Have you ever done this much work for a problem so small?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steviem, Jun 15, 2009.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

So someone at work trashed his home Mac's Hard Disk and brought it in to see if we could get it to work.

I opened up my Macbook, pulled out my HD and put his in, and we just got random clicks and no booting happening. His disk was dead. so I pulled it out, then without thinking, I put my disk in upside down, feeling what I thought was the click of the connectors mating.

When I booted back up, all I got was a ? folder, so I opened it up, pulled out the disk, put it back in, same thing happened. then I had an awful thought that the SATA connector inside the MacBook might be broken, so I went over to ifixit and looked at how much new SATA connectors are, '$19, hmm, well if I'm going to have to, I'll have to' I thought. I decided then to follow the guide on replacing the cable. 21 screws later, the top was off and I could see the hard drive taunting me, 'I'm in the wrong way, you idiot!', so I flipped it back round, watched it connect into the SATA connector and put it back together.

5 minutes of reassembly and it was booting properly.

And I wasted an hour because I didn't think to flip the disk over and try putting it in again.

2. geekgirl macrumors regular

In the immortal words of The Daily WTF: "Gloves"

[​IMG]

Yes, I've been there... only it took me 3 hours before I smacked myself in the forehead and applied a 30 second fix...

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Like freaking out when one of you electronics is not working and you've tried everything you can think of only to find out the power strip is turned off or unplugged. :eek: I hate it when that happens. Nothing like basic trouble shooting to make you feel like an idiot. :p

4. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

Tell me about it, the silver lining to it is when I have to replace the keyboard/trackpad, it'll be pretty easy for me. :D

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Pretty much all the time when I'm doing web design. I'm confident and capable with PHP, and don't generally make real mistakes, however when I make a stupid mistake or typo that only manifests 500 lines later it can be hours looking for the spot where I had one semicolon out of place. :mad:

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yep i sure have, and then you feel like a complete idiot after it, and it is always one little tick box that screws everything up.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If it makes you feel any better...

I once spent a day and a half trying to get my broken wireless connection in my old PC working again. I even went to Best Buy (stop it) and bought a new card, and it didn't work, either.

At the end of that day and a half, I remembered that the WPA password is case-sensitive.

*bow*