Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
iPod touch 5th Gen.

Last night was at my parent's place and I was trying to show my dad this Capture app by YouTube since he loves taking videos of families, outing, etc, so while showing him the app and me trying to turn the iPod around into landscape position, the iPod slipped out of my hand and fell onto the bed but then slide down causing quite a bit of impact on the concrete floor.

I didn't noticed anything at first and brushed it off, this morning while using the iPod I noticed the lower-left part of the device has a small bit chipped off and there's a tiny dent in the upper-left corner where the Wi-Fi "black rectangle" is, wow! Should have bought a case, three months after purchase and this happened lol. Has anyone dropped their iDevices before?

Also, can we assume the iPod touch 6th Gen is not coming this year other than receiving a space gray color addition to the current 5th Gen model?

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
No, i think you are the first person to drop an iDevice! Whats it like?

Yeah, seems like it, 500+ views and none of them had dropped their iDevice, super lucky I must say! As for the feeling: It's a sickening feeling like a part of you has been ripped off, slowly and excruciatingly painful. :(

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
I have in fact dropped my iPod touch, a couple of times. One time I dropped it at the grocery store I work at, I was sitting upstairs cleaning it, out of it's case, and it feel three feet down off the tall table I was sitting on. It was just fine! Not even a scratch :D (If it had fallen a two feet the other way it would have fallen twenty feet down to the first floor *shudders*)

And I've dropped it a couple times of my bed, each time taking it like a champ. It still works just fine. I have a screen protector on it, so I don't know if that helped give the glass some extra strength from cracking. (I doubt that.)

----------

Oh and, Apple tends to update the iPod touch every other year. This is the non-update year. Next year we should see an iPod touch with iPhone 5S specs.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
I have in fact dropped my iPod touch, a couple of times. One time I dropped it at the grocery store I work at, I was sitting upstairs cleaning it, out of it's case, and it feel three feet down off the tall table I was sitting on. It was just fine! Not even a scratch :D (If it had fallen a two feet the other way it would have fallen twenty feet down to the first floor *shudders*)

And I've dropped it a couple times of my bed, each time taking it like a champ. It still works just fine. I have a screen protector on it, so I don't know if that helped give the glass some extra strength from cracking. (I doubt that.)

----------

Oh and, Apple tends to update the iPod touch every other year. This is the non-update year. Next year we should see an iPod touch with iPhone 5S specs.

Wow, lucky, mine wasn't that high of a fall but the impact as it fell to the concrete floor was really loud though, so a dent and a chipped part appeared, pisses me off so much.

Ah, I figured that much that the next iPod touch update will come in 2014, I'll need to update as better processor/specs means smoother and better gameplay, my iPod is more of a gaming device than anything else. ; )

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Wow, lucky, mine wasn't that high of a fall but the impact as it fell to the concrete floor was really loud though, so a dent and a chipped part appeared, pisses me off so much.

Ah, I figured that much that the next iPod touch update will come in 2014, I'll need to update as better processor/specs means smoother and better gameplay, my iPod is more of a gaming device than anything else. ; )

Aye x3

Mine actually did hit concrete, I was so surprised it came out okay!

And also, in regards to next gen, I hope they at least put in the M7 chip and Touch ID. As apps and games begin to use the M7 it's really going to show on our device, since that chip isn't thereto be utilized!

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I've dropped it multiple times with some very noticeable scuffs on the corners. It's very slippery.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Aye x3

Mine actually did hit concrete, I was so surprised it came out okay!

And also, in regards to next gen, I hope they at least put in the M7 chip and Touch ID. As apps and games begin to use the M7 it's really going to show on our device, since that chip isn't thereto be utilized!

I'll need to read up on this M7 chip, am not aware of any games that uses Touch ID? Hahaha, and that's why I say you're super lucky it came out just fine even after hitting concrete! Is yours a 5th Gen as well?

I've dropped it multiple times with some very noticeable scuffs on the corners. It's very slippery.

Yep, it's slippery, is yours a 5th Gen as well? I personally blame the thinness of the iPod 5th Gen cause on many occasions I would have a bit of trouble gripping the touch, even when I wanna pick it up off the table I had to carefully lift it and ensure I had a full grip on, it's annoying, hopefully the 6th Gen is a BIT thicker for better grip. I could have bought a case but oh well.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
The whole point of the thinness is to make the case experience better. My iPod Touch 5 feels great in the Griffin Reveal. I could not imagine using it bare. It's just too thin and slippery.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Well, no games would use Touch ID, but it's a great feature IMO.

