Have you had any freezes yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bp1000, Aug 21, 2011.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I've had my mba 2011 since the day after launch. Tending to spend 8 - 14 hours a day with it on, heavy user i guess as it's my business tool.

I've had 2 complete lock up's since owning it, requiring a hard reset power off / on.

Do you reckon this is normal? No weird apps installed, in fact i think it froze in finder or safari.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I had one early on but nothing since. Was it a kernel panic? Did you get error messages either before it froze or after you restarted? If so, look in the Library to see if there are any crash logs (one would be created for every crash or kernel panic). Click on Finder, hold down the Option key and select Library from the Go menu. Once there, find the Logs folder, and then you'll see two folders underneath called CrashReporter and DiagnosticReports. See if you recognize any of the programs that led to a crash.

On my 2010 MacBook Air, I was getting kernel panics about weekly for a stretch (it was like Windows 95). It turned out to be a bad logic board.

3. bp1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks

I did check the console but the only crashes logged are ntfs failed mounts as my time machine drive has a NTFS partition and i uninstalled the mac-fuse driver.

I don't get any messages be ore after / rebooting. I haven't been able to isolate anything. I also trawled the system logs but nothing seems obvious there either.

If it's normal to expect a freeze once a month say then i guess it's ok. I am a heavy user but if normally you don't get any freezes i might book an appointment.

4. stevey69 macrumors regular

i have actually had 4-5 freezes. mostly dealing with safari and finder and sometimes the quicktime player doesn't play even tho i click the video file...then i have to quit the prog and try again and it works. however, the air seems to not be doing the job hence i got a mbp coming in on tuesday. i never had any hiccups on my mbp ever. the air is light .. no doubt about it... but I'm not willing to sacrifice performance. and mind you, i do have samsung ssd so its def not the ssd causing hiccups.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Maybe it was just the browser freezing up, in which it might not have actually crashed, but just slowed down for such a long time it looked like one. Did you try to force quit? Safari 5.1 is a memory hog and does need to be restarted every once in a while (the Resume feature is nice there)

If the MBP is running Lion, chances are you'll run into some of the same issues. I think a lot of us are experiencing bugs with Lion, but since the Air is new, too, it's difficult for us to separate Lion issues from Air issues. Lion needs a few more point updates before it will be ready for prime time.

6. stevey69 macrumors regular

not to mention i have also had a few beach balls here and there... and its not in appstore that I'm talking about. i don't know what the issues are... my wifi kept dropping all day and now I've updated and it seems like the wifi has been fixed... i just want a laptop that does things with no hiccups. perhaps the i5 is too weak for my taste? who knows.

7. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Nothing major to report. This is my primary so I probably spend upwards of 8hrs on it daily. Mostly text editors, browsing, and email. The only time the computer has locked up (and believe me I've been waiting for it, figured it had to happen sooner or later) was after I installed iStat3 and was playing with the system monitors in the upper menu bar. Nothing a quick restart didn't fix. Haven't seen the issue since.

The only time I see the beach ball, as many others have reported on various forums, is the App store.

8. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

in the little over two weeks that I've had my MBA, I have had to do at least 5 hard restarts because it won't wake up from sleep. It seems to be a fairly common problem with even the last generation MBA. Has anyone found a solution yet?

I'm not having beach balling issues or any problem with ram, I just go away from the computer for a few minutes and then it won't wake up. And its not an issue of my needs being too strong for the computer because its scores soooooo much higher than my old iMac and I never had that problem on it.

9. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

i just had one. wasn't doing anything major, had left the computer running over night. went on this morning and was able to access everything. then,while checking a web page suddenly just froze. checked the caps lock key to see if it would light up and no response. force quit did not bring up the quit list. had to force restart. strange.

10. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I've had one so far - it was shortly after a wake from sleep - that was a week or so ago and I've not had one since. I had to power off/on too.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

If you are getting that many freezes, I'd suggest taking it in to a Genius Bar. I was getting freezes like that all the time in my 2010 MacBook Air and it wound up being a bad logic board. They can run some diagnostics to rule out software causes first.

12. tuna macrumors 6502

I'm getting that many freezes. The computer locks up all the time and requires a hard reset. Sometimes I will wake it from sleep and it will only be a black screen, with my cursor as an arrow not able to click on anything. Sometimes it will show my login screen but my cursor will be the pinwheel and I also can't click on anything. And sometimes I'm actually logged in, but then all the sudden everything will start freezing up and I won't be able to either close apps (even with force quit), or open new ones. All requiring hard resets.

I expect a lot more from an Apple computer but I don't think there's any point in me taking it in to the Apple store just yet. Its too early on in the production for them to have caught all the problems, made changes, and then had those fixed models filter in to the supply chain. Plus I lucked out and got a Samsung SSD and Samsung LCD, so in case what I'm experiencing are mostly software issues, I rather wait to see if it gets patched in the next couple updates.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Once you are past the 14-day return window, Apple's standard policy is to send it for repairs, meaning that if it's the logic board as I suspect, they'll just replace that and leave your display and SSD as is. Did you look at the crash logs within your Library folder to identify if any particular application is causing the freezes? I doubt it is simply software, though, unless you have something that is incompatible with Lion that is causing all the freezes.

14. minnus macrumors 6502

Ah - I've had 2 complete lock ups as well since owning it for about a week. It was very random and I did not spend much time troubleshooting - returned the MBA a day after the second lock up. I had the 13" i7.

15. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I had two, both while heavily using treucrypt. Guess it doesn't work very well with lion yet. Both where expected as I had them also under snow leopard.
    I can't blame my mba/lion for this one IMHO.

16. Nioxic macrumors regular

i've had some issues with the picture preview program.. whatever its called in english :p

but eventually i've had it fixed without rebooting..

thats about it, so far! (i've not used it that much yet!)

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've had Preview lock up on me a few times, but nothing Force Quit couldn't handle. No total freezes.

18. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

1 week - none - hope I'm not tempting fate, and every app installed and setup up pretty much as i like and all super duper backed-up.

19. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

i am noticing that the problem seems to take place with safari. i have java installed and that has often been opened and running as well. maybe its a conflict?
    it is annoying though. sometimes the trackpad just seems to go unresponsive for a bit. then usually comes back on.

20. Gregabyte macrumors newbie

I didn't have any until I read this thread earlier today. Thanks a lot ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

[​IMG]

:D

22. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

The only issue that has caused freezing and other issues for me is Bluetooth. There is a bug that essentially causes the bluetooth and volume controls to become unresponsive when a bluetooth device loses contact with the Air (via battery dying or being out of range). Only a restart appears to resolve the issue.

As a heavy user of a bluetooth headset for VoIP purposes this is problematic.

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have not experienced this with my Magic Mouse. I often take the Air and move to another part of the house and I lose the connection, and I can see the mouse graphic come up on the screen and say connected when I get back in range. I have not observed any freezes. Does it only happen with the bluetooth headset or have you seen it with other bluetooth devices?

24. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I've had several...

...they were not kernel panics. I deleted a google mail app that ran at startup, and the problem seem to have gone away. The freezes occurred on both my 11" MBA and MBP, one running Lion and the other Snow Leopard, respectively.

25. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I don't have any other bluetooth devices than the headset at this point. I believe it is relates specifically to audio since the volume/mute functions become unresponsive alongside bluetooth when I encounter the issue.