Have you gotten sick of essentially the same phone for 4 years now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jun 5, 2014.

1. TH55, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

TH55 macrumors 68030

The 5/5S is not that much different in form than the 4/4S. Even with iOS 7, which is not dramatically different either, it still feels sort of stale. How has Apple gotten away with this?

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

By building great phones that the consumer wants :cool:

If you're bored with the look of the phone, then get something else. I think a phone should be measured by how well it fits a need and works, then what it looks like. I'm not against visual design, but lets not put that ahead of other metrics.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What do you want it to do, make you coffee in the morning? Give you winning lottery numbers?

I have enjoyed every iteration of my iPhone from 3GS to 4 to 4s to my current 5

I have used the Galaxy S3 / S4 / Note for work and they do basically the same things

It is a phone with internet connection and some other nice apps... a tool that helps me with my work flow, keeps me connected and occasionally entertains me

Can't say that I am looking for it to do much more than that at this point
    Although I am looking forward to the new health apps/integration

Edit: ah, you more concerned about how it looks... on that score I think it looks fine :)

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Let me guess you are still using an old Blackberry!:p

I still use and enjoy my 5S and plan to continue so until it is replaced with the 6

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope not at all. I like the iPhone but it's more of a tool to me than anything else. Four years of a similar look isn't a big deal to me. Heck I drove the same 2003 Ford F-150 for over 11 years and I still liked the way it looked up to the day I traded it in for a new car.

7. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

I see what you mean. I kind of had the same feeling in the beginning. The solution to this for me was to just jailbreak my iPhone. By applying themes and tweaks, it suddenly felt like a total different iPhone. :)

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I think most people are probably bored with the overall look and feel, as well as the lack of features compared to droids. The ONLY reason I have stuck w iPhone is the smoothness of the interface.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you're wrong. Its your opinion and to be honest, I have a different opinion. The mock ups of the iPhone 6 looks great and given the amount of positive posts on those threads indicate a large audience waiting for the new phone, not because they have too because they're locked in, but because apple is producing a great phone, both functionally and visually.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Of course this is all a matter of everyone's opinion, but I have to choose the opposite of yours. I believe that many people are happy with it. It's not ugly and it has plenty of features and is overall, a high-quality product and experience that people have come to enjoy and expect.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Are you sick of your computer as well? Maybe you are not doing enough with your phone.

12. cynics macrumors G4

As much is to be expected by some. It's an iPhone, you can't keep buying the same model and expect worlds of difference. Same applies with everything Galaxy line phones, computers, cars, etc.

If you want massive change you need to be willing to try something totally different.

If not keep expecting minor improvements and features.

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

Apple isn't a company that's going to make drastic changes just for the sake of change.

iPhone is a great looking phone and has plenty of features that allows it to get the job done better than the competition. If you want dramatic changes each year then you should probably switch to different manufacturers each year. Most people who have iPhones love them and are satisfied with the design.

14. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I like the fact that the iPhone HASN'T changed that much. I know when I buy a new iPhone every two years that I will know EXACTLY how to use it from the word go! No learning curve makes GS a happy camper!

15. 882188 macrumors regular

Have you gotten sick of essentially the same legs and arms you have since birth?

16. I7guy macrumors G5

That the 5S is essentially unchanged since the 4 and sells like gangbusters, IMO, shows people aren't bored with it.

17. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Lol, the guy who complains about every single change ever made with iOS (see OP posting history) is now complaining about the lack of change? :D

And further to the point of this tread, the look and style of the iPhone is part of its brand. It's not gonna change radically, the same way cars keeps certain styling features similar between generations. Hence why when you compare a Mercedes from the 1970s up to the latest models, they still have their signature style carried over the decades.

18. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Hey everyone goes thru this, change phones get something else for awhile, in the end you'll realize it's what you can do with the phone that make the difference in the world. I went to a Nokia Lumia and I love the camera and Battery life, but in the end I miss some of the apps I used daily, so When the larger screen 6 comes out I will be changing back

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think its nearly impossible to maintain the same level of excitement that people had when they bought a smartphone (like an iPhone) for the first time.

Apple can add a bigger screen, touch ID -- and that provides a sense of novelty for awhile but eventually you get used to it.

20. Astorian macrumors newbie

Now that you mention it, I kind of am... :(

21. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

As its not been the same phone for 4 years, no.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Because it is great product that hasn't needed changing in any dramatic fashion. Other platforms change drastically because they are growing and finding a formula that works. The iPhone works and was successful early on, and if it wasn't then people would have moved to other things long before now.

23. 617aircav Suspended

Exactly. Maybe 4~4s and 5~5s are similar but not all four.

24. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I think I understand where you're coming from. No different from, say BMW (perhaps not the best analogy), every 5-6 years, the design changes, yet maintaining its heritage. Even annually, there's something slightly different that appeals.

25. Deguello macrumors 6502

I don't know about you, but I wasn't born with a 40" inseam and 39" sleeves. My mother is, I'm sure, very thankful that when I was born my arms and legs weren't remotely the same as they are now.

I'm pretty meh about my iPhone. It's cool. It works well. It integrates well with my iPad and iMac. Now that my monthly cost isn't inflated by a subsidy that more or less drove me to upgrade every two years to keep from paying something for nothing, I'm much less likely to upgrade as often. All the more so when the cost is damned near as much as a MacBook Air -- and I don't upgrade my Air every two years. That said, if the 6 has a larger screen, I'll buy one. Unless something drastic happens, I'll probably keep that one until it can no longer run the latest iOS.