Also, it's not the greatest case but Griffin makes a thin silicon case that works wonders for on the go getting a grip of iPod.

Don't get their survivor case though. It scratched my home button up, and it runs excessively on the glass above the screen.

I always just use the silicon case when I'm out, and rip it off when I'm at home!

----------

And aye, mine is a 5th gen. I ordered it within the first six hours it was available, the wait for it to ship was longest wait ever lol

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
The whole point of the thinness is to make the case experience better. My iPod Touch 5 feels great in the Griffin Reveal. I could not imagine using it bare. It's just too thin and slippery.

Exactly, it's just too thin. But anyways, I like it bare naked though, it's so sleek and sexy all by itself, I did actually want to get a casing for my touch for I know I'm pretty clumsy with things but I really couldn't find a casing I like offline or online, and the ones I really like I found offline cost over 50+ bucks (I'm not from the US).

Well, no games would use Touch ID, but it's a great feature IMO.

Also, it's not the greatest case but Griffin makes a thin silicon case that works wonders for on the go getting a grip of iPod.

Don't get their survivor case though. It scratched my home button up, and it runs excessively on the glass above the screen.

I always just use the silicon case when I'm out, and rip it off when I'm at home!

----------

And aye, mine is a 5th gen. I ordered it within the first six hours it was available, the wait for it to ship was longest wait ever lol

Maybe I'll go take a look at this Griffin case you guys are talking about. Well, let's hope the 6th Gen next year will be a great surprise.

Which one do you guys recommend?

http://store.griffintechnology.com/5th-gen-ipod-touch?griffin_product_categories=Cases+&+Covers

Last edited:

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Exactly, it's just too thin. But anyways, I like it bare naked though, it's so sleek and sexy all by itself, I did actually want to get a casing for my touch for I know I'm pretty clumsy with things but I really couldn't find a casing I like offline or online, and the ones I really like I found offline cost over 50+ bucks (I'm not from the US).

Maybe I'll go take a look at this Griffin case you guys are talking about. Well, let's hope the 6th Gen next year will be a great surprise.

Which one do you guys recommend?

http://store.griffintechnology.com/5th-gen-ipod-touch?griffin_product_categories=Cases+&+Covers

http://store.griffintechnology.com/5th-gen-ipod-touch/survivor-skin-for-ipod-touch-5th-gen

This is the one I use. Over time it becomes loose -- but it still worked. It doesn't give a ton of protection, but enough to protect against most drops.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I dropped my old ipod touch a few times but it was in a case and didn't get damaged. I pick up my new one tonight.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
http://store.griffintechnology.com/5th-gen-ipod-touch/survivor-skin-for-ipod-touch-5th-gen

This is the one I use. Over time it becomes loose -- but it still worked. It doesn't give a ton of protection, but enough to protect against most drops.

Thanks! I've bookmarked that link and I just found out that some of my local computer store carry this Griffin brand >.< I just have looked harder! Ugh!

I dropped my old ipod touch a few times but it was in a case and didn't get damaged. I pick up my new one tonight.

Wow, old iPod = 4th Gen? Picking up a new one 5th Gen? Lucky! ;)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thanks! I've bookmarked that link and I just found out that some of my local computer store carry this Griffin brand >.< I just have looked harder! Ugh!

Wow, old iPod = 4th Gen? Picking up a new one 5th Gen? Lucky! ;)

No my old ipod was the 5th gen too but I gifted it to my younger cousin as a reward for doing well in his exams last month (as he said he wanted it) but found that I've missed having it so I'm getting another.

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
iPod touch 5th Gen.

Last night was at my parent's place and I was trying to show my dad this Capture app by YouTube since he loves taking videos of families, outing, etc, so while showing him the app and me trying to turn the iPod around into landscape position, the iPod slipped out of my hand and fell onto the bed but then slide down causing quite a bit of impact on the concrete floor.

I didn't noticed anything at first and brushed it off, this morning while using the iPod I noticed the lower-left part of the device has a small bit chipped off and there's a tiny dent in the upper-left corner where the Wi-Fi "black rectangle" is, wow! Should have bought a case, three months after purchase and this happened lol. Has anyone dropped their iDevices before?

Also, can we assume the iPod touch 6th Gen is not coming this year other than receiving a space gray color addition to the current 5th Gen model?

