Have you gifted or been gifted AW despite no interest?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kylera, Oct 29, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Have you gifted an Apple Watch to someone who initially had no interest in the Apple Watch, and the recipient is now an active user? Or the other way around - are you someone who was initially uninterested in the Apple Watch and now you are actively using it?

I am considering one as a future gift to my fiancée, and she has expressed how she doesn't see the point of one.

Having said that, I unwittingly influenced her to get an iPad after she saw how I use mine.

2. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I don't see the point of a 500 dollar smart watch either, but I do want a 0 dollar smart watch.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Very true. I'm getting AW because I want to be on top of notifications for freelance work, so for me personally, the price is well worth it. If someone were to get one for free, then there would be a difference.

4. tromboneaholic macrumors 6502a

tromboneaholic

FY: It starts at slightly over half that price.

5. Bigads macrumors regular

Bigads

I bought my wife a Series 1 38mm gold sport version for her birthday.
    She had shown no interest in my watch at all having owned it since original launch day, however she now loves hers and very rarely doesn't wear it.
    With Apple's return policy I felt it was worth seeing if she wanted it.

6. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Depends on model and country I guess, you can get the for less actually.

7. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Can I ask what she does with her watch? Notifications mostly?

Yeah, in Korea, a Series 1 38mm aluminum costs $300 with mandatory 10% sales tax.

8. Bigads macrumors regular

Bigads

Notifications, fitness tracking and controlling music on her phone.
    We are both teachers so it's not always appropriate to check a phone so notifications are handy on the wrist. My wife teaches PE so often has music on for students when working indoors so she can hide her phone in the tech cabinet and control from her watch.
    We both run and she now enjoys tracking that on her own watch as opposed to constantly asking me distance and pace.

9. sm2teach macrumors newbie

I teach PE as well. I just got my first Apple Watch (Nike+) on Friday. This is exactly how I plan to use my watch. Controlling music will be huge. Up until now I had to cross the gym to turn off my music and often missed announcements. It'll also help keep me on schedule with my classes. I plan on using the fitness tracking as well. And finally, it'll help me keep up with my personal kids' schedules. Thanks to complications I can quickly pull up my calendar without getting out the phone.

10. julesme macrumors regular

The Series 2 would be an amazing Christmas gift but unfortunately I had to pay for mine. :)

11. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

We weren't interested in the first one at all but had to have S2. Wife loves hers for use during work to check or send a quick msg where it's not a good idea to have a phone out. We use them daily to track our exercise also. As for me, the exercise tracking is my most used part of the Watch.