Have you ever went to an Apple Store for service?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pawn3d, Dec 9, 2008.

?

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE SERVICE AT THE GENIUS BAR? check all that apply:

1. PRICING: I feel the pricing was fair.

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. PRICING: I feel they overcharged me.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. SPEED: The turnaround time was fast.

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  4. SPEED: The turnaround time was slow.

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. OVERALL: I am happy with the service. [img]http://www.inmr.net/icon/happyMac.png[/img]

34 vote(s)
    81.0%
  6. OVERALL: Apple has failed me. [img]http://www.evdoinfo.com/images/stories/sad_mac_icon.jpg[/img]

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. pawn3d macrumors regular

Then I have 3 questions for you:

What did you get serviced?
    How much did it cost?
    And how long did it take?

Also, any other details like did they have to send it off? or did something go wrong?

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Your missing an option. I've never had to pay for service. I've had a 3rd Gen iPod Nano and a unibody Macbook Pro replaced on the spot at my store with no problems.

3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Every time I've been to the genius bar (always for a laptop of one sort or another) they've covered what needs to be fixed under warranty, so I haven't had to pay anything, and if they weren't able to fix it on the spot I was able to pick up my computer within a few days.

So overall very happy. The only problem is at the busier Apple stores you have to be sure to make an appointment well in advance (several days), which I didn't realize the first time I went in.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'll let you know in a few days time.

My MBP is currently with them being fixed, it either needs a new LCD or the cable that connects to the LCD. I took it in on Sunday and they quoted 5-7 days turnaround, so I'm hoping it will be ready for the weekend.

Because it is covered by AppleCare I wont be able to comment on the cost.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

they replaced two 3G white iPhones two different visits (first one had cracking back, second one just died) with no cost, no questions asked and within about 10 minutes each time.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the only bad turn around time was that my case on my PB was warping so i brought it in and it took over 3 weeks to get the part. It would have been longer but i wrote to steve himself and the next day i got a phone call saying the part will be in by the end of the week.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Needed a power supply for an iMac G5. I didn't know that when I brought it in. Was 3 months out of AppleCare's 3 years. Charged me only $65 (no labor). Brought it in at 5pm and was out with it the next day at 3pm.

8. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i've been to one twice. first time was when i had a kernel panic about six months after i got chipper (macbook) and it took all night to figure out why it happened, thinking it was ram issues. so first thing in the morning, we went to the local apple store and found out that an app that went crazy was the source of the problem (it was some ipod conversion app, and i put in some bad files). we booted it on an external hard drive and got the bad files out and it was fast, about 30 minutes (because it was 11 am on a tuesday) and free of charge. i bought an external hard drive at a best buy the same day and not a kernel panic since then.

second time, it was alot slower because it was a saturday, and i was only confirming a problem with the battery which i suspected for some time beforehand and was seeing if i could have gotten one for free if the battery started acting crazy before the warranty went out (it didn't work), and i'll need to buy a new battery before it goes completely crazy.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

So far I only have taken a few iPods and my iPhone in for service. Those were easy and were simply replaced. I have to bring my MBP in to get the power button and the track pad fixed. This will be my first real test of the genius bar.

Hu, I have been using Macs for over 15 years and this is the first time I had a problem that I felt needed to get taken careof by Apple, well on the computer side at least.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

once and was left very impressed. best customer service experience i have ever had

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've taken my PowerBook in there a few times, and my iPhone once, and have been pleased. Never had to pay for anything since it's all been under warranty. Sometimes the wait at the genius bar can be annoying, and if they're really busy, any appointments you make online don't mean much.

12. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I live In Lima, Peru and here the apple customer service is great it only takes a couple of weeks, but its free its one of the best ones.

13. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I am little confused here. :confused: It was under warranty and they wouldn't swap the battery? Isn't the battery covered? It was one of the reasons I bought AppleCare for my MacBook. :(

Hugh

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I am extremly happy with the Genius Bar.
    I went in because my 2G iPod touch's screen was shattered.
    They replaced it for free!!

15. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

These 3 were taken care of with 15 minutes of walking into the store:

New battery x 2
    New Magsafe Charger
    BT Mighty Mouse x 2

This one is still needed and will take 3-5 days:
    New Logic Board (bad video card - 2.16 CD 17")

16. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

my macbook is two years old now, and i didn't buy applecare. the battery problems started earlier this year, after the warranty expired. the first problem occurred about six months after getting my macbook (may 2007) and the battery issue was a couple of months ago.

17. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Oh, I see the problem then, that sucks. :( Did they charge full price for it?

Hugh

18. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I have used the Genius Bar and they have been great. The price was free because I have Apple Care. The speed was faster then they quoted by two days. So overall it was great experience.

19. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I've only used them for service once, and was quite unimpressed. They had to order a part for my PowerBook, and it took over a week. Completely unacceptable, especially when shipping it to them for service generally has a turnaround time of less than 72 hours.

Now I'm dealing with dead pixel issues on my unibody MBP, and they make you take it to an Apple Store for evaluation. I just can't be without a computer for that long (ordered it CTO, so they can't do an in-store swap). Again, completely unacceptable.

20. yoppie macrumors 6502a

1. MacBook top case was replaced because of cracks.
    2. $0. It was covered under AppleCare.
    3. An overnight stay.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

1. MB Top case was cracked
    2. $0 - AppleCare covered
    3. Under 5 hours. Same day.

They also replaced the keyboard. I am very happy with the service so far.

22. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Had to have superdrive replaced in 2 notebooks.

Both were under Applecare, so it was free.

Both had to be sent out and took about 10 days, was told 14 days.

23. pawn3d thread starter macrumors regular

24. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

swapped out my 3G for a new one in a matter of minutes... i was happy

25. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I think I've had uniquely stellar success with Apple. It will drive me to stay an Apple customer AND buy Apple Care on this new unibody, my first Apple Care purchase since my first Mac in 2000.

While I'd rather not divulge the details surrounding the service, I can say that honesty, logic, and calmness can get you a long, long way with people who deal with irate customers all day long. I e-mailed store managers on several occasions to thank them for the work as well.

Plus, what other service option is available before store opening hours? I had a genius appointment at 0730!