Have you FaceTimed yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markel253, Jul 10, 2010.

1. markel253 macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 4 on launch day, and my daughter got hers yesterday. Today we had a chance to try FaceTime. I am in NYC and she is in Florida so it is something we will use often I am sure.

I must say that it worked fine right away - clear picture and audio ... very easy indeed. Used both cameras and flipped back and forth with ease. There is a short lag between the time I touched the screen to change from one camera to the other, but once I realized and expected it, I stopped doing the "screen merry-go-round. LOL!

Who else had had any experience with FaceTime? Where were the participants in relation to each other? What was your reaction to it?

2. Set845 macrumors regular

I also use FaceTime with my daughter and the grandchildren. She lives in Rhode Island I in Massachusetts. We love everything about it. The experience is very Apple. It's easy, fun, useful, and the call quality is outstanding as long as you are close enough to a wireless router. We've always talked on the phone a few times daily but now our conversations tend to last much longer. The kids love it. She was at a party on the beach in the 4th and showed me the fireworks. Her friends and in laws were amazed, all gathering around her to see it (me), which can be kind of annoying. I really think, even after the novelty wears off, that it's here to stay. It's just way too useful to be just a flash in the pan.

3. markel253 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree that for those like us (parents/grandparents) this is definitely something that will not just fade away after being a flash in the pan.

Today I am taking my son out for his anniversary, and my daughter wants me to FaceTime her so she can see her nephews (his sons) since she lives so far and only gets to see them once or twice a year.

4. miamihacker macrumors regular

You know is funny cause my mom is in nyc right now and i live in florida and we communicate by facetime too lol

5. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I have facetime'd a few times with a friend in a neighboring city and it has worked very well.

One time I was outside, a little ways from the router and it still was pretty good. Overall I give it a 95/100.

Blonde Buddhist

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I have used FaceTime alot. My nephews had been staying with us for a month and when my brother and I both got our iPhone 4s we facetimed everyday so he can see his kids. Now that they've gone back home my mom talks to them everyday now with FaceTime.

7. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

bin using the ichatr app? thats fun to face chat with randomers lol

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I wish i had an iPhone 4... Not specifically for FaceTime, but its a nice addition.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

FaceTime has been awesome, as long as we're on WiFi. Picked up the FREE Fring app (also a Fring app for the Deaf Community/HH) at the app store and now it works on 3G. A few bugs in the beginning with Fring, but it's worth it in the long run to Fring on 3G. Very similar to FaceTime, but the picture and sound quality aren't quite FaceTime quality...

10. Hdunlopclark macrumors member

I have a question about facetime that I have not seen answered anywhere. Does facetime use up mins on your mobile package? If so, if you are abroad, would you get charged more?

Thanks

11. StephenAndrew macrumors member

*Sigh* I wish I knew more than one person with an IP4. He's not someone I'd talk to on the regular phone with much, let alone facetime. I did use the 1-888-facetime thing though when I first got it, worked pretty well.

12. calcalmx123 macrumors newbie

I don't know anyone else who has an iPhone so I cant :(

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

FaceTime doesn't count towards your Carrier minutes, but it does count towards your bandwidth limits. Eg. 250MB, 3GB or Unlimited....:cool:

14. techguy40 macrumors regular

facetime only works on wifi only.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

FaceTime doens't use cell towers for data. It runs only over WiFi. Apple is wanting to change this to 3G someday, but for now FaceTime is WiFi only.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm using Fring app and it's similar to FaceTime, but on 3G. Initially, used Skype with Fring, but they are currently making changes to make the connection better...:cool:

17. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

18. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

My boyfriend is in Tennessee and I'm in florida, so it's great for us. It's a nice way to say goodnight.

19. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've used FaceTime quite a few times with my daughter (who lives about 500 miles away) and my nieces (who live locally) and it has been fantastic! IMO, when FT goes 3G and can call computers (with the FaceTime app or Skype not just Fring as Fring is pretty horrid) it will REALLY take off...:)

20. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to get one so we can do that too :)

21. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

She should! It's awesome, and so much easier to do than video iChat. You just click it on and connect. I love it.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, Skype with Fring was like mixing oil and water. Hopefully, they can get the bugs out quickly...:eek:

23. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

good Night Baby:D

24. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member