Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I was working on a vacation plan with 20 to 30 tabs open in safari quite often recently, during which I discovered safari really struggled with such amount of contents. My macbook pro is 2010 with 8G ram and 512G SSD. The ram usage of Safari was about 1.5 to 1.8G, which should be fine considering I only had iTunes and a few other insignificant apps running. So I am wondering if there is a restriction to the available resource located to Safari. I transferred half of tabs (about 10+) to Chrome and had both browsers running parallel. My system and both browsers worked just fine.

saldin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
I have the same problem. I usually have several windows with ~40 tabs each and Safari slows to a crawl. Oddly, no slowdown when I did the same thing in Snow Leopard, and to a lesser extent, Lion.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Everybody says safari snappier in maverick. Let's wait and see. But I guess I won't roll back my system just because of safari. I use chrome as default now and rarely have an issue with opening many tabs at same time. However I do think browsing experience is more refined with safari when it is not laggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.