Have you gone three days without your cell phone?

HarryPot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I currently have my iPhone in service (battery replacement program), and I'll be three days without it. Already in the second day!:)

To be honest, I thought it would be more difficult. The only thing I'm missing, and may I say, missing dearly, is Whatsapp/Messages. But aside from that, I'm quickly getting used to how things were before cell phones. Less distractions and more time doing things that need to be done.

Above all, I notice I give more attention to the people in front of me. I hate it when you are talking to someone and they keep getting their phone out. But now that I can't even get my iPhone out to check the time, I've noticed that I was kind of doing the same thing to others by checking the time, quickly seeing new messages, etc.

I know that some people do need their cell phones to keep up with work. But, for most of us, I think cell phones (smart phones more specifically) are not that important, and might even be affecting us in the way we communicate with the persons in front of us.

So, do you think we've become addicted/slaves to our smartphones?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yes, I regularly spend time walking around the wilderness without my phone on.

And yes, I think most people have becoming increasingly dependent on their smartphones.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I switch my phone off (rather than simply put it on 'silent') at meetings, and, make a point of not bringing it at all to plays, museums, restaurants, concerts, or the pub.

Therefore, if someone wishes to contact me, they can phone, leave a message, and I will return the call when it is convenient to do so, which is done on the understanding that other commitments may take priority.

Wen I first got a mobile phone, a little over a decade and a half ago, I made the decision that i was going to be in charge of this device, not it in charge of me.

Yes, I have gone three days without a cell phone, most recently in London and Bristol on holidays. During the normal work week, hours (not days, for obvious reasons) go by without my phone serving as a distraction - I will return calls when meetings end, not before.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I go weeks at a time without my cell phone. I live in a small rural community with really bad coverage, and work from home. At home my front yard has coverage but not my back yard. But I don't bother turning it on at home... I have a landline there.

The rest of the island is hit or miss as to coverage. One village doesn't have coverage at all. Which is a shame because it's the one place on the island where I've wanted to use the phone. So... I don't bother carrying the phone at all most days.

When I head into the city I try to remember to carry it so I can check for message on my landline at home. I hardly ever text. People know not to text me since I may not get it for a month or two. My friends in the city think I'm 'quaint' - but I note that they all yearn for the lifestyle I've got.

SDDave2007

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
without a Iphone

I have gone years without an iPhone (or cell phone of anykind). Never owned one, never needed one.....will never have one (all the more for the rest of you)

HarryPot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
I kind of expected different answers from a site like MacRumors.:cool: Nice to see many people get themselves free time from their cellphones.

I've found something interesting this three days without my iPhone: somehow I don't need an alarm clock to wake in time on the morning.

I apparently won't have my iPhone until tomorrow. So two more days to go!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I kind of expected different answers from a site like MacRumors.:cool: Nice to see many people get themselves free time from their cellphones.

I've found something interesting this three days without my iPhone: somehow I don't need an alarm clock to wake in time on the morning.

I apparently won't have my iPhone until tomorrow. So two more days to go!
Odd that they made you wait so long. They changed mine in 40 min.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I've gone almost a year without a phone - back when my financial situation wasn't as padded and lovely as it is now. I have one now, but like two or three years ago this was.

I used it very not often anyway so it wasn't a major loss.

Having major computer problems now, and it's the machine I use for work, so we'll see how I can last without that. Reeeaaally don't want to drive the 1.5 hours to the Apple Store. Phone support doesn't work anymore... :(

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
I went almost a week in April. Went on a cruise, left on Sat. afternoon, returned on Thurs. AM so in total it was 4 full days. I had it with me but only as an alarm, it was otherwise useless (and I had a REAL camera to take pictures).

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I have no need or desire to be off the grid. I'm happy with where my life is in terms of technology.

HarryPot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Odd that they made you wait so long. They changed mine in 40 min.
At first they told me it would be only one day, tops a day and a half.

Then one more day.... but they just called me to say that they are out of new batteries until the next week. So I went and picked up my iPhone to bring it back just now.... feeling happier now:):eek:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I hate it when you are out and people spend more time on their phone than talking with you etc. I think it's pretty rude. Needless to say I just don't choose to go out with these people anymore.
Just because your phone buzzes doesn't mean you need to look at it and start reading status updates.
Go three days without my iPhone? No chance. But doesn't mean I'm a slave to it!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't think I've switched my phone off since I bought it XD
I do use silent mode a lot though for work and meetings.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No, I don't think I've gone a day without my cell phone, going all the way back to 2001 when I purchased my first one.

Its not that I'm addicted to it, which I'm not, its just that its always around and has never broken where I needed to send it out for service.

Sometimes, when I'm on vacation time, I'll turn it off or in airplane mode for a day or two, but that is about it.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Does 3 days in a foreign country without data roaming count? :p

Could only use apps without data unless I was on WiFi. The horror. Absolute horror.