Have you gone three days without your cell phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HarryPot, Sep 10, 2014.

1. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I currently have my iPhone in service (battery replacement program), and I'll be three days without it. Already in the second day!:)

To be honest, I thought it would be more difficult. The only thing I'm missing, and may I say, missing dearly, is Whatsapp/Messages. But aside from that, I'm quickly getting used to how things were before cell phones. Less distractions and more time doing things that need to be done.

Above all, I notice I give more attention to the people in front of me. I hate it when you are talking to someone and they keep getting their phone out. But now that I can't even get my iPhone out to check the time, I've noticed that I was kind of doing the same thing to others by checking the time, quickly seeing new messages, etc.

I know that some people do need their cell phones to keep up with work. But, for most of us, I think cell phones (smart phones more specifically) are not that important, and might even be affecting us in the way we communicate with the persons in front of us.

So, do you think we've become addicted/slaves to our smartphones?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, I regularly spend time walking around the wilderness without my phone on.

And yes, I think most people have becoming increasingly dependent on their smartphones.

3. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I went three months without my phone. Tbh after the first week I didn't miss it.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Went a year without my cell phone in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Sucked.

5. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Nope iPhone goes everywhere i go, with the exception of the bathroom / toilet.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yep I'll go that long or longer from time to time. It's a nice break from the distractions.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I switch my phone off (rather than simply put it on 'silent') at meetings, and, make a point of not bringing it at all to plays, museums, restaurants, concerts, or the pub.

Therefore, if someone wishes to contact me, they can phone, leave a message, and I will return the call when it is convenient to do so, which is done on the understanding that other commitments may take priority.

Wen I first got a mobile phone, a little over a decade and a half ago, I made the decision that i was going to be in charge of this device, not it in charge of me.

Yes, I have gone three days without a cell phone, most recently in London and Bristol on holidays. During the normal work week, hours (not days, for obvious reasons) go by without my phone serving as a distraction - I will return calls when meetings end, not before.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

I go weeks at a time without my cell phone. I live in a small rural community with really bad coverage, and work from home. At home my front yard has coverage but not my back yard. But I don't bother turning it on at home... I have a landline there.

The rest of the island is hit or miss as to coverage. One village doesn't have coverage at all. Which is a shame because it's the one place on the island where I've wanted to use the phone. So... I don't bother carrying the phone at all most days.

When I head into the city I try to remember to carry it so I can check for message on my landline at home. I hardly ever text. People know not to text me since I may not get it for a month or two. My friends in the city think I'm 'quaint' - but I note that they all yearn for the lifestyle I've got.

9. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

without a Iphone

I have gone years without an iPhone (or cell phone of anykind). Never owned one, never needed one.....will never have one (all the more for the rest of you)

10. HarryPot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I kind of expected different answers from a site like MacRumors.:cool: Nice to see many people get themselves free time from their cellphones.

I've found something interesting this three days without my iPhone: somehow I don't need an alarm clock to wake in time on the morning.

I apparently won't have my iPhone until tomorrow. So two more days to go!

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Odd that they made you wait so long. They changed mine in 40 min.

12. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

When I go on vacation or camping trips I generally turn the phone off.

Spent a week in panama at the beginning of the year. I took the phone for camera purposes but other than that it was a brick.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i have not, i think my girlfriend would kill me if i decided to turn off my phone!

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I've gone almost a year without a phone - back when my financial situation wasn't as padded and lovely as it is now. I have one now, but like two or three years ago this was.

I used it very not often anyway so it wasn't a major loss.

Having major computer problems now, and it's the machine I use for work, so we'll see how I can last without that. Reeeaaally don't want to drive the 1.5 hours to the Apple Store. Phone support doesn't work anymore... :(

15. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I went almost a week in April. Went on a cruise, left on Sat. afternoon, returned on Thurs. AM so in total it was 4 full days. I had it with me but only as an alarm, it was otherwise useless (and I had a REAL camera to take pictures).

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no need or desire to be off the grid. I'm happy with where my life is in terms of technology.

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I went 5 days when my mom found out I was making prank calls.

18. HarryPot thread starter macrumors 6502a

At first they told me it would be only one day, tops a day and a half.

Then one more day.... but they just called me to say that they are out of new batteries until the next week. So I went and picked up my iPhone to bring it back just now.... feeling happier now:):eek:

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I hate it when you are out and people spend more time on their phone than talking with you etc. I think it's pretty rude. Needless to say I just don't choose to go out with these people anymore.
    Just because your phone buzzes doesn't mean you need to look at it and start reading status updates.
    Go three days without my iPhone? No chance. But doesn't mean I'm a slave to it!

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't think I've switched my phone off since I bought it XD
    I do use silent mode a lot though for work and meetings.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That really wasn't by your own choice from the sounds of it :)

22. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, I don't think I've gone a day without my cell phone, going all the way back to 2001 when I purchased my first one.

Its not that I'm addicted to it, which I'm not, its just that its always around and has never broken where I needed to send it out for service.

Sometimes, when I'm on vacation time, I'll turn it off or in airplane mode for a day or two, but that is about it.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Does 3 days in a foreign country without data roaming count? :p

Could only use apps without data unless I was on WiFi. The horror. Absolute horror.

24. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I went 17 months. Borrowed one of my parents cell phone on the weekends if needed.

25. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Only when I went on a 6 day cruise.. Does that count?