Have you experienced rMBP screen/display coating wearing away?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Mar 14, 2015.

?

So which is it?

1. No, had the machine under a year no issues

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. No, had the machine around a year no issues

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. No, had the machine 2 years+ no issues

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  4. Yes, had the machine under a year and its wearing!

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. Yes, had the machine around a year and its wearing!

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Yes, had the machine around 2+ years and its wearing!

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

2. KUguardgrl13, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

No issues with my launch day late-2013 13" rMBP.

3. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I'm as paranoid as you. Wondering if it's mainly the mid 2013 models. Mine is a mid 2014 but the build is February 2015. I got it under a month ago. I may have went with the non retina 'classic' had I read these reports.

Maybe Apple was made aware and ramped up the QC for this issue mid 2014 on. Remembering even the latest mid 2015 is retina and could have this issue. My screen is AO20 not sure if this makes a difference but I would like to know.

4. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Mines a020 as well. I don't think this necessarily correlates with panel used but maybe it does for the coating? Dunno

5. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

As i read more i'm worrying less. Seems to be reported in low numbers. Take into consideration the 2011 graphics card issue, 12,662 replies on the apple forum vs 300 for this issue. That will be repeat posts but even if it was 300 affected laptops thats not enough to call it a widespread issue.

This poll and the others have had little response, also you and i should bank on the 2015 build. Maybe some slipped in 2013 and apple saw the issue and fixed it.

Do what i saw suggested on one of these threads, call apple, make them aware your concerned then if it does happen they have it on record you called. It would maybe help in getting it replaced.

My screen cleaning technique is microfibre cloth only. #

6. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

these initial poll results coming in are looking somewhat promising too so far

7. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Think it does indicate the panel--that's how people differentiated between LG and Samsung. Not sure if the coating is directly on the panel or on an Apple-provided plastic cover though.

8. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

I've seen it on a few of our users machine, typically around the camera. Not sure if they are wiping the screen clean with something, or putting tape over the camera and the coating comes off when they pull the tape off.

9. appleminion macrumors member

can someone who has a retina mbp 2015, let me know if this screen issue is occuring?

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I've had my mid-2014 15" rMBP for about 8 months and no issues yet.

Still, I use it in clamshell mode most of the time and I'm worried about it.

11. cruzmisl macrumors regular

For those that have had this issue, does it really only show up with the screen off?

12. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

Mid-2014 15" rMBP as per my sig. There is no 2015 update for the 15" yet.

I use a non-abrasive Auto glass\film cleaning liquid (Meguiars) and large third-party micro-fibre glass cloth, which doesn't allow much pressure through to the screen. No issues at all so far.

I feel the Mf cloth supplied by Apple is so small that it doesn't cushion the effects of finger\nail pressure some people may be applying to the screen through it! I certainly won't use it ...but that's just me.

13. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

No issues here with a late 2012 refurb I bought in 2013. I only wipe the screen down maybe once a month or so, I'm thinking that could be a factor here...people who clean it more often may end up wearing the coating down faster.

14. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Cool good to know :cool:

15. newellj macrumors 601

I don't remember whether I've posted my own data here.

• rMBP 13" purchased early May 2014
    • Cleaned 1-2x/month with a clean microfiber cloth and idler
    • No stains, scratches or blemishes (knock on wood)
    • Probably going to go ahead and buy Apple Care to extend the warranty next month

16. CindysD macrumors newbie

Fortunately, I haven't bought mine yet.
    But now I do sort of want to wait and see how Apple handles all this. Because if they don't help cover the replacement and expect people to pay another $800. I will not be buying one for sure.
    Kinda sad when you pay so much for a laptop with reasonably okay specs and then the company gives you a products that is defective in a sense.

17. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I just ordered a new 2015 13" rMBP. My late 2013 rMBP had the screen issues appear out of no where in August of 2014. They were small marks that looked like oily smudges that I could not remove. This in no way looked like a cleaning issue. It was more like a layer delamination issue. Apple replaced the entire top under warranty. I honestly believe my occasional use in home office with my wall mount monitor in clamshell mode (use was hours of work and / or also watching movies with the cover closed) The computer tended to get very hot.