Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I was recently sent an email for a job offer by a firm who heard about me through a reference. Of course, I work on my own now and am not interested in working for anyone.

That being said, it got me thinking about it, and if I can earn some extra money it would help me accomplish a goal of mine-

I'm looking to lease a house in LA, and if I made some extra money it would help me up-size to some bigger houses

I was wondering if anyone has ever worked 2 jobs and what was the experience like?

Is it manageable?

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Never done two full time gigs, but I have put in 80+ hours for short periods of time. And that's the key. I knew it was temporary, there was a goal, and things would go back to normal when the goal was met.

What are you going to have to give up to make this happen? If you can do this on your terms, have a defined goal (money, date, until a job is done), and an exit strategy, go for it. If this is going to be the new normal, I would have second thoughts.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Never done two full time gigs, but I have put in 80+ hours for short periods of time. And that's the key. I knew it was temporary, there was a goal, and things would go back to normal when the goal was met.

What are you going to have to give up to make this happen? If you can do this on your terms, have a defined goal (money, date, until a job is done), and an exit strategy, go for it. If this is going to be the new normal, I would have second thoughts.

it would be new normal. I would have to do my current job at night and the my new job during the day.

I can be flexible with my current job bc I do it on my own but my fear is whether or not I would be able to do as good a job given I’ll be working hard at my new one.

I would like to have 2 jobs to be honest bc I could be able to afford more and if I live in LA I could definitely use the extra money

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Whatever the op‘s schtick is it’s somewhat amusing and entertaining. It’s not like inciting a riot or a rout in the PRSI forum.

I kind of a treat it like group storytelling, not unlike a Creepypasta, or even like an improv exercise: "I need a profession?", "Banker on Wall Street!", "OK, great, now I'm looking for a scenario?", "He wants to work two jobs so he can afford a $3M home in the Hollywood hills!", "Hahahaha, OK, fantastic, now what else is happening in the world?", "Oh, I know, there's a zombie outbreak!"

Er, I guess that last hits a little too close to home o_O

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I kind of a treat it like group storytelling, not unlike a Creepypasta, or even like an improv exercise: "I need a profession?", "Banker on Wall Street!", "OK, great, now I'm looking for a scenario?", "He wants to work two jobs so he can afford a $3M home in the Hollywood hills!", "Hahahaha, OK, fantastic, now what else is happening in the world?", "Oh, I know, there's a zombie outbreak!"

The op needs to work on his plot holes a little more.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

?

Oh! Like FanFiction.com?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I've been working 2 jobs for the past year. Pretty much 7 days a week the entire time. I'm the only pastor of a small rural church and I deliver packages for Amazon.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I think that the title should specify two paid jobs.

Most people work two jobs.

Work and raising a family.

Stuck a like on that post because it's so true.... but was also thinking about people who work full time (and a half, maybe) plus temporarily also go to school at night thinking to qualify for a graduate program or a career switch or just work needed to qualify for a promotion.

Have to say that all that would clearly fall in category of "worth it temporarily for a specific goal" but it's still a life-costly endeavor and deserves more than a few days pondering over before embarking on the journey. Thanks to the hectic pace, assuming one likes what one is overextending mind and body to accomplish, the cost of it can definitely tend to go unnoticed at the time.

It's good to ask the question up front: what am I going to be missing out on and what is this going to do to my mental and physical health?

There are aspects of popular culture I never did catch up with when I was skipping supper and racing from a Wall Street job up to a CCNY uptown classroom four nights a week for a couple years back in the 70s for some extra math and science courses. At some family gathering I'd made room for on the "command performance" calendar, someone would invariably drop a name in the after-dinner coffee time hanging out in the living room, and I could end up briefly wondering if the name belonged to a politician, an entertainer or somebody who had eloped with one of my kin and the news was still on my voicemail at home...

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well, maybe MediocreFanFiction.com

:D

I mean, __good__ fan fiction would involve doing some research to be slightly converstant in the subject matter of the main character, and maybe a little support imagery , you know, just some stock photos of the place the main character lives, etc.

Too many people must have read blogs or bought books about how to write flash fiction and how to write fanfiction and so forth during the coronavirus lockdowns.

I remember now a time after Macintosh computers had been around for about a year, (and I had acquired one) and one of my brothers was taking graduate work in creative writing.

He popped into my place for a coffee one night when I was having fun shoving files around in file folders with "real names" as opposed to DOS-garble acronyms... and there was one on my desktop called "Short Fiction." As it happens, that just had documents in it with the issue dates and titles of pieces in various popular and literary magazines. I'd decided to computerize my notes about them so I could actually find the pieces again on a weekend when I had time to re-read stories I had liked.

Well the writing-savvy bro was intrigued, less by the tech advancements in GUI or directory identifications than by the idea of stashing retrievable notes about writing in general (maybe his own), even if it would also be nice that they could be, as of the time of Macintosh, end up stashed with better directory and file descriptors than say NOVL1985.

