Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many Apple Power Adapters have you had fail?

• None

Votes: 13 65.0%

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 1-3

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • > 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
If so how many times? Please tell if it is for a PowerBook/iBook or a MacBook/Pro/Air

Gerri Shin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
I;ve never actually had one fail on me, however just this past weekend I took my MBP in because it was acting up and I took my power adapter with me. aparently when they plugged it in they noticed that it was making a louder buzzing sound so they just swapped mine for a new one.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I accidentally kicked the s*** out of mine while it was plugged into the wall. The only part that broke was the removable "plug" off the adapter - it's still usable with the "extension cord" that came with it.

Still, not strictly an Apple design or quality control issue there, you see.

The ArchAngel

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Mine didn't exactly "fail" either, but some of the wire was starting to get exposed where the line from the magsafe end runs into the adapter brick, and by that I mean roughly 1mm of wire was exposed, so it wasn't much. Wasn't bad, and was probably my fault from winding it too tight, but when I took it to the Apple store they replaced it on the spot.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
I had two fail but only one failed by burning up. My second one was throwing sparks and smoking. PPC is all I have.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have 2. Originally one stayed at work and the other was the one that I carried around. As one would expect the one I carried daily has gotten rather beat up. The cord is frayed and I have a good amount of electrical tape on it. It makes me nervous at times, but it still works. I haven't had to get a replacement yet.The computer will be 2 in April. The adapter lasted longer then my MBP.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Yep. Bit the dust, just stopped working. But I liked it because now I have 2 sets of adapters (cords/wallplugs) that I can keep in separate places.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Hey I even found a picture of it when compared to the replacement. It was sad to see the magic smoke leave the old one...

Attachments

• IMG_2945.JPG
    IMG_2945.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 52
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.