Have you got a gear image I can use?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by PhoneyDeveloper, Aug 17, 2009.

1. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Anyone happen to have an image of a gear that would be suitable for use as a navbar bar button item image?

I need a right bar button that goes to a settings view. A gear seems like it would be appropriate for this but I can't find one or draw a good one.

Here are two of my attempts:

Attached Files:

2. mccannmarc macrumors 6502

mccannmarc

We used this one for our options in Arctic Clock

[​IMG]

I know its being used in a different way that you will use it but anyway - an example of it in action

[​IMG]

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm gonna suggest somehow taking advantage of the "GEAR" character in the Apple Symbols font. (Unicode: 2669, UTF8: E2 9A 99).

4. PhoneyDeveloper thread starter macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Here's what it looks like as a bar button item. I think it looks good. Very detailed.

Thanks.

Oh and by the way, I'm using those two push pin images as well, the red one and the grey one. The red one indicates that it's active, the row has been pinned, and the grey one indicates not pinned. Tapping the pin toggles between the two images. Think they look OK?

Attached Files:

5. mccannmarc macrumors 6502

mccannmarc

You're welcome.

The pins look fine to me, might be worth passing them through a blur filter to get rid of the jaggies though, especially on the grey one

6. PhoneyDeveloper thread starter macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

@dejo, Trying to use that unicode gear character is a bit of a disaster. Simply setting the title of the barbuttonitem gives a little square. Trying to set up a bar button item with a label as a custom view also doesn't work.

I tried to build an image and draw the character but I couldn't figure out which font has it. I tried Symbol and Zapfino, as guesses.

I like mccannmarc's gear image so I'll go with that.

@mccannmarc, yeah the red image I borrowed from somewhere, the grey one I modified from the red one. I guess it needs a little more work.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, you can't use the gear character as text. You need to convert it to an image first and then use it as a tab/tool bar button's image. I did this in Photoshop by using the Text Tool and inserting the character of the 'Apple Symbols' font from the Character Palette into my layer.

No problem. Just be aware that if you use an image in a tab bar button, all definition of that image is derived from the alpha channel only and not the color channels. This can cause some unexpected results unless you adjust for that.

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You could try making a new Mac OS X Cocoa project and play with the built-in NSImageNameActionTemplate image. Or export it and change it around with Photoshop:

Code:
    NSImage *img = [NSImage imageNamed: NSImageNameActionTemplate];
    [img setSize:NSMakeSize(128.0, 128.0)];
    [[img TIFFRepresentation] writeToFile:@"/a/file" atomically:YES];