Have you had this issue with Aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jinsou, May 13, 2012.

1. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

library “~/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary”.

And I already clicked on the icon while holding Command+Option and chose repair permissions and database.

When i choose database nothing happens, no progress bar or anything like when i choose permissions.

My database was getting a little big after having uploaded numerous Raw files. but it doesn't reach 5000 pictures I would say. Today I tried to open Aperture and it would hang in the "opening library" and in one point it totally freezed my macbook. had to force shut down.

I also located the Aperture library and double clicked it while holding Command+Option to see if it worked from there, and nothing.

Any Suggestions?

It says to use Rebuild Database(third option) as a last measure.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Have you manually gone into your A3 database? Do you have more than one user, or more than one computer sharing the same database?

If yes... that could be the cause of database corruption.

If no... then something may have happened to the database. Hopefully you have been making really good backups.

I would personally try to rebuild the database, but before doing so, I would make an extra backup copy just to be sure.

Also...are you using managed or referenced masters?

/Jim

3. Jinsou, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

Jinsou thread starter macrumors regular

Jinsou

Hello, and thanks for the response.

I have not touched the AP3 database manually at all. Only 1 user, 1 computer. I rebuilt the library which took a little while and Now the app opens, I managed to import a few RAW files from the last wedding i shot and then it crashed. And all it does is that after every launch it starts and then crashes after like a min of what i believe is doing is processing previews.

AP3 had been acting up, being extremely slow, I somewhat noticed the difference happen when i merged and old library 09' which as an AP2 one I believe with the new (AP3) one... , I had been lately researching out ways to speed up Aperture and found some .plist deleting and some cache deleting, but it worked fine afterwards.

This mac ( my third one ) seems like the slowest yet. 2.2Ghz 8Gb 750GB(5400rpm) MB15''. I have the Graphic cards switching off, so it's always on the 1Gb AMD card. Still I've felt there's something wrong with this laptop. (As i Write this it just froze, spinning beach ball and back). I know a 5400rpm hdd is a very slow one, I receive tomorrow a Seagate XD 750Gb 7200rpm, 6Gb ssd hybrid i recently bought on newegg. That should be the missing link.

Anyway I got off topic, any help will be appreciated. Oh and yes I do have Time machine Backups. I'm pretty sure I'll end up re-installing.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I really do not know the issues of merging an A2 library into an A3 library. Someone else might have to help you there.

By chance do you have faces turned on? I have found that it can really slow down a machine when first turned on.

/Jim

5. The Tech Fish macrumors member

I had a similar problem about 6 months ago, where every time I opened aperture, it would say 'opening library' or something like that, and then after a while, it would open, and a few seconds to minutes later would simply freeze up or crash.

It turned out that the cause of it was a bug in a recent update to aperture, and a few days later, there was another update released to address that problem.

So I would check if there are any updates for aperture, especially if you have updated anything on your machine lately.

I would also go into preferences > Previews and set the settings like this:

Screen shot 2012-05-14 at 11.33.42.png

What might be happening is that aperture is trying to generate previews for all of the new files that you have added, which basically means that it is creating a JPEG copy of each photo for the sake of iLife, I know that this seriously kills my machine just doing it on one import. I also found a 9GB file of the previews as well.

Anyway, I hope that you can sort your problem out, I know how annoying it is when your unable to process photos that are needed!

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Personally, I use previews because I like the way A3 shares across the entire suite of Apple SW products. I do agree the problem may be trying to process too many previews at once. By processing previews on every import, my iMac seems to take that task in stride. I have found a bigger issue with faces which seems to be much more processor intensive than previews.

I currently have faces turned off... but I am considering using it going forward. I've been advice to work faces in small batches, such as one project at a time. If I was to run it on all 51K pictures at once, I think my machine would choke.

/Jim