So we started talking about breaking writing tasks down into categories and then about synthesizing fiction from some kernel, and then looping back to analyzing types of fiction, and then I said "oh like this..." and from a totebag at hand I hauled out a copy of Harper's or some such, meaning to point out a couple ways the short fiction in there could be categorized.

But meanwhile the bro spotted one of my airport terminal purchases in that same totebag, some Danielle Steele thing, and he took it out and said "No, like this."

And suddenly --well not suddenly, since by then it was like 3am-- my Mac desktop, having gained a folder called "Steele Analysis" was sprouting nested file folders with names like "Characters" and "Sub plots". By then the bro was ripping pages out of the hapless Steele paperback and saying "So maybe put this in "Flashbacks"... and eventually asking "You have any more of these upstairs? We could see if there's a static pattern or she mixes it up sometimes".

So my homebrew cataloguing system of short fiction I just wanted to be able to remember that I wanted to re-read was in the wind somewhere on my Mac's desktop. And there we were practically writing a fanfic novel. Yeah! Three o'clock in the morning!

And yes, by then we had a prototype "Best Seller" in its own file folder on my Macintosh, with sub folders for characters and plots and everything... even chapter epigraphs in case we went all highbrow on the thing.

Somewhere around there I called a halt before my bro decided to lay hands on some trade paperbacks upstairs for whose fate I had more concern. He was starting to talk about how we should maybe analyze a better grade of fiction and pitch to the upscale markets, which is where the epigraphs idea had come from.

At that point I was like "how much more upscale can a writer get than dressing her kids in Victorian outfits?" the way Steele did back then... but he was talking about the readership, and I was starting to fade because even then I drank less coffee late at night than he did.

In that single night's events, both the bro and I came to realize there's more to writing fiction (or, fanfiction) than just figuring it should be pretty simple to crank out a more or less orginal best seller if you put your mind to it and have a clue how other people have done it.

Long story short, Ms Steele may have mastered the art of her particular subgenre long before one of her works got dissected that night at my kitchen table, but some of the stuff on, as you tagged it, "MediocreFanFiction.com" usually has quite a long way to go.

Certainly the case for our demo that night. All that remains of it for me is fond remembrance of my early experiences in using GUI for directory management of files on a personal computer. Practice can help make perfect, but the kitchen table should be the end of the road for some of the homework in the meantime.

The problem now is that computers sitting on a kitchen table are usually hooked up to the internet. And yeah, before @Gutwrench chimes in about Ambience, I'm pulling the plug on mine here, but not without noting that this thread revives a wonderment on my part about how many people all over the world have a 2nd (or, 3rd) job called "writing a novel" or "writing poetry".

Writers like Wallace Stevens come to mind... working all those years as an executive at The Hartford insurance companies as his day job, and meanwhile investing energies in what might have been sleep or partygoing in what eventually became his collected poems.

He'd probably be first among writers to caution against thinking that such a "second job" can be easy or simple. Even if the knack of writing comes easily, getting it right takes more time and maybe more mentoring and editing than the eye-blink's time it takes to send it out to the world. Proof of that does seem to lie in some of the work on FanFiction.com if anyone spends some time looking around on that site. Even the imitative fanfiction genre is hard to bring off well and that's intentionally secondhand to begin with.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
how many people all over the world have a 2nd (or, 3rd) job called "writing a novel" or "writing poetry".

Not quite the same, but one of my semi-work-endorsed projects over the past month or so has been writing a textbook.

A couple of things kind of came together to prompt it. One thing is that there's no one good, concise source of information on GC-MS, and another was that my work needed more of a how-to guide.

I decided to approach it both from a theory perspective but put more of a real-world and application centered approach than most any other text does.

I don't have any fantasies whatsoever of ever publishing it(if I did, I'd probably have about 100 buyers at this level of detail), but plan to circulate it to co-workers and other colleagues around both for feedback/revisions and for them to hopefully use as a convenient reference.

Like a lot of folks with fiction or poetry, however, this has been oddly relaxing to me and also is a work-relevant project I can work on when I really don't have a lot of other work to do.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Speaking of writing, one of the ways the newspapers back during The Great Depression tried to keep some circulation figures going (or at least a few ad salesmen employed) was to publicize their serializations of assorted works of fiction.

Well the ever-vigilant Nieman Labs media analysts report today that apparently the Boston Globe has done a little homework along those lines. Over the weekend, the Globe just launched.... yep, the serialization of a novella... one written by Ben Mezrich, who more often has written nonfiction about gambling, and about social media.

The Globe's log line for "The Mechanic" as reported by the NL does sound better to me than half the front page news I've laid eyes on recently. Who still under lockdown wouldn't trade in another online update on the coronavirus for a mashup of some pretty good B movie scripts, included with one's morning newspaper?!

"An enigmatic card shark.
An ex-con looking for the score of a lifetime.
A priceless haul of stolen art.
A professor who uncovers a secret that could change the world.
And a mystery as old as the country itself…
A mystery that someone’s willing to kill for."
I have liked reading the Boston Globe for its Spotlight investigations. Absent appearance of another one of those on its front pages, this seems like plenty reason to re-up. I'm in!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.