Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Benchmarks don't mean much to me compared to real world use. Why is desktop Gmail so slow on Safari on a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5"? I guess it really doesn't have as much computing power as a regular desktop. If you are wondering why I need desktop Gmail, some options are not available on the app or the mobile version.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Benchmarks don't mean much to me compared to real world use. Why is desktop Gmail so slow on Safari on a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5"? I guess it really doesn't have as much computing power as a regular desktop. If you are wondering why I need desktop Gmail, some options are not available on the app or the mobile version.
What part is slow? It is super fast for me.

Reactions: rui no onna

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010

Sounds like your iPads malfunctioning, I’d take it to the apple store.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Sounds like your iPads malfunctioning, I’d take it to the apple store.

I would consider this as well but only after some basic troubleshooting at home first. One slow application usually doesn’t indicate a hardware problem.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004

Just tried it on a 2018 IPP. No slowdowns or constipation here.

Tom

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Works great for me.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

For the life of me, I don't understand why you are using Gmail via Safari. Get Spark mail app & forget Gmail via the web was a thing.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For the life of me, I don't understand why you are using Gmail via Safari. Get Spark mail app & forget Gmail via the web was a thing.
I had to do that for a while. As a teacher, my ministry runs some enterprise version of gmail which doesn't work with mail apps. Until recently, the only way to access email on our mobile devices was via the browser. A few months ago, we could finally access it via the gmail app (and only that app).

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011

It's for those rare pain in the moment times like suppose I do a search for all email advertisements from Best Buy (in the thousands), in the desktop version you can do a search and apply it to all emails in that criteria (rather than select the 100 or so that are on the first page). It is an easy way to do mass deletions and clean up.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010

Yeah, because gmail in the web browser is so far ahead of its time :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.