Have you ever used AppleCare+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by janeauburn, Jul 29, 2017.

?

Have you ever used AppleCare+?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Have you ever used AppleCare+? If so, what was your experience? Would you buy it again?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

The only time I've ever purchased AppleCare+ was for my girlfriends Apple Watch since she can sometimes be a little clumsy and it was only $50.

For my stuff I simply am careful and keep my phone in a slim case w/ a screen protector on it. No way am I paying $129 for an extended warranty when buying an electronic with my credit card doubles the manufacturers warranty for free.

3. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I always get it on my phones, ever since my iPhone 5 sleep/wake button stopped working 2 months after the one year warranty ended.

4. hajime macrumors 68030

What is the difference between Apple Care and Apple Care +?

If you buy a MBP, you better get Apple Care (+?)

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

6. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

Yes - I believe it was my 5S that had the home button issue. Made an appointment at the Apple store. They looked at it, went to the back, came back with a referb or new 5S and I was good to go. Still have that phone.

Yes, I buy AppleCare for just about anything I buy. When you pack that much technology in to a device, it's going to be prone to failure. The "+" give you accident coverage that wasn't covered before.

7. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Does it really do this? Have you tested this "policy"? My experience with credit card "benefits" is that they're easy to promise but come with enough fine print to make them either hard to get or downright worthless.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes.

1. iPhone 5 replaced in November 2012 for bad mic.
    2. iPhone 5 replaced in mid 2014 shortly before AC+ ended for swelling battery.

No charge each time.

I would buy it again. But back when I bought it the first time it was $99 and not $129.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2017 ---
    The problem with this is that you have to pay first and THEN you're reimbursed. Either as a credit or a check in the mail you have to wait for. You have to submit your documentation and the credit card company can decline if they feel like it.

9. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 68000

Cutiekitty92

Yes and yes, I always purchase AppleCare with my products because the level of service you get is the best around. No quibbles replacements etc never had a problem

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If you pay your phone bill with a Wells Fargo credit card you automatically get accidental damage coverage.
    My son dropped his phone in the toilet and all I had to do was take it to the Apple Store for a diagnostic and a repair quote and then send those into the WF insurance company with a copy of my monthly phone bill and my monthly credit card bill. I had a check in a matter of days.

11. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Not for iPhone, but for my Apple Watch yes. Experience was okay, when I got my watch back, there was a scuff on it, i complained and was able to get a new one.

I'm going to buy AC+ for the next iPhone 8. It's going to cost a fortune as the phone already is super expensive, but piece of mind at least

12. mk313 macrumors 6502

I buy AppleCare in all my devices. I've only had to use it one time to replace an iPhone screen that shattered. I also replace my power cords for free under AppleCare. All in all, I've definitely paid more for the coverage than I've gotten out of it at this point, but it does afford me a certain level of comfort in using my devices, knowing that if anything goes wrong, I am covered.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Never got it for any of my iPhones and lucky, I never needed. I did but on my first Apple Watch but never used it so it was a waste of money. Do not even use the AW so the whole thing was a waste or money.

14. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Yeah my iPhone 6 twice but not fully unintentionally

15. Coffee50 macrumors regular

I buy it.

I upgrade the phone each year, so I get a refund on apple care + (I usually get an apple gift card). Applecare + is 2 years coverage & I only used one, so I get a refund on the second year.

16. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I've done this as well. I don't think enough people realize that you can get a prorated refund on AppleCare+.

17. Lioness~ macrumors regular

Lioness~

Have bought Apple Care on my Macs since AC came. It's bigger costs we're talking about there. Have been worth it.

This far I haven't bought it on my iPhones or iPads.
    Home button stopped working on my 5 but it was after an eventual AC would've covered it anyway. :oops:

When Watch 3 comes I will buy AC to it for sure.

18. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I have used a credit card warranty. It has been several years, so maybe things have changed. It was for a TV, they gave me a list of repair shops I could go to and they covered the bill. It worked out well, but was time consuming. AppleCare is a far better experience overall.

