Have you ever been so bored...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by uberamd, Jun 5, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Have you ever been so bored that you decided to stick a paper clip in the CPU fan of a laptop, run a temperature monitor program, and a CPU burn in program to see how hot the thing gets? I reached 205 fahrenheit then it wouldn't go any higher. Lame, I wanted a fire or something sweet.

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Can't say that I have ever been that bored, no..

3. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

4. brax.j macrumors regular

5. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Fine fine. Only got to 203 this time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- I've never been so bored that I intentionally risked destroying the very tools I use to make a living.

7. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Computers are set to automatically shut off once the CPU reaches a certain temperature. A friend of mine forgot to plug his CPU fan in when building a new system a few years back, and the thing automatically shuts off to prevent damage.

And this is on a parts laptop anyway, its getting parted out and tossed when its been consumed (bad keyboard, trackpad, and buttons. Also going on 5.5 years old).

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I guess you shouldn't have expected a fire or something sweet then.

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Yep been that bored.

were so bored today that we lined up 5 MacPro towers while they were running their fans and played confetti derby.
    at least that what we call it.
    paper strips with numbers on them. bet which will make it past line first, drop all behind towers and watch which one crosses line first from being blown by fans.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Word.

Word. Word. Word.

11. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

It's funny that you mentioned the part about putting things into fans.It was only about a month back that my self and Mr.Noisy were sticking pens,paper clips,and anything that would fit thought the grills and we would just play a game just see how long before the pc has a system crash we just do that for the 12 hours were on shift for....in fact wheres my pen ;)

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean been so bored to see how quickly I can burn out my $2,500 machine.

Nah, can't say I've been so bored or immature to want to intentionally break my computer :confused:

13. 156457 macrumors 6502

Why would it make someone immature to experiment with a 5.5 year old laptop which is falling to bits anyway? :confused:

14. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    +1

uberamd's a pretty cool guy, eh puts things in laptop fans and doesn't afraid of anything.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No I've never wanted to destroy a computer. But I don't like breaking stuff to start with, even if it's already falling to bits.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely, as that's pretty much my position, too.

Well, yes, exactly.

Agree completely; it's sort of nihilistic to want to wreck things, even if they are falling apart; try creating something instead. Even a clapped-out computer ought to be of some help, then. Anyway, no, I have never been that bored...I try to do things instead.

Cheers

17. RubberShoes macrumors regular

Hey he's got a point, warranties from places like Best Buy give one a very good reason to overheat a computer when a newer model comes out :)

18. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

Haha no, I have not. When I'm bored, I tend to do come on here or play with makeup :D

19. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Oh my god come on people the machines me and my co-workers mess with are systems that are being recycled anyway. They are being tossed into a box, and we pay by the weight to get rid of the stuff. It is of absolutely no value to any of us here as we already have enough crap systems sitting around "waiting" to be used for something. I don't like breaking stuff either, and the fact remains that we have NEVER actually damaged a system doing this. Not once. So get off your high horses and lighten up.