I have a 5th gen as well! Let me tell you, the older 4th gen almost always cracks the screen if it hits the ground on its side without a case! The 5th gen might get scuffs, but the screen fatality rate is much lower :)

I have dropped my 5th gen, but every time it's happend i break its fall with my foot and i also use a case.

I really like my iPod 5, but i plan to get an iPad because i really want a nice large screen for more app real estate! I plan on alternating between the two if i end up getting the next iPad. But I will certainly still use my iPod 5 a lot do to portability :)

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
No my old ipod was the 5th gen too but I gifted it to my younger cousin as a reward for doing well in his exams last month (as he said he wanted it) but found that I've missed having it so I'm getting another.

I see. Your cousin is so fortunate!

I have a 5th gen as well! Let me tell you, the older 4th gen almost always cracks the screen if it hits the ground on its side without a case! The 5th gen might get scuffs, but the screen fatality rate is much lower :)

I have dropped my 5th gen, but every time it's happend i break its fall with my foot and i also use a case.

I really like my iPod 5, but i plan to get an iPad because i really want a nice large screen for more app real estate! I plan on alternating between the two if i end up getting the next iPad. But I will certainly still use my iPod 5 a lot do to portability :)

Good to know the screen for the 5th one is durable, and thank God the drop for my 5th Gen wasn't face down on the screen, it fell on the back but it is still a sickening feeling to be honest.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
iPod touch 5th Gen.

This is why people buy apple care+ or if they buy it at best buy their geek squad protection plans. Non the less still sucks to drop the iPod.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
This is why people buy apple care+ or if they buy it at best buy their geek squad protection plans. Non the less still sucks to drop the iPod.

I've heard of AppleCare+ but it never crossed my mind to get it cause for one I was certain I would take good care of it (who knew a fall would cause the touch to have a chipped edge and a tiny dent?), secondly I've already spent a bomb on the iPod touch; $398 (I'm not from the US if you're wondering) and anything more would have broke my wallet. I should have gotten a case but I was absolutely enjoying the iPod naked, it feels so sleek and nice to the touch.

Now I'm looking for a case and have found it, getting it soon, anymore damage to my iPod would send me over the edge to be honest.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Yep, it's slippery, is yours a 5th Gen as well? I personally blame the thinness of the iPod 5th Gen cause on many occasions I would have a bit of trouble gripping the touch, even when I wanna pick it up off the table I had to carefully lift it and ensure I had a full grip on, it's annoying, hopefully the 6th Gen is a BIT thicker for better grip. I could have bought a case but oh well.

Yeah it is. I think it's partly the thinness, but also the materials. The aluminum slides very easily, so if I pull it out of my pocket quickly it slips away and onto the ground. I never had this issue with my first or third gen touches, which I used without a case.

I wanted a case for my fifth gen. I used a Incase Sliders for my iPhones, but Incase never made a version of it for this particular iPod.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Yeah it is. I think it's partly the thinness, but also the materials. The aluminum slides very easily, so if I pull it out of my pocket quickly it slips away and onto the ground. I never had this issue with my first or third gen touches, which I used without a case.

I wanted a case for my fifth gen. I used a Incase Sliders for my iPhones, but Incase never made a version of it for this particular iPod.

Yes, which is why I hope they make the 6th one a tad thicker a bit and much durable, thin is nice but not when I've read and seen images of the iPod touch 5 all bend and broken (there's a topic here).

I doubt it just the Incase brand it seems like the iPod touch is not really popular in term of casing, they do have it but it's sparse and a few of the forum people here recommend Griffin and they have a store here where I'm from so I'm gonna grab a good one and keep my iPod protected until the 6th Gen arrives next year ;P

bob-briggs

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2013
I dropped mine

i dropped mine 2 times this week, one on tile floor (a 2 feet drop) and one other time on regular wooden floor, i dont see a dent or anything how do i know for sure my device is fine, music is running smoothly, i have a case with a skull on it, i got those small plastic case on it, is my device ok?

Byali

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2017
iPod touch 5th Gen.

I dropped my phone by accident and no visible damage on screen. I was in relief but, the next day, the display had problems. My ipod touch 5th generation was damaged from inside and no display just black screen, glowing. I tapped few times and the menu appeared but as soon as I removed my finger, the menu and everything went black? Any idea or solution? What could have been damaged? Because the screen looks perfectly fine, albeit I have dropped my pod few times before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.