It's tight with that two parts design and the top dropping over the top.

Noticed the bluetooth range problem is now solved with the BSE combined with this plastic case. Tight fit but it works and the grip is better.

13. teezee09 macrumors member

Yes twice in one morning. Once on tile floor in the bathroom and a moments later on the hardwood floors of our living room. I've only using a bumper and the falls sounded absolutely awful, but no damage - not even a scratch :). I've got a BSE shield on the way though because I'm sure my luck will run out soon enough.

14. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

These threads scare the crap out of me. I swear when I finally get one I am going to baby it. I can't imagine dropping it. As soon as I get it, it's going in the case.

15. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I've dropped mine three times. Twice in a row at the grocery store. I dropped it once (at about four feet), bent down to pick it up, & dropped it again! I'm so clumsy. :p The third time it dropped around five feet onto my rug. I've had a bumper on it since day one, so it doesn't have a scratch/ding on it. :) Granted, I do have a Wrapsol Ultra on the back & sides.

16. thepsychopinkie macrumors member

dropping

You know the fumble drop, where your standing somewhere and your just holding something normally. Then by some invisible force, your no longer holding it, but frantically juggling it from hand to hand trying so hard to catch it and hold it. Then it falls below waist hight and you start using your feet, like playing hacky sack, to catch it. Then BANG it hits the floor, the whole time your heart stops beating, like time stopped and you feel powerless against some unseen force set to destroy you. That happens to me at least once a week, two days ago at Best Buy, as I was explaining how some cases peel back screen protectors, it happened and I thought for sure my screen was done for. Luckily, it's all good and I don't have to replace my iPhone. I think there are evil goblins out to break fragile objects in my hands. The absolute worst time, was when I dropped my MBP and I died a little inside, again I was lucky with no damage.

17. gil716 macrumors newbie

Dropped 3x on hardwood floor already. Naked and not a single scratch! This phone is so damn slippery. My nightstand must be slightly off level, because when I leave the phone on it flat at night, it moves a few inches by the morning due to the vibrate setting.

18. katai macrumors regular

Mine dropped from my lap when coming out the car. Luckily I had bumper on and it took the hit. I have two scratches on two corners. Gonna try to exchange for a white.

19. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

Yes, but thankfully I had the earbuds plugged in and since it was the first or second time for plugging them in the connection is super snug and I prevented disaster! The phone was there just dangling from the earbud cord :eek:

20. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That pretty much described my 3G on the second day of owning it. Since then, learned my lesson. Phone stays in my pocket or death grip if I'm holding it. :D (Got a case, reception not an issue.. lol)

21. Hovey macrumors regular

Yep. First time was while sitting in the garage. Fell out of my shorts pocket. No case. Slightly dented the small plastic edge around the glass.

Second time was onto concrete with my iFrogz case. Case was scuffed on the corner, but that's it.

22. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Dropped mine the other day, or rather it slipped out of my old 3G case, out the car door, and bounced into the car park. My mate ***** a brick, picked it up gently and then just stared, not a scratch, dent or anything.
    He was that impressed he's getting one himself, and i'm now looking at the cases thread, deciding on what case and screen protector to get, as i'm not going through that scare again.

23. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Three drops with a bumper so far. 2 onto hard carpet and 1 onto a hardwood floor. Zero cracks or scratches to report. Scared me a bit though!

24. modest serving macrumors member

Yeah, good luck with that. :cool:

25. coolnwo macrumors member

dropped mine small scratch on edge.

Will try to exchange it for a refurb in 3-4 months when demand even outs a little to get a fresh one.