I used to buy AppleCare for everything I had. The problem was I think I only actually used it maybe three or four times. When I start counting the number of Apple products I have bought in the last decade the amount spent on AppleCare is far more than whatever repair/replacement costs I have encountered. I mean I have had somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 iPhones alone. Going forward, I am probably going to skip it for phones since I rarely ever have issues with my phones, and I do not keep them long enough. On computers is where it has paid off, and I would probably keep buying for those since the repair costs on Apple computers are rather steep. iPads, I don't know.

19. pixelatedscraps macrumors regular

pixelatedscraps

My two AppleCare experiences to date:

1)
    In late 2010, I purchased a refurbished 27" iMac and promptly purchased AppleCare for it. I thought it wise to do so. Sometime later (2011 or 2012) there was a product recall for the Seagate HDD and I received a call from Apple notifitying me of this, and that a technician would be visiting my office to replace it on the spot. A week later, it was all over in 10 minutes and I had a new hard drive with its own warranty on it.

2)
    I then purchased a 2014 MacBook Pro 15" along with the extra AppleCare which expires next month. For the last 6 months or so, I've had USB connectivity issues with both USB ports. Occasionally, external hard drives and USB drives, camera tethers disconnect without warning - potentially embarrassing moments in front of clients having swiftly being dealt with either by using a different computer altogether or by a quick brush of the hand.

I took the MacBook to the Apple Store last week, brought a couple of my USB devices to show them. Naturally, they didn't work on the laptop but every single USB device they tested did. My USB devices also didn't work on their MacBooks. It was a **** show of hardware testing basically. The diagnostic read:

'USB ports appear to work but owner states otherwise. Owner's USB devices have issues with tested units.'

Without another word, my Apple 'genius' ticked off the form and said they would replace the logic and I/O board at a cost of US$750 just to make sure - all covered by my last month of AppleCare coverage.

These two experiences have served me well and I'm fully committed to purchasing AppleCare for my hardware. Always. It seems a significant amount for coverage but I value the piece of mind it gives me for that level of service. If I can't stomach the cost at purchase, I'll purchase it within the 12 month period from the date of purchase to spread the cost.

20. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've never used it, but I've always gotten it, because a brand new iPhone is expensive, and it's an insurance policy. Even though it's not exactly cheap, I figure it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

21. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

And now you have a year to purchase AppleCare+.

22. Tibits macrumors regular

I only buy Applecare+ for my phones as they are really my only pieces of hardware that are in imminent danger of a total loss. I will continue to purchase the coverage. I have had my last several phones replaced several times each. A few warranty repairs at no charge and a few damage replacements. I have had my kids smash my phone twice and it was nice to not have to be full price replacement pissed at them.

My best Applecare+ experience was last year in Spain. I was at my hotel in Barcelona and went down for a swim. I had my phone in one pocket and my room key card in the other. I tossed my phone on a chair and dove in. After swimming laps for 30 minutes I got out only to see it was my key card on the chair, the iPhone had taken a nice long swim. I was going to be out of the country for another week, and was meeting an associate for dinner with no way to contact them other than via my phone. When I am abroad, my phone is my lifeline. Fortunately there was an Apple store about 3 blocks from my hotel. I walked in and it was packed, but via my Joint Venture membership I was able to get an appointment with an advisor immediately. I explained that I had to meet someone in about 30 minutes. They had me up and running on a new phone within 20 minutes. The only glitch was that they could see the Applecare+ coverage, but there was some miscommunication with the systems. They just gave me the replacement with no deductible payment, and not taking away one of my replacements under the plan. The phone was activated and functional as I left the store and fully synced from iCloud shortly thereafter. Yeah, I'd definitely buy Applecare+ for my phone every time.

23. mk313 macrumors 6502

How do you get a prorated refund on it? I've upgraded phones within a year before but didn't know I could get some $ back on the Apple care.

24. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Just call Apple and tell them you'd like a prorated refund on your AppleCare+. I've done it two or three times.

25. off_piste macrumors 6502a

And now you know how insurance works...