iPad Have you ever had to actually use AppleCare before

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mattfab, Apr 6, 2013.

1. mattfab macrumors member

Have you ever had to use AppleCare because something happened with your ipad before, and not by accidental damage, but like software malfunctions, or something that wasn't your fault, because I never bought AppleCare and now it's too late, so I just want to know if I need to worry about my ipad 4 ever malfunctioning, even though right now it works fine. I just want a peace of mind, because I do regret not getting applecare

2. 617aircav Suspended

Come on man how can that question be possibly answered. If you don't know, and its your device, how can another person even possibly know if your device will malfunction?

3. ougum macrumors regular

I didn't buy applecare for my IPhone 3G. Two weeks after the warranty expired, the phone stopped working. I've bough applecare for all my i devices ever since then.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPhone? no.

Out-of-warranty replacement is $230... decreases later in life to $150. And may never need to spend it.

Applecare is $100 up front guaranteed, with $50 deductible.

So it's a question of.
    No accident/breakage: $o w/o, $100 with
    accident/breakage: 230/150 w/o, vs $150 with

Basically, your paying $100 up front in order to save $70-$0 later.

Not economical, especially when it doesn't cover theft, or complete loss (dropped in lake).

iPad, and certainly some Macbook it starts to become a little more valuable since the OOW is higher.

----------

You paid $0 for extra warranty. Since you were past the 1 year warranty, the next phone should have already come out. The out of warranty fee should have been $149-ish.

If you HAD Applecare. Paid $99 up front for Applecare. You should have been charged a $49 fee for out of warranty service, and been out$148.

Your lack of buying Applecare up front cost you a whole $1.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I had to use AppleCare a month before my 1-year warranty expired because the headphone jack stopped working on my iPhone 4.

The extension is not worth it on these devices. An Android GoPhone is less than $80 these days (I currently have one to use until iPhone 5S, it has 3G and works nicely on my postpaid account). It might not be your device of choice, but it won't screw you with your data plan and having to go back to a feature phone which I had to do when my iPhone 2G became history.

Getting a computer in the meantime, while your current one has issues, can be a huge mess. And it's there when the $200+ AppleCare really, really, really matters. I was in luck that they were just throwing the Power Macs out at school when my 2006 MBP went crazy. The machine was really great to use until I got my current